XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I modified a stock exhaust that I bought (cost me 50€ on eBay).
1) you cut the muffler with a grinder (you just need to cut at this place. No need to open the muffler like in the picture)
2) you cut the pipe inside (with a grinder)
3) you cut the external pipe (with a grinder)

Then, you just have to :
- Remove the internal pipe
- Make a weld on the outside of the muffler
- Weld a bigger external pipe (40mm)

The sound is whaooooo ! For only 50€ (thanks to my friend who make the welds !)

The last pic is the stock Exhaust without any modification. See the difference of diameter !

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did this at the weekend - chopped up a spare MT07 exhaust I got cheap, and TIG welded a new larger diameter stainless outlet pipe back on.

what I hadnt realised until 2 weeks ago, the previous owner had drilled holes next to the outlet - covered up by the shroud, I could see them. This is a terrible idea because you then have both the regular pressure pulses going through the full system, and also shortened pressure pulses bypassing one of the baffle chambers.

So anyway, I welded them back up.
Obviously it was then quieter ;) but much more importantly, the engine felt a lot smoother at low revs. So backing up the theory that messing with the exhaust pulses in the silencer is not a good idea!

Anyway, swapped the stock system for my modded system on Saturday, and took it out for a 100mile blast yesterday.
The smoothness is still there, economy hasn't suffered, and the downpipes are still a nice straw colour - so I think the fuelling is fine with it.

more importantly, it sounds excellent! and cost me £35 for a spare exhaust system!

·
Registered
2 Posts
What an awesome idea! A great way to have a better sounding stock exhaust. Quick questions just to confirm... the MT-07 exhaust is the same as the XSR700, but are all the years similar? I have a 2020 XSR700 and was wondering what used exhaust I could get.

Cheers,

·
Registered
89 Posts
I guess only EURO4 exhaust of MT-07 ist the same...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts