XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, so I experiment a lot with bags on bikes and have just bought an XSR700 2018. I want to get some bags for camping trips on it and wanted to see what others have done. I currently like Mosko Moto's Reckless 40, but don't think anyone has put one on an XSR before. I also like the look of SW Motech's molle tank strap.

Post pics of your set up, especially if custom!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
I use a pair of semi-rigid Hepco & Becker bags which mount on their C-Bow frames. These provide a very solid mount, sit close in to the bike and still look fairly tidy when the panniers are off. The tank bag is an old one from Marsee which has seen several changes of bikes over the years! If I'm carrying a lot of gear, I strap a roll bag across the top of the rear seat/panniers. It's a set up that works for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not impressed with off-the-shelf offerings (for style or price!) I wanted something simple yet functional. I made my own lightweight support system for saddlebags, while the "saddle bag" itself is an inexpensive dry-bag style backpack that is totally waterproof (cost me $20). The frame is a DIY light steel semi-circle attached to the frame where the rear pillion pegs go and at the other end with a "U" bolt
Here on a camping trip

wrong track by gnarlydog, on Flickr

road less traveled by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Bush camp at dusk by gnarlydog, on Flickr

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a SW Motech 50l Cargo bag Tail bag if anyone is interested (too much for my needs!). Never been used! Cost £160, will sell for £99 posted (U.K).

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not impressed with off-the-shelf offerings (for style or price!) I wanted something simple yet functional. I made my own lightweight support system for saddlebags, while the "saddle bag" itself is an inexpensive dry-bag style backpack that is totally waterproof (cost me $20). The frame is a DIY light steel semi-circle attached to the frame where the rear pillion pegs go and at the other end with a "U" bolt

Nice set up, do you have a bash plate on the bottom of the bike? I do a bit of green laning and am always worried about snagging the exhaust!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nice set up, do you have a bash plate on the bottom of the bike? I do a bit of green laning and am always worried about snagging the exhaust!
Yes, I have made a DIY carbon/Kevlar bashplate that protects the sump (only) while the "can" of the exhaust underneath remains a bit vulnerable. I had a look recently and while I saw a few pitting marks from rocks flicked up on dirt roads there are no signs of impacts or dents. I have seen some custom bashplates for the XSR700 but honestly they felt a bit overkill/too bulky. My main concern is not to put a hole in the sump.
Here are the details https://www.xsr700forums.com/forum/...ssories/9922-diy-carbon-fibre-sump-guard.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a close up photo of the semi-circle attachment you made for the panniers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I,ve got that SW Motech 50l Tail bag for sale at £90 posted if interested! (Unused - See page 1)
Ha, good coincidence! I'll see how I go on my next trip (Ardennes in a week) with my current set up.

I'm rocking a Kriega us20 and a 30L dry bag; works a treat so far but it's tricky getting to your stuff mid-ride (got to pack thoughtfully) 😋

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I found something pretty awesome:

The Kriega US5 bottom straps fit perfectly onto the tank screws of the xsr700. So I bought some washers, longer screws and some rubber o-rings and mounted it tonight.

The top would get in the way of filling up the fuel tank if it was filled to the brim, but if only 80% full you can get the fuel pump in fine.

Pretty cool I think! Avoid the need for ugly straps and perfect for bike cover, lock, water bottle, documents etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
sorry: I am out of town and can't take any pix of my machine rigth now. If you can hang till end of August I can provide some
This is the best I can do right now https://flic.kr/p/2gfuyZ6

WHatt? I've taken dirt and dual sport bikes on roads like that, but never thought to take my XSR700. I was drawn to this bike because the posture is like riding a dirt bike, and I've already taken it on a basic dirt road, but was worried about not having a bash plate.

Is that a rotopax gas can on there? How did you mount it? This is giving me all kinds of ideas. This bike could be a contender for Rally Raid kit, it's pretty light. They already have one for the Honda CB500X.

·
Registered
328 Posts
WHatt? I've taken dirt and dual sport bikes on roads like that, but never thought to take my XSR700. I was drawn to this bike because the posture is like riding a dirt bike, and I've already taken it on a basic dirt road, but was worried about not having a bash plate.

Is that a rotopax gas can on there? How did you mount it? This is giving me all kinds of ideas. This bike could be a contender for Rally Raid kit, it's pretty light. They already have one for the Honda CB500X.
I like the XSR700 as a light-duty dirt bike because it's not heavy, has plenty of usable power, is reliable and simple.
I used to ride a Tenere600 (years ago) and while it was a more capable dirt bike it was not a lot of fun on road. Single cylinder was a bit shaky...

The extra fuel can is NOT a Rotopax but a eBay very sturdy can (similar to Rotopax) that holds 3.5 liters. I mounted it on the rear loop of the frame with the provided "U" bolts however one needs to put a steel plate (small disk) under the plastic receiver to prevent deformation when bolting it down tight. I no longer use that style but have gone for Givi 2.5 Lt can that sits up front, next to the radiator. It rests on the frame sliders "knobs"

saved from fire by gnarlydog, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 36 Posts