XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ohlins service shop was in my bike's front forks to do annual service this off-season (extends NIX-22 & STX-46 warranty) and they found some OEM fork parts that are showing a lot of wear, considering one season of riding & mileage (22K). Parts are the fork spindles & metal slides - they are teflon impregnated but look like too much/too fast wear (shop's description not mine). Yes I ride alot in a year and I like killer brakes.

Parts (#11,#31 Spindle, Taper and #9,#29 Metal, Slide. I checked out the parts, heavy wear/worn out. Somehow to me, it feels like exactly what I should expect. They ordered replacement parts from Race Tech, and next year I will be checking my notes and we will be looking at these aftermarket parts to see how they worked out.

Just fyi stuff ---- 2019 XSR700

I'll attach pics of parts shortly.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My last years observations here: Hello from Germany (NRW)

Even after 40 tkm no remarkable 'too much/too fast'. Showing part 4,24 in the picture, there is some wear, but not that heavy that it must have been changed. There is still a layer of PTFE visible and not worn down to the copper ground of the sleave.
From the practical side, the fork was open and dismantled, so re-assembling with new sleaves or sliders was opportune.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes your single pic looks acceptable, as you say it shows some wear but teflon remains good to go.

I will post pics of my parts, I couldn't carry all my stuff on bike, will be back at shop to pick them up. Wear has removed significant teflon, and there is a pattern (inside & out) sleeves.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Who picked up the tab for that work, you or the shop? Whenever I'm told a part needs to be replaced, I ask for the wear limit and the reading they got before I'm willing to pay for work. Perhaps the parts were out of spec but in all my riding, I can't remember a single fork repair that I had to do before I noticed a leak or other p0erformance issue first.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who picked up the tab for that work, you or the shop? Whenever I'm told a part needs to be replaced, I ask for the wear limit and the reading they got before I'm willing to pay for work. Perhaps the parts were out of spec but in all my riding, I can't remember a single fork repair that I had to do before I noticed a leak or other p0erformance issue first.
I get your thinking, this one is different. Go pull up on fz07.org this thread started in 2015.

Wrong fork bushings installed at factory - heavy wear ensues

Showa had a combination of mfg mistakes, bad machining/size on fork lowers, slider bushings have poor teflon coating, they put the wrong metal slider/bushings, in fork legs on a lot of bikes, the fz, svg650, ...

Everybody knows about it except a lot of people like me who don't. It's been happening since 2015 and still is happening.

Fix is just go source the right bushings, I hope that means Race Tech that's what I got, AllBallsRacing got correct replacements also (apparently).

Just references to what that whole thread is about, I don't mind, my happiness doesn't depend on $18 metal sliders. But I will document here with pictures to come, my wear problems discovered this year and next year show the goods - does Race Tech sliders fix it?

Every time I see something about KAW 900RS I think about that grin u must have, tooling around town.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My problem with that thread from the named forum is, that I can not see if this is a single event or a common occurrence.

I do not see the popping up reports of worn bushings in the forks around the world. I did not hear about a Yamaha recall regarding the bushings. Which is a typical Yamaha reflex in maintaining quality standards.
I just see reports about noiseless servicing and endless kilometers on the clock of the little CP2.

So in my little world of imagination it makes a lot of work just to build faulty forks for the North American market. The whole 'wrong fork bushings installed - heavy wear' sounds more like something seen but not completely understood, writing it in a forum, and some others create a ghost pain.

I have seen, felt and stated for good what my fork condition is, as reported. Following my estimation from above, this would be a comparable complexity to build a correct fork only for me. Or the other way round, if I do not state the opposite, I do not think that there are faulty forks built.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I get your thinking, this one is different. Go pull up on fz07.org this thread started in 2015.

Wrong fork bushings installed at factory - heavy wear ensues

Showa had a combination of mfg mistakes, bad machining/size on fork lowers, slider bushings have poor teflon coating, they put the wrong metal slider/bushings, in fork legs on a lot of bikes, the fz, svg650, ...

Everybody knows about it except a lot of people like me who don't. It's been happening since 2015 and still is happening.

Fix is just go source the right bushings, I hope that means Race Tech that's what I got, AllBallsRacing got correct replacements also (apparently).

Just references to what that whole thread is about, I don't mind, my happiness doesn't depend on $18 metal sliders. But I will document here with pictures to come, my wear problems discovered this year and next year show the goods - does Race Tech sliders fix it?

Every time I see something about KAW 900RS I think about that grin u must have, tooling around town.
I don't regret the move to the Z900RS, but it's in a different class than the XSR700. I got a very good price for my old XSR700 but I also paid full price for the Z900RS Cafe too. I can tell you that if I still had the XSR700 and there was proof that Yamaha put defective front ends on the bike I'd be in court. I had to threaten Harley Davidson when I experienced disk brake problems with my 2007 V-Rod. When my lawyer contacted Milwaukee they immediately put a whole new front end on the bike. That was after four pairs of new disks in only about 9000 miles. I had taken it to four different dealers and it still wasn't repaired correctly. I ended up trading it for a Suzuki M109R as soon as I got it back from the last repair because I couldn't trust the thing. I hated the Suzuki too and got rid of it within a year. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, you just have to be determined.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's my slides, the wear pattern is normal and acceptable on about 240 degrees of the slides, but 120 degrees shows complete teflon degration, down to shiny metal.

img1.jpg

and below, the 240 degrees of normal expected wear...

That's very different from the post on fz07.org in 2015 where they speculated about the factory selecting the 'wrong" size of slides. From that post, every pic shows slides that are "uniformly" worn out, there are no wear patterns so to speak, the slides were just prematurely shot.

I have an idea what's going on here, but don't want to short circuit any clever ideas other might have about the pattern.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My problem with that thread from the named forum is, that I can not see if this is a single event or a common occurrence.
Yes., I agree that thread just stopped without any real absolute answer, and there was no "continuing reports" of problems. It was not a factory part selection problem imo. Doesn't matter, because my wear pattern really is a pattern on the slides, not universal wear. Something other than those problems from 2015 is involved

·
Registered
411 Posts
[..]
I have an idea what's going on here, but don't want to short circuit any clever ideas other might have about the pattern.
Difficult to say from distance and through a forum. A bended front fork or one installed under tension does not show necessarily that uniform pattern on both legs. How do the upper bushings look like, same same only the other way round?

What were your observations when uninstalling the fork legs, what did the workshop say when dismantling? What was the condition of the oil? How straight are the inner tubes, I would check first.

So let us hear what your conclusions are, or your idea.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So let us hear what your conclusions are, or your idea.
The speed shop is owned by a long time asphalt track racer, bikes and cars, he sponsers the mechanic who works on my bike. They have takin me in because they know I'm struggling medically, they protect me from making bad decisions and offer advice. The check every mod I do before and after, like I was a son, not a customer. The check everything.

The tubes are straight, the oil was dirty, the upper bushings were normal, they had not lost any significant teflon (but we're replaced also with RaceTech parts, just like the lowers so we can see next off season if they solve anything). My forks have gaitors to protect from dirt and dead bugs getting into the fork oil.

I did not see the end ring gap of the lower slide when they are on the tube, but measures match slides that have 1mm end ring gap (not the large 5mm gap).

I believe this wear is entirely the result of the extreme braking I do all the time. I enjoy pulling big negative G's, I brake late on curves, like on a track (always when no riders/traffic are behind me) and on straight stops too. I practice the most extreme emergency braking every couple weeks. I had to disable ABS because it interferes. I easily out break ABS because I practice.

I think it's all me, my riding style. I ride this way because I was taught to learn and practice extreme braking by older brothers. That's why the Ohlins nix-22 up front, EBC HH pads, Dunlop Q3+. And all this extreme braking and long hard miles (22K miles in 7 months last year) is a rehabilitation and stimulates my bones to grow, while they are being attacked on the inside by out of control white cells. I was supposed to do rehab, I treat this bike as an exercise machine.

Doctors can't explain why I'm doing so well, but I know it's this tough fun riding that turns me into a muscle mouse. Moto keeps me going, and if I wear some parts fast, no problem.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am absolutely convinced about the curative effect of a positive mindset. So if it is helping: Yes your very hard riding made the bushings wear...

For all the others, no, I do not believe that by 'hard braking' an increased wear like shown can be achieved. I even do not insist to reach out some braking figures to compare them with other realistic figures from comparable bikes. Anyhow, when somebody starts with 'I ride hard' etc. it is the first moment I stop listening.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am absolutely convinced about the curative effect of a positive mindset. So if it is helping: Yes your very hard riding made the bushings wear...

For all the others, no, I do not believe that by 'hard braking' an increased wear like shown can be achieved. I even do not insist to reach out some braking figures to compare them with other realistic figures from comparable bikes. Anyhow, when somebody starts with 'I ride hard' etc. it is the first moment I stop listening.
I really like you hombacher because your smart and you always say what you mean. I probably am wrong, I didn't make that happen, but it's all I got to explain any of it.

Thanks for that tough clear obvious info. And please do keep after me every time I wonder in the woods looking for reasons. You are a great help to me and everybody else. Next year we will check the race techs slides, and if they are worn, I'll get some measures of the tubes inside tubes. We see if fork leg or stanchions milling is ok.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts