XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
that is one tough oil filter that appears it didn't want to budge...
I opt for K&N filters where they have a handy hex bolt head: size 17mm spanner and it comes off real easy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
that is one tough oil filter that appears it didn't want to budge...
I opt for K&N filters where they have a handy hex bolt head: size 17mm spanner and it comes off real easy.
I was trying the small screwdriver trick, until I almost tipped over the bike and the screwdriver started bending. Then I knew it was time to bring in the big guns :laugh:

The filter has an awkward position next to the cooler reservoir so you can't make a decent turn with the filter, that's why it has so many holes in it. I promise I didn't shoot it!!

Registered
I was trying the small screwdriver trick, until I almost tipped over the bike and the screwdriver started bending. Then I knew it was time to bring in the big guns :laugh:

The filter has an awkward position next to the cooler reservoir so you can't make a decent turn with the filter, that's why it has so many holes in it. I promise I didn't shoot it!!
did you install that filter or was it the shop?
because oil filters need very little torque when installed: some say hand tight and then half a turn further with a tool

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
The bike had 4600kms on the odometer when I bought it second hand. Could have been the previous owner, or a careless job by a shop. It does explain why my filter removal tool just slipped along the surface. At least now I'm sure the next time I have to take it off it won't be such a hassle.

Registered
Just an FYI, although the XSR filter is pretty easy for access to change, I found the filter wrench for the Honda CRV (car) fits the stock filter perfectly. I use a cast aluminum version rather than stamped steel.

Registered
Far too many people over-tighten their oil filters. About a turn or maybe less after the gasket makes contact will usually be more than enough to do the job. I have several oil filter wrenches just so I always have something that will do the trick. I presently have a K&N filter that has a 17 MM (I think) nut on the end so you can use a wrench and that makes the job a bit easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts