XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-
Just a few words about myself..will take possession of my new Garage silver XSR700 in about a month. Presently in Florida waiting for the snow to melt in NY. I sold off my bike collection last year ,which included a black BMWr1100s, my Honda CX500 café,and six others I restored. Owned /raced a 59 MGA coupe on the vintage circuits here in the US for eleven years. I enjoy model ship/aircraft scratch building, mostly WWI,II, Korea and Vietnam era themes. Anyway ,enough of that . I've been riding since 1968 ,had a bunch of bikes over the years. Turning 70 this June so I suggested to my wife a great birthday present. I've read every forum possible and know this the bike for me. My friend owns a Yamaha dealership so I sat on the 900, but too much bike for me at this stage. I was delighted when he called me with the US 700 arrivals. So it's waiting for me patiently in the showroom. We live in the Adirondacks in northern NY in the summer, so lots of places to ride..not so in Fl...too many crazy people. I'm an avid reader of the forums and hope to learn even more. Owned a lot of Japanese bikes over the years, lots of vintage Yamahas, so no worries. Ahh..did I say a few words?
All the best,
John

·
Super Moderator
743 Posts
Welcome to the forum, John. Not bad for a birthday present - certainly beats socks! You'll enjoy the XSR, without a doubt.

Reactions: Antony Ward

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Tigerjohn

Thanks for the kind words..I think most posters might originate from across the pond..I've spent some good times in the West end of London..Lancaster/ Portobello Road, back in the 70's.. recently visited Coventry/Abingdon..Wild place to be then. Hoping there might be some XSR owners in my area. there are a few -o7 and -09 owners though. I can't leave my bikes alone, so I'll be changing a few things e.g.
900 headlight swap, different signals, some sliders, mirrors ,perhaps an exhaust. I'll be lurking /looking for input. As a Brit, you might appreciate that I've had a few British cars.
63 XKE 3.8 triple carb matching # restored
57 MGA roadster..5spd./MGB 1800 which I restored
59 MGA coupe vintage race car
85 XJ-6 Vanden Plas
Of all them,I miss the MGA's the most..sold them all two years ago to get a place in FL!
My friend and I still restore a few ..
All the best,
John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ldest yamaha dealer /dealership in US

Hello all-
Drove three days from FL to NY, unloaded my wife and dog , went straight to the local dealer and
bought my soon to be 70th b'day present.. new
2018 SXR 700 in garage ,silver,grey ? Anyway, she's beautiful and the dealer gave me a brand new helmet to boot!

I'll probably add/change a few bits once my wife calms down. Actually, she was all in and could care less about bikes. he also had the Kenny Roberts (?) yellow 900 there, but way too much for me at my age. I spent the winter reading every forum/blog site I could find and I know I made the right choice getting the 700, the 900 wasn't really in the cards for me. When the USA debut was announced, my dealer bike friend called me up. it was a no brainer from that point on. For the record, were there any recall fixes like cable/wire chafing ,etc addressed in the '18 ? Thanks for listening
All the best,
John
P.S I would like to add that the owner of our small local dealership is 87 years old, been in business since 1965 and still reports to work every day. He said his is the oldest Yamaha dealership running continuously in the US. My friend does most of the daily business matters. In 1965, a local car dealership copped the Honda franchise and was selling Honda 50's like crazy. John wrote to Yamaha,and got a reply in a month. They said he would have to stock $100.00 worth of parts and buy eight bikes. He still has a huge collection of vintage Yamahas, Bridgestones,etc,to name a few. He also has my second bike I ever owned..1971 thereabouts, Yamaha 360 Enduro, in ex shape and he won't sell it to me. I was in his collection room around five years ago and spotted the 360. I said," That looks like the one I had in the 70's." He replied, " I bought it a long time ago from ****" whereupon I said, " I sold it to ***!
About 40 miles from me, a similar story ..Honda dealership, owner in early 80's, a bit cranky, still selling bikes.. he kept one model of every new bike he got in since the 60's. There are literally hundreds warehoused in their original crates, unassembled. I bought my first bike from him ..Honda SL350, and no, he will not part with any of them Anyway ,back to today, John is now blind , recognized my voice and came out to personally thank me for buying a bike. Doesn't get much better than that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
congrats on the purchase, im one of the few in the States currently too in New Hampshire. I picked up my silver one a few weeks ago. been in love with it since day 1. currently waiting on an Akrapovic titanium exhaust to show up and some SW Motech Legend Gear saddle bags. Ill be doing a lot of commuting on it. Enjoy and toss up some pics when you get it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RedsoxXSR

I'm busy building a structure for my bike and tools, since I sold my man cave. Hence, only 31 delightful miles on her. I have good friends in Alstead and Acworth. I'd like an aftermarket exhaust , but sooo pricy and Hurricane Irma dropped by our neighborhood last September. I have to pick my battles with my wife. I believe a tail tidy and a wheel stand is in the mix though. I'd post pics but I'm to stupid.
Ride safe!
All the best,
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts