XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first 'big bike', XSR700 after riding Lambretta's for years....My question is this...Looking into the chain cleaning/lube etc, what do people use to raise the back end? I see there are bobbins that can be attached to assist with a paddock stand. Are thse essential n(£35-£40ish) or are there alternatives? Don't really want to go down the centre stand route...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I use a stand without the bobbins, bought it 40 euros, any aftermarket center stand is over 160 euro, I don't think it's worth the money

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Same as bbninja i use front and rear paddock stands without the need for bobbins. I got mine from ghostbikes.com very inexpensive too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I presume you put the flat 'cups' of the paddock stand under the swingarm without any issues?
Sorry if I sound thick!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm totally rubbish at practical stuff but bought a paddock stand a couple of weeks ago. It's changed my life! Maybe that's a bit dramatic. Makes cleaning a lot easier but also lubricating the chain. I got one without bobbins, on amazon and it's awesome. Think it was about £30.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Graham,
I've been given one virtually identical to that....Where do you place the flat of the 'lifting cup'? Directly under the rear axle/spindle (where the bobbins would effectively go), or further along the swingarm - only I thought that might cause damage??

·
Registered
30 Posts
To be honest I'm really not that precise! They're well coated in rubber so they won't mark the swing arms at all. I'm just making sure there's not a lot of excess movement side to side at all.
I put the bike on the centre stand, raise it a little with a brick so it's almost balancing on it's tyres (but not quite!) then off we go. It's very solid and money well spent. Makes life a lot easier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Pazzo....it's where you locate the paddock stand on the bike if you don't get the bobbins/hooks that I was concerned about

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
If you go on you tube it shows you how to put your bike on such a stand as it can be fiddly on your own if not used to it. But anywhere towards the back end of the swingarm, usually just forward of the axle should be fine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got a cheapish one on amazon that can be converted for both front or back and has the fixings for lifting with or without bobbins. It's a pain in the back side to use, not very stable and a nuisance to store or transport.
I'm going to get one of those abbastands, thanks guys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just tried this paddock stand I was given - works a treat - no bobbins, so that's about £40 saved....
Thanks for the input guys.
On to the next daft question!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi I bought the Oxford paddock stand from sportsbike shop online .

I am new to big bike and was a bit worried about the back end being lifted and how stable it would be.

I just used the rubber pads that came with the stand and adjusted it to the size of the swingarms and up it went solid as a rock and really easy to do and clean chain etc.

I did make some bobbins at work but find i just didnt need them

Mark

1 - 20 of 25 Posts