XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XSR700 has done 10800miles since March'18. During my pre-winter clean I noticed the chain tension was varying and after a close look I realised I had a tight link. When the tight link goes round the front sprocket it tightens the lower run. The chain was quite loose, so I gave it a clean and tensioned it a little. I've not ridden it much over winter, but I went to work on it a couple of days before Xmas (bike ran really smoothly!). I had another close look at it yesterday and the tight link is still obvious and I thought there was anther tight one too! I don't use the bike often in winter, but I do like to give it few runs over winter. I don't have a Scottoiler.
This seems to be a little disappointing for the original chain? 11k doesn't sound much, although it is almost 3years running. What chain life have others achieved?
Is this chain ready for the bin, or it there anything that can be done? I've tried to oil and work the tight link, but it doesn't get much better.
I wore chains out on my last bike (Triumph ST1050) but I never got tight links, the chain just wore out/stretched.
Cheers, Tony

·
Registered
341 Posts
10.8 kilomiles is not that much, but the OEM kit lasts about 20 kmi max. Then it is worn out mostly. Anyhow, a good moment to check the chain slider on the swing arm as well. It is done in a comparable period.

My little pony did 20 kmi with the OEM kit, but the chain slider was completely worn through down to the metal of the swing arm.

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
111 Posts
Long gaps in service, or foul conditions could shorten chain life.
JT makes OEM grade steel sprockets, at a reasonable cost.
RK chains have treated me well over the years.
I will go to the more common, and slightly lighter 520 pitch chain and sprockets.
OEM manufacturers use 525 on our bikes and many others, why? I will never understand.
I ran 520 on my Hayabusa with double the horsepower, and torque.
You save a small ammount of weight, but since it is rotating mass, it is more benificial, arguably there is a tiny horsepower-effiency gain.

·
Registered
585 Posts
When you get a link that doesn't swivel likes it's made to do it is probably seized between the "O" rings so the pin has probably rusted and you've lost the lube in there that the factory puts in during assembly. I would change the chain and the sprockets. I would ask what kind of chain maintenance do you do an how often. I hate to ask really because it's a subject that everyone seems to be an expert on but I check my chain weekly at least, clean it after every time I ride in rain, and lube it with Maxima chain wax. That's just my method but I've got about 9000 miles on my chain, it's clean, still moves smoothly, and I've only used probably 1/4 in of adjustment on my tensioner. I expect to get at least another season (about 5000 miles) out of the chain. I'm not sure what brand chains Yamaha uses but they do seem to be pretty good in my way of looking at things.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers. I keep an eye on the chain and lube it when it looks dry. Nowhere near FlyerDon's chain maintenance though, so I probably need to do more! Looks like I need a new chain and sprockets - a job to do before spring I reckon. I noticed another couple of issues whilst doing my pre-winter clean:
Chain slider - found some rusty bits underneath. Cleaned and ACF50'd and resolved to keep an eye on this in future. The slider was in good condition though.
Front sprocket - big build up of chain gunk here. Cleaned it out and resolved to clean out regularly.
Ermax hugger. Removed this to clean underneath and found some rusting on the swingarm. You guessed it - clean, ACF50, remove more regularly in future.
I suppose getting a brand new bike and having it dealer serviced meant me doing less of the jobs I would do on my old Triumph. I intend to buy the XSR at the end of the 3yr finance deal, so I need to get on top of the regular servicing pronto !
Tony

·
Registered
341 Posts
Long gaps in service, or foul conditions could shorten chain life.
JT makes OEM grade steel sprockets, at a reasonable cost.
RK chains have treated me well over the years.
I will go to the more common, and slightly lighter 520 pitch chain and sprockets.
OEM manufacturers use 525 on our bikes and many others, why? I will never understand.
I ran 520 on my Hayabusa with double the horsepower, and torque.
You save a small ammount of weight, but since it is rotating mass, it is more benificial, arguably there is a tiny horsepower-effiency gain.
Do you have the replace or alternative identifier for the 520 sprocket and chain wheel?

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
111 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thank you very much. Too bad that it is in the States and the compare types are not given nor the dimensions for fastening.

Anyhow, thanks again!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I sold my first XSR last year after 2,5 years and 31.200 km.
The chain was still in a very good condition.
I also ride in winters but I always use automatic chainoilers on my motorbikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts