XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not directly worked on my XSR, but today i drew new, shorter brackets for my headlight. I will post pictures of them if they are mounted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not directly worked on my XSR, but today i drew new, shorter brackets for my headlight. I will post pictures of them if they are mounted.

Are you gonna use this with the OEM headlight?
What material are you gonna use?

If you are willing to make and sell two I'm interested.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't make these by myself, i don't have the tools for that. A friend of mine makes them. He used stainless steel (not optimal, but i said he should use whatever he has as leftovers) and i painted them in satin black.

I will use them on the Purpose Built Moto headlight, they will not fit the stock headlight since they are shorter than the stock ones.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't make these by myself, i don't have the tools for that. A friend of mine makes them. He used stainless steel (not optimal, but i said he should use whatever he has as leftovers) and i painted them in satin black.

I will use them on the Purpose Built Moto headlight, they will not fit the stock headlight since they are shorter than the stock ones.
Hi Prime07,

Would your friend be willing to make another set and what sort of price would he charge? I would be interested in a set for my 7” headlight.

Many thanks

Mark

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your bike appears much lighter with the new headlight. But somehow I like that big bucket, maybe an LED-insert will do it for me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
That's what I'm working on. I need to prototype it to see if the location needs to change to avoid cutting the headlight bucket as some have done. I drew up two designs last night, one moving straight back about 1-1/2" (about 38mm), the rough difference based on the shell measurements of the 900 bucket I have. The second one has the same move back, but raised 5mm should it need to clear the one part of the headlight frame underneath it. I just remember someone talking about it before.

I'm figuring on 3/8" aluminum, but not quite sure how to deal with the turn signals. May have a spot on the inside to mark/center drilling for signal mounts. Once I know what is needed I plan to see what it would cost to have them cut for me. Maybe make up ten sets if the pricing for ten is reasonable per set.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's impressive, clean look. Me, I like the oem snout when it's paired with the micro cowl flyscreen. But without the cowl I am sure I would have wanted to do exactly what you did eventually. Not sure how I would have gotten brackets done, but without doing the brackets the 900 headlight, though less deep, would have technically stuck out just as much, so those brackets you created are necessary, and I am just saying that out loud for those just considering this.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I actually have given those dimensions for that bracket set in another thread on cutting and fitting the 900 shell for anyone who may want to do the same. Here is the link to the thread click here

That may also give some starting dimensions for some others to create a shorter set for one of the shallower LED headlights. Get some hardboard to experiment with quick and easy. You make the layout and test it, figure if you need to pull it back in, up, down or forward, make another set. Find a size that works for your headlight, then make them from aluminum or acrylic. Drill the hole positions using a 1/8" drill then use a 15/32" pilot point drill

to drill and get the counterbore with a flat bottom, then finish with a 17/64" drill thru the hole to fit a 6mm fastener. Should work great on aluminum. I struggled with chatter that chipped out the counterbore on a couple of the test acrylic brackets.

I love doing this stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts