XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2017 Yamaha XSR 700
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my bike out for a ride today in the cold and the rain after a couple of weeks of sitting idle in the garage, and somewhere around the midpoint of the ride, the check engine light came on.

I'm guessing that it's a low voltage issue with the battery: I have a 2017 model, the battery has never been changed out, and throughout the last riding season, the battery has been making trouble; it went flat on two separate occasions, the starter always sounds a little weak, and I've experienced my heated grips refusing to turn on due to low voltage as well. I was planning on switching the battery out during the winter anyway, so it's just as well.

I've ordered a new battery, but this is still just a guess though. I don't have an OBD2 reader to check the actual error codes - does anyone have recommendations on which one to buy? I have no experience with them - are they a general tool, or model/make specific?

· Registered
187 Posts
Hi,
a flat battery could throw up fault codes as you say. I think OBD2 readers are pretty much the same plus you will need a Yamaha cable to connect.
Any other extras you have fitted may also be the cause, like power commanders, alarms etc.

· Registered
2017 Yamaha XSR 700
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
a flat battery could throw up fault codes as you say. I think OBD2 readers are pretty much the same plus you will need a Yamaha cable to connect.
Any other extras you have fitted may also be the cause, like power commanders, alarms etc.
Thanks man, I'll be sure to get the cable too!

· Registered
327 Posts
Just a note for the Gen II bikes, they use a 6 pin OBD II connector, not the 4 pin version. I found that out a little late, so if any US riders of bikes up to '21 need the cable, I have a new one I can't use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts