XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm brand new here and looking forward to learning as much as i can from everyone. Picking up my xsr tomorrow and cant wait. Its a 2020 and already has some mods, notably the akrapovic exhaust which im sure the neighbours will love at 6am.
I would like to add some gators but i have no mechanical experience so does anybody know if this would cost a pretty penny for them to fit for me at the shop or should i just give it a go? Im not completely useless on the tools but as i understand it i would need to lift the front end to remove the forks and im struggling to see how i could safely/comfortably do so without the right equipment.
Thanks in advance for all the advice and look forward to see everyones responses 馃憤馃徎
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Registered
Welcome :)

I just did the gaiter and folk black-out mod myself. I used a rear-wheel paddock-stand to stabilize the bike and then cargo straps secured from the rafters to lift and hold the front-end while working. While suspended in the air, I had jack stands in two locations under the frame, just in case anything shifted around while the front-end was removed.

It all went quite smoothly. I do recommend a torque wrench to ensure you torque the trees to the stanchions properly. Not sure what a shop would charge you, but I can't imagine they need more than an hour shop-time to do the job proper.

There are some great tips on this very forum on removing the two plastic fork guards prior to installing the gaiters. I used the hair-dryer method and it went smashingly! Not that I would ever re-install them, but they came off so nicely, that they could be.

Good looking bike, by the way!

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum. As flyer64 says, it's not difficult to drop the forks, install gaitors and refit...but if you don't want to jack up the bike and stabilise it with straps, an hour's labour in a bike workshop might be a good investment!

Registered
Hi and Welcome to the forums @CWills22 !

Regarding the gators, everything is said. Except the option to wait and combine the next tyre change with the gators?

BR
hombacher, enjoy you ride!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all 馃憤馃徎 My garage doesnt have exposed rafters unfortunately :( but ive contacted the shop for a quote and its not over the top costly. Im thinking of other little upgrades i can request to make it even more worth while 馃槀. Im guessing the upper fork protectors wont accompany the gaitors by default and they鈥檙e extra? I saw somebody in Oz had taken it upon themselves to manufacture theyre own to keep cost down and they look great. Apparently the upper fork protectors are hard to get hold of?

Yes Hombacher i agree, would love some new tyres on there but as they serviced before i collected they also fit a new tyre on the back so would feel like a waste to swap that out straight away now. For future reference though, what tyres would you recommend?

I have taken the yellow tinted cover off the headlight as its not my thing but will upload more pics when i get a chance. Cant wait for the good weather to return now.

Cheers guys 馃憤馃徎

Registered
Upper fork protectors, there is a source in the WWW where you will find the OEM parts for some few bucks. You will find it here in the forums completely with all needed parts such as o-rings and the OEM parts numbers.
There are also some DIY threads which people wrote after a visit in a DIY warehouse. Just watch out for black plastic pipes.

In the forums you will find a tyres sections, just visit and evaluate what is your expectation and driving profile. Think this will be a good basis to have a 'tyre discussion'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts