XSR 700 Forums banner

New old guy

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  CurrentR1 
#1 ·
Hi all.

Older biker here :) I have loved my fast sports bikes and mainly R1's and 6's. Some big Kwakers in there too but the R1 fits me and currently on a 04 R1 which I have exactly as I want it both in set up and looks. (not much change from standard as I think it is the best of the lot!) But.....I find myself not wanting to get into race leathers every time I fancy a quick blast round the twisty bits.

I loved two strokes. yeah, I know, but that was the way in the late 70's. My last was a RG500 bought new and sold when I got married to pay for central heating. If only we knew !!!

I want a bike that will give me the thrills of an RD 350 (had one) with modern reliability. I have sat on a XSR 700 and it felt right ! I cannot get a local test ride to save my life as dealers are concentrating on the MT range (fair enough) I want a 700 and to go old school RD on it. That is my dream :)

#3 ·
Hi dude. Great to have you aboard.
The xsr is just the best fun to ride. Not scary like an R1.
Power delivery is smooth and easily controlled but has quite a kick to it when you go for it. Here's a video one of the guys posted.

Asking a question is simple. Just post as you have already done but pop the question in the title. Job done.

There's loads of custom mods on the forum that the guys have posted but you need to have a look through. I particularly like the Pinion sons effort. Bit slick though.

All the best mate, hope you find a demo somewhere.

#4 ·
Had a test ride on the MT07 and it gives a good idea what the XSR is like. For me the seating position is much better and the seat makes the suspension feel much better. Enough power and torque to get banned for speeding, it won't happen just because you sneezed at the wrong time!

#5 ·
Hi

Was a r1 07 owner that had all the 'trick" bits.....but just found myself at stupid speeds on public roads and had then had a son! Decided it was time for a change but needed something that I could still admire in the garage during those cold winter months. Wanted a xsr900 but couldn't warrant the cost, bought a 500 miler xsr700, customised it to my spec, bought a set of riding gear (can't do power ranger stuff on a naked!), and it was still cheaper than a 900.

I've had a tl1000 and a rsv1000 so the twin sound was a welcome home. Yup, it ain't ever gonna give you the top end rush of a litre super bike, but this 700 is a dream on a normal road. Bang a decent exhaust on it, pair of jeans and enjoy riding for fun, not speed!

You'll defo want to sort the shock and forks after the r1, but I'm loving this bike! Up the preload to start with and go from there is my advice.

Since getting the 700 I've been enjoying just riding the thing rather than racing it......even went for an open face lid......

Reactions: Monaz
#6 ·
Exactly what I wanted to hear !

Thanks Buddy, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I tried the 900 as The RD paint scheme I want looks good on it but the bike wasn't what I wanted.

If I can sort the tail unit out I believe with super sticky tyres it will be what I need.

#9 ·
2nd on the Evotech tidy - nice bit of kit and easy to fit. Sorts the back end out nicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.