XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XSR700 (YPVS style)
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! I've always wondered how these work, do you need to completely take the wheel off to install?
No wheel removal, it’s a simple threaded bar that slides through the middle of the wheel spindle and a nyloc nut at each end. A 10 minute job with 2 x 10mm sockets (or deep reach spanners at a push). (y)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the RnG bobbins which are great, the only thing is you can't adjust the chain or take the wheel out. So I got these off ebay, alloy made and stronger than they look. You can adjust the chain etc with these, but in a slide I expect they would bend or worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi, but what stand do you use to get the rear wheel out?
Hi,
I have found this method works (for me anyway) for removing the rear wheel.
I use the paddock stand to lift the bike off the floor then use axle stands under the swingarm. The type of bobbin set up I use lifts the bike a little higher than the RG type through the wheel bolt. Also I have taped some rubber to the axle stands to stop them slipping when you lower the bike onto them.
Tire Wheel Bicycle Crankset Automotive tire

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gear Spoke
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Crankset Automotive tire

·
Registered
'22
52 Posts
While we're on the subject of lifting the bike; I'd like to replace the rear shock this winter.
What would you recommend to lift the bike? I won't be able to use any stands on the rear swingarm, because the whole bike would collapse after removing the shock :LOL:
I'm currently leaning towards an A-frame ladder and some straps to lift the rear of the bike. I don't have any hooks or beams on the ceiling to lift the bike.

Would love to hear your advice and/or experience on this.:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi,
I do use the wedge type front wheel stands, if you strapped the front of the bike to the stand and weighed it down you could then jack the bike up from under the engine. These bikes are really finely balanced front to back, if you put the jack to the rear of the engine the weight would then transfer to the front. Block it up and away you go.
I would get a mate to help/watch/laugh hold the bike stable whilst doing it.
I have nothing against A frames if you have it all set up and solid they work a treat but I always prefer to have something solid between the bike and the ground rather than have it hanging ready to drop.
Art Musical instrument accessory Font Symbol Metal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts