XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum and I'm in the market for a new XSR700 (red/white). I'm from the Netherlands and I've called some dealerships and they all had different stories about the new '21 model of this beautiful bike. One dealer says there is no 2021 model planned for this year, another one says there is one which is modified for the EURO5 regulations and yet another one is saying there is a 2021 model but it is exactly the same.

Now I do have a picture of the new 2021 model where you can see a different exhaust manifold for EURO5 and bigger brakediscs. So it seems there is a new kid in town, but there are no pictures on the internet or at Yamaha of this new model (see picture of the dealership below).

And all dealerships say there is no supply of the 2020 or 2021 model, nor will there come any new bikes this year. Have you guys maybe heard this as well?

I'm very curious about your reactions.

Jasper

·
Registered
609 Posts
From what I heard in the past, the "21" model was going to be slightly different with an exhaust that had a different CAT or maybe an additional one. But on Yamaha's site it sure looks exactly like a 2020 model. Maybe they have a couple slightly different models for different markets.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Great, looks like new Euro 5 model with all the nice benfits like MT-07 has.

Okay, the kat high up is no real benefit, but the Road5, the bigger brake discs, very very good, a real improvement.

What is not to see, the rear shock update, like it was already done at MT two years ago.

So this is 2021 Euro 5 model. In DE elder 2020 Euro 4 left overs can still be sold and plated with extended permission. Do not know the regulations for NL.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wonder if Yamaha had to tweak the fueling/timing with this new dual cat setup?
If so maybe this models wont be very happy with any aftermarket exhausts without remapping.

Would also be interesting to see how aftermarket exhaust makers could solve the task to make an nice looking euro5 pipe.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You can search for the new Tracer 7 or 700, do not know the current model spelling. On the Yamaha pages for example you will find the Akra Euro 5 exhaust.

It is built like it is demanded, the cat high up close to the cylinder head. As far as I know, it will be one cat only. The changed position to temper the cat as fast as possible to reduce the toxic exhaust gases.
Brings me to the permanently repeated 'urban legend' that an injection + cat engine runs lean. No it runs always correct that the cat can do its job to fulfil the approval testings.

Test rides with Tracer or new MT-07 reported, that nominal the top power was cutted down for one or two HPs, but in riding, you do not even feel it. The CP2 is still a fountain of not ending fun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kind of expected the Euro 5 adaptions, but really curious about the bigger brake discs, wonder if there might be more changes 🤔

·
Registered
411 Posts
The stock exhaust? This is much more than just enough. Generally there is no need to swap the exhaust. I everytime suggest to change other things first, before thinking about the exhaust.
And to be honest, it is not really quiet. The Euro 4 even got louder with the kilometers on the cock.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Good news ! Mine has 1300km and I feel like I'm riding a stealth motorcycle :D
The best what can happen to you. You have more room to concentrate on riding on feeling in which condition your bike is, vibration, too low revs or in the good middle and riding the torque wave, etc.
Motorbike riding is what you are doing for you. There is no need to noise around to tell everybody, that you are riding for the moment.
Anyhow there are good reasons to wear noise protection for your ears. This makes it double uninteresting to tune up the exhaust noise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are two points for me that made me swap out the oem exhaust.
1: If you have big feet the heel will touch the tip wich is annoying.
2: Could not hear the engine to get feeling of gear choice, needed to look at the dash when wanting to keep eyes on the corners.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Last week I saw an Euro 5 in the flesh. As already estimated by @jaspervt1982 above, it is the Euro 5 exhaust, the brake discs and the Michelin tires only.

I see no hint for an upgraded suspension.

·
Registered
XSR700 xTribute '20
52 Posts
It's great isn't it... My teacher bike was a xsr700... I was sold immediately

1 - 16 of 16 Posts