XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm Mark, and I've joined since I'm conducting research for my first bike purchase later this year. It looks that the best bike for me has been chosen. But I'm still contemplating it.
I also wanted to thank everyone that posts information here for me to read! I've enjoyed reading all of the articles and seeing all of the photos of such a gorgeous bike!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mark. There is a lot of good info and good people here. If you stick around, please consider filling out your profile a bit more, adding your location, (city/state is good), as it all gives context to your posts and helps others give you better answers if you have questions as well as helping others better understand your perspective.

What kind of riding do you think you will be doing? Fun day rides, commuting, multi-day trips or you're just not sure right now?

Have you taken an MSF or similar rider training course yet? It's a great way to learn and reinforce the basics and in the US, it usually allows you to skip part of the licensing tests and gives you a discount on your insurance. Bonus, you use their bikes, so no worries about a minor drop during training. They can be done over a single weekend for the BRC level courses and they offer more advanced training as you progress that are often single day courses at intermediate levels.

You might also consider the option of buying a cheap bike you won't mind scratching up for your first bike. It's not sexy, but it removes the stress of dropping or scratching the bike for a new rider and you learn a lot in the first year or so of riding. A big part of that is what you like/don't like about the bike you have which helps you decide what you want for the next bike. Smaller, lighter bikes make it easier to master slow speed skills, which translate to higher speed skills and confidence for unexpected road situations.

Have fun researching and don't be shy about asking questions if you have them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Eric! I'm going to take a rider training course next month. I'm going to ride on weekends. More interested in mechanics than in riding, honestly.
I'm thinking about Yamaha because this is the most popular bike. Can consider other models.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Great that you're taking the rider training course. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the "mechanics"? Are you more interested in modifying the bike than riding it? So it's a project to foster creativity rather than a tool for you to explore your area on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts