XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I saw one of my favorite bikes sitting looking lonely at my favorite dealer and he said he's give me a decent price for my XSR on trade so I popped for it and traded the XSR700 for a Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe. I have had a bunch of Kawsaki's in the past and decided to try another.
DSC03447.JPG

·
Registered
271 Posts
Flyerdon it's been a blast. You just bought my favorite current bike. I keep saying next gen xsr900 but of any current bike, that's the one.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm guessing 4k you had to commit? Anyway do give us a couple more posts here about performance etc.
A bunch of us have the Z900rs as the next potential bike to get.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was in a Yam Kaw dealership to check XSR b4 buying for ss brake lines routing, and there was on top floor display stand the Z900. Felt like the center of the universe was that Green mean magnet and I was weak knee'd pot-metal under its spell. The GPZ that coined one of the most iconic names in motorcycling history, the Ninja, taken life once more.

For me, that machine's karma is everything motorcycling is

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The XSR is a very good bike and I wouldn't say the Z900RS is any better or worse, just different. I really had no intention of trading but I saw the RS sitting in the showroom and I was eyeballing it last summer when in for parts and I sat on it and left the place. The more I thought of it the more I thought about, maybe, in the future looking into a purchase. The price was right, I was offered a decent deal for my trade so I just plain made up my mind to do it. One thing I will say I have missed on my last four or five bikes was the simple arrangement of a tach in on gauge and a speedo in the other. There is a multi display in between but I just plain like the simplicity of two separate gauges and the RS has that. It also has better suspension with adjustable front and rear forks and shock. To be truthful, simplicity is a mark of motorcycling that was always attractive to me. Over the years complexity seems to have taken over and simple maintenance has become a chore. If you take the tank on the RS, it's pretty simple. It does have a fuel pump and a couple hoses and electric harness but the tank itself is one piece. The XSR has all those panels. The tank looks very good but to get the thing off the bike is way too complex with all those damned screws that have to be removed. I don't think I've ever seen another gas tank that had to be so disassembled to get it of the bike. That's complexity that doesn't have to be. Granted, the RS has four of a lot of parts being a multi vs. a twin, but I've worked on a lot of four cylinder bikes and it still only has one cam chain, one adjuster for the cam and two cam shafts so no big deal. Maybe it's just the "old fart" coming out in me. In one sentence, I just wanted to experience one more new motorcycle. I'll still be around because this is one of the best forums on the internet.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Congratulations!

It is a nice looking bike and the idea of just buying a new bike would be my motivation as well. Even being in the comfortable situation to go for a new ride, I defined some limits.

Definition one, not above 10 kEUR, the Kawa Z 900 RS Cafe is actually offered at 12,5 kEUR incl. VAT. This is about 4000 Euro more compared to a XSR XTribute for example. I would expect a lot of much better features at the Kawa for this difference..
My other definition is not above 200 kg, better not above 180 kg ready to ride. This will be hard, if I am not willing to spend money, I know.
Anyhow, Kawa did fine with the tank. Similar frame design and construction, but shaped a metal bowl to cover all those frame and tubes.

Z900 and Z650 have good to satisfying sales figures here in Germany. So Kawa made some things correctly. Do not know how the RS sells, maybe it is possible to find a good deal at the small dealer behind the hills out there in the country. But the weight. The wheels are looking light weight, very nice. What you explained, the classic dash with the two gauges, nice. Why not something with a little bikini fairing. If you ride all day long, maybe a little more comfortable. Comfortable like the seat looks.

Jepp, @Flyerdon it is your decision and I am sure, you did right, congratulation.

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
87 Posts
Congrats to flyerdon, i had the pleasure to ride this thing a few months ago and it was a blast.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to say, the XSR700 is a very nice motorcycle and I highly doubt anyone would call it lacking in power or fun. If I wasn't going to turn 71 in another few months I might have held off a while longer begore trading but I saw a deal and I really wanted one last multi before I ended up like the vast majority of my riding buddies. I have only a couple left that are my age and one is already on a three wheeler. So far I'm pretty healthy and I try my best to keep fit. But, we never know what tomorrow may bring and I just found out my riding buddy that I've put the most miles on with was diagnosed with glioblastoma in January. His days, unfortunately are numbered and his riding days are over. You could say a new bike if my way of looking to the future.

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
Exciting times, Flyerdon. I agree with your comments on simplicity - complex 'rider aids' put me off a lot of bikes. I just want to ride the thing, not agonise whether I've optimised the electronic suspension settings, ride modes etc etc. That's one of the attractions of the XSR 700. We've greatly enjoyed your musings here and it'll be good to still hear from you from time to time.
Enjoy the new toy as the weather warms up - take it steady!

·
Registered
271 Posts
and the Z900rs does not have rider modes. Just traction control settings and the slipper clutch. The only complaint I have heard was some buzzing that went away after break-in and The reviewer didn't have the cafe and said windblasts aren't the greatest and wish he had a screen. I think Flyerdon got a bike that needs no mods, but curious if he eventually does anyway lol. If the levers aren't fully adjustable I'd swap them out, that's it I swear.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My local Yami and Kawi dealer offered me the same bike. I sent an inquiry many months ago on their floor model leftover from 2018-2019 (just out of curiosity) and they write back saying they'd give me:
$5,715 for clean trade in (bike is def clean)
and that they are " motivated to move the z900 so give me a call." They meant RS Cafe.

But I still owe little more than $3K, would clear $2,500 and then even their "motivated" sale would be what, $9,500, putting me back in almost exactly the same total I had at the start of the XSR loan.

Can't sell until at least my bike is paid off 14 months and even then, may have to wait a year after for my better half's' approval . Can't wait to hear more about this bike in the spring Flyerdon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts