XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just picked up my new red 2018 XSR700 yesterday. Traded in my 2017 Moto Guzzi V7 Special, looking for something lighter in my old age. This is my 39th bike since 1965. I wish the Forest Green was available here, that is my favorite, but the red matches my leathers.
First thoughts...clutch action is sudden, but I'll get used to it.
Took off the warning sticker on top of tank, now I have a clear looking patch, wondering if it is just glue, but tried goof off so far, not touching it.
Handles real nice, I like the higher bars and standard riding position. Getting the T-rex racing lowering kit so I can reach the ground, also Puig Vision shield, and a rad guard.
Probably will get those huge headlight brackets shortened up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome to the forum and XSR700 ownership; the clutch is very abrupt until the oil is changed at the first service, then it improves. Not sure about the tank I'm afraid...
Like your plans for the bike!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! That red is such a nice color, I had a hard time deciding between that and the raw aluminum panels, and the green wasn't an option for me either. But I liked the neutral color of the silver...

I'd agree that the clutch action gets a little smoother with time and fresh lube.

Please post pics of the windscreen, I have the Puig RetroVision and liked their other screens too, curious what they look like on the bike.

Cheers!
Aaron

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Welcome Jacson. Forest Green is a discontinued colour - but red is the next best thing! You'll find the performance and handling much better than your V7, even if the XSR is a bit taller and not quite so pretty. The Yamaha clutch is a bit harsh but you will get used to it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Welcome, you'll like the XSR, I'm sure it's a bit more powerful than the Guzzi but the Guzzi sure has the lines of an old classic, what made you want to go to the XSR over the 7?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Getting the sticker residue off, my experience

I removed mine using Goof Off, also. I put a good bit on the cloth and just worked that stuff until it came off. I was worried that the chemical and the pressure I was using might cause some noticeable markings on the tank; however, it worked fine. the goof off will leave a greasy residue, just use plenty of water and a different, fresh cloth to get that off. Good luck.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Be carefull with Goof Off as it contains Acetone and Xylene which can dissolve almost anything if left on for any length of time. I tried to get some paint off a $200 shield and it started to melt it and that was the end of the shield.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Be carefull with Goof Off as it contains Acetone and Xylene which can dissolve almost anything if left on for any length of time. I tried to get some paint off a $200 shield and it started to melt it and that was the end of the shield.
Guess I was lucky then. I made sure to totally clean it; the chemical was probably on it for a total of 10 minutes.

Due to FDon's experience, maybe you should look for a different solution to the problem

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I rubbed for about an hour today with Goo Gone Pro and a microfiber cloth. Nothing happened. I just might get another sticker and put on top of it. I'll try WD40 tomorrow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome!

As for the sticker...I used a hair dryer to get a lot of the glue off...then used WD40 to get the remaining stuff off. Red is a very good looking color...I went with the raw aluminum, but can't go wrong because what really matters how amazing this bike handles! Where are you from? US - Pennsylvania here. Ride safe!

·
Registered
30 Posts
As for the sticker...I used a hair dryer to get a lot of the glue off...then used WD40 to get the remaining stuff off. Red is a very good looking color...I went with the raw aluminum, but can't go wrong because what really matters how amazing this bike handles! Where are you from? US - Pennsylvania here. Ride safe!

That's the proper way! Incidentally I left the bike in the sun for a few hours, and the stickers cam off beautifully by themselves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts