XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
'22
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While replacing the rear sprocket (44T instead of the stock 43T) I noticed the black ring/guide on top of the sprocket was slightly greasy. So I took a rag with a bit of WD40 to wipe off the grease and to my surprise it removed the paint completely! It only took two wipes before I could see bare metal.

After that discovery I decided to just clean/strip that part completely and just repaint it myself, so it won't rust anytime soon.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Rim Jewellery

Rim Audio equipment Gas Wood Automotive tire

Are there any other places on the bike that need preventive care like this?

While searching the forum I also found some results about the paint finish on the coolant water pipes. Has the paint quality of the coolant pipes gotten any better over time? I'll definitely not be cleaning them with any solvent based products like WD40... 馃槃

Registered
Hi,
I don't think the paint finishes are the best. I use loads of 'maintenance spray' to clean mine but have not seen any peeling paint from using those products. Who knows what has been on your chain before you got to changing the sprocket.
In addition to the bits you have come across the swingarm is one to watch..

Registered
'22
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@nickmac73 I bought the bike in September 2022, as a demo with only 500 km's on the odo. It's done like 1000km now so I suspect it has only seen chainlube twice in it's lifetime 馃槃

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on the swingarm!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts