XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride today, just 40 miles or so, nice day for it etc etc.

Stopped to take photo, turned engine off using the key as usual.

Turned key back to 'on' and the starter motor turned over and the engine fired up immediately without me touching the starter button... turned it off and back on and same happened again.

Was only a mile from home so rode back, turned it off, pulled out key and re-inserted and it went through start-up routine as usual and fired up on the button as normal.

One thing I noticed before I stopped for photo was that the ticker suddenly ran high - about 3000rpm.

Anyone had anything similar happen?

·
Registered
36 Posts

Turned key back to 'on' and the starter motor turned over and the engine fired up immediately without me touching the starter button... turned it off and back on and same happened again.

Was only a mile from home so rode back, turned it off, pulled out key and re-inserted and it went through start-up routine as usual and fired up on the button as normal.

One thing I noticed before I stopped for photo was that the ticker suddenly ran high - about 3000rpm.

Not in XSR but I had that kind of problem in my Aprilia Shiver. You should contact the Yamaha service because it is possible that your bike is going to start the engine while driving and that is not a good thing! That happened in many Aprilia Shivers too before Aprilia made some changes.
Uti

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not in XSR but I had that kind of problem in my Aprilia Shiver. You should contact the Yamaha service because it is possible that your bike is going to start the engine while driving and that is not a good thing! That happened in many Aprilia Shivers too before Aprilia made some changes.
Uti
Never had this bother with my shiver!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had this same issue, it's appears to be a defect on a few of Yamaha's bikes with the same switch-gear.

The starter switch doesn't fully return to it's neutral position and thus keeps triggering the starter-motor when the engine isn't running.

It can look like the switch is in it's normal position but it only needs to be off by a hair for this to happen. Mine seemed fixed itself with use but I always center the switch with my thumb after starting the bike just to be safe!

..I also found with this issue that my bike would cut off for a brief second when changing gear as the in-gear sensor was telling the bike it wasn't in gear between changes and thus to run the starter-motor, only noticeable in the dark though as the headlight would dip on and off as the starter-motor pulled a heavy current from the battery.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took in for service and Yamaha guy confirmed sticky switch issue. He slathered it in some lube and it has been OK since.

Didn't stop it getting a nail in the tyre though.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Yes. Just recently discovered a strange issue very similar. Bike would rev higher, make a strange noise and engine light on. It's the ignition "switch" sticking between start/run. I was told it's not trying to start but the starter is hung up therefore bike revs to stay going and engine light on. Just pushing it back to run fixed immediately. Just sprayed a bit of dry lube in and it's better. Still not a strong enough spring but consciously knowing will form a habit of pushing it back.

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
Still not a strong enough spring but consciously knowing will form a habit of pushing it back.
Yes...it's a habit all owners should try to acquire asap. One day we'll have a better starter switch arrangement, or at least a stronger spring. Six years on from the bike's launch, you'd think Yamaha's engineers might have sorted it by now!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts