XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I thought I'd skip an introduction post as I'm not sure how long i'll be here for as I'm not having the best of times with my XSR700.

Purchased my XSR back in Aug 2016, from around October time there has been a noise coming from the ABS pump and some clunking noises while braking, I've taken the bike to the dealership who said they tested the pump and told me the diagnostics has passed to which they disregarded the issue to salt on the brakes, then charged me £20 for cleaning them when I only asked for the diagnostics to be done, I just paid them and left before I caused myself an issue. Taken the bike to another local Yamaha reseller who don't sell anything over 125cc but service all Yamaha models and had them test the pump, to which the engineer who ran the test recorded a video of the test and showed me that it passed but it was making a heck of a noise. Due to the fact they don't sell anything over 125cc and have never done the same test on an XSR700 he couldn't confirm if it was normal.

I've watched countless videos with raw audio and never heard similar noises, frankly its not what you expect from a new bike.

Not sure where to go from here but sale maybe an option, I've got an audio recording of the noise but not sure how I can share on the forums.

Let me know what you think,
Squaz

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Squaz.....it's difficult to second guess your brake problem. The ABS should only function if you break heavily or on wet road surfaces. If it does cut in, you will hear a noise from the ABS unit and the braking will certainly feel 'juddery'. If your ABS function has been properly investigated and passed by a main dealer, then it may not be the issue. Salt will certainly affect brake function - coating your discs with surface rust which will sound dreadful when breaking. It may also prevent your brake pistons and sliders from working properly. If the pads aren't contacting the discs properly as a result, it will cause uneven breaking. Again, if these have been properly cleaned as you suggest, corrosion and/or winter crud is unlikely to be the issue.
Warped discs could be the problem. Try applying just the rear brake, then just the front brake to see whether you can isolate the problem to one wheel. If you suspect a disc(s), have a main dealer check them - warped discs will be replaced under warranty.
Also, check out MT-07 forums for brake related problems - they've been around a bit longer than the XSR and if there are issues they will have emerged.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts