XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone painted their radiator black, i personally find the silver radiator very distracting and ugly on the bike and i am planning to paint it.

I plan to use some normal rattle-can heat resistant paint which can be used to paint engine blocks (now i think about it, normal spraypaint should be ok as well as the radiator doesn't get much warmer than 100° celcius).

now i was wondering if i should be worried about limiting the cooling capacity when doing this (my gut says it should be ok but it would be helpfull to hear from someone who has tried it)

and if there is someone that did this i would like to know which paint they used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would hesitate to put a blanket of paint on a radiator as it will limit heat transfer and air flow. If you want a black radiator have it anodized.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
You should be OK painting the sides and top & bottom sections, but I agree it would be best not to clog up the cooling fins with paint....better to go with a black radiator guard which doesn't limit airflow as much as a liberal spray of paint would. It'll also provide some protection against stone damage. I use the Yamaha optional accessory guard which seems fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

I ordered a radiator guard and will be painting the radiator by first putting a light mist coat on the side of the ends of the fins, taping them off afterwards and painting the rest of the radiator afterwards

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was wondering if anyone painted their radiator black, i personally find the silver radiator very distracting and ugly on the bike and i am planning to paint it.

I agree, why would they use the silver? It gives the appearance of zinc coat galvanize.

Purchased an R&G Rad guard in black, it covers the fins well and looks good.
managed to paint the side Rad guards flat black using automotive epoxy spray paint. (so far so good)
but,
now for the radiator itself?
going to do some more research before i mess with that...

thanks for the helpful hints all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wise move getting the R&G guard as a lot are steel mesh.
If you paint the rad I suggest you remove it so you can clean in soapy water to remove any oil?grease before painting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well finally finished the rad paint project.
used flat black 1,200° grill paint for the main rad.
and used automotive epoxy for the side guards.

soryy for the darkness in pic quality, it was raining outside.
will take some more pics once i get it outside.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Looks good - inspires me to get on with painting the side panels on mine. What are those toys to either side of your XSR?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks good - inspires me to get on with painting the side panels on mine. What are those toys to either side of your XSR?

Thank you, as for the other toys, there is the 2013 650 KLR that I gifted to my daughter. (which she loves!)
and the other is the 2014 650 DR (daughters boyfriend)
out of frame we have a 2010 pink 250R ninja. (daughters 1st. bike), and a little old 1,200 sportster.(collecting dust for some odd reason)
And the watchdog is Grizzly.

always something to tinker with...

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I finally removed the radiator last weekend to paint it.

These are the steps I followed :
-gave everything a good wash in some warm water with some soap (used a brush to get all the dead insects off)
-blew it dry with compressed air (not too close to the actual fins)
-sanded everything down with some course sand paper (got the side plates blasted at a friend's place with fine abrasive)
-taped off the fins, hose connections and filler neck (decided not to put any paint on the fins and install a radiator cover)

-degreased everything with some white spirit
-put two coats of primer on it (two consecutive days with no sanding in between)
-still have to apply the top coat

Some pictures below

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Everyone. It was mentioned above the side radiator covers were painted with a flat black epoxy automotive spray paint. I think to good effect. I see that satin is more common, not flat for epoxy.

Can anyone who has painted the covers speak to if satin comes out good?

It seems to be that the frame tubing is a satin black, but please correct me if I'm wrong and it's more of a flat black.

Thank you!

-Dan

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here's what I got:

For radiator side covers:
VHT SP652 Satin Black Epoxy All Weather Paint Can - 11 oz.

And for the radiator itself (not the fins just the borders of the radiator:

KBS XTC jet black coating in 8 oz can I can brush on without needing to remove the radiator (again not painting the fins)

Based on on old posts and research these look like the best choices for ease of use and decent color match.

I'll post how it goes and some after pics.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The VHT epoxy paint is amazing. Only thing that isn't perfect is paint dug up around the Allen bolts fastening the side covers. I can sand the circles and repaint but won't bother until I figure out a way to not damage the paint or cover up the bolt area better. It's fine though and I'm still happy with it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think i'll nick out the paint that got turned up around the screws and repaint those areas. Let dry. Then put a little grease under the screw heads before torquing to see if it keeps the paint intact.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was thinking of black plastidip for my guards. Anybody tried that yet?
It works great. It doesn't chip as easily as I though it would. I sprayed black plastic-dip on the radiator side covers and bolts. You can put on smooth or textured depending on how you lay down the paint. I went with matt texture. Looks pretty good. I like that If I ever change my mind, I can just pesl it off. Bike is in shop or I'd show a picture.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts