XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's a bit more competition for the revised XSR 700 - the new BSA 650 Gold Star!
It joins the Kawasaki Z650RS and RE Interceptor 650 ...the retro market is getting a bit crowded. Like the RE, it won't compete on power, but the aesthetics certainly look the retro part. A big single should provide an interesting riding alternative to the parallel twin set up.
Pity about the old Phantoms, though!
Anyone tempted?
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Plant

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Black

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not tempted, :)

Looks nice with that giant thumper, better options imo for retro. And there is no neo in this, only retro. Market must be riders that want an absolute blast from the past and have the extra coin to lay down on it? I guess there is a market for it. They do have ABS whereas any used Bonneville didn't, until the Street Twin in 2016.

Would rather have a Guzzi any day. In 2015 the V7 II got ABS and Traction Control, keeping the retro charm intact. I like the Enfield better too. Did you see Enfield is going to mash up the 650 to become a little more neo?
Same air/oil cooled engine as their current 650 though.

Can get the V7 2015 for way less $ than the Gold Star, practically new (2,000 miles). Can get the Street Twin 2016-2017 for less $ too. I beat the drum to buy lightly used way better bikes when I see bikes like this being rolled out.

But I guess I like some neo with my retro, and that's why I'm here :-D
Also there must be a better following on your side of the pond for the BSA 650 Gold Star, brand awareness and cult following.

I wonder how much buzzing the bars and pegs get at speed. That may be additional charm you are paying for.

·
Registered
623 Posts
It can't be any worse than the SR500/400. I'm kind of surprised they didn't put on a set of Dunlop K70s. It would be interesting to see one beside my friend's concours level Gold Star to see just how similar they seem. First thing that sucks is they don't have the sweeping Gold Star exhaust head pipe. That was a thing of beauty.

It would be an interesting ride to have in addition to a bike like the XSR or other modern street bike. I really enjoy riding the SR500s I've had/have. But I'd rather have a decent 2/3/4 cylinder street bike for some serious riding. The reason I have an SR, a KLX, and an XSR. Each has what I like and expect of it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If I worked 10 minutes from home and no highway I'd prefer an SR400 for the commute. If I was a college student at a big school living off campus I'd want the SR400 too. My job and tasks are far enough away if I'm going to get a chance to ride to it, I want the modern bike. Coming from someone that has gotten everything out of an old TU250 on the highway and everywhere paved, and knowing it's limitations and strengths, I have certainly invisioned when a simple UJM is the better fit then the modern naked/UJM. There is definitely a place for it. Unfortunately not my place right now. I can see having an old UJM, modern naked, and a tourer when I retire. 20 years from now, who knows.

·
Super Moderator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Uh... the Beezer's a UBM... 😄
UBM?.....Well, possibly..... British designed but, for now, built in India - and owned by Mahindra. A UBIM* perhaps?

It looks like they're trying to follow the Triumph 'modern classics' which have undoubtedly stood the test of time. And if RE's Interceptor is anything to go by, they're on to a winner. Certainly a big single was a brave move - it would be interesting to try it out. It's not a bike for me though....styling is a bit too retro for my taste. And I suspect it'll be a fairly heavy beast.

* on second thoughts, UBIM sounds a bit imperialistic. Perhaps, UIBM is a better reflection of the present realities!

Reactions: dan1

·
Registered
580 Posts
The BSA is nice looking. That's it, story told.

Not sure if I want to go for one. The charming part of the Yamaha SR story is, that they took the British bikes from the 60-70s and build a better and more reliable version of it. The rest is a success story of several decades, in which one after the other British brand vanished.
Actually it looks like that the Indian owners of the the brands looked in the archives and asked the local blacksmith: Can we build some? Yep, an Interceptor or Gold Star look really classic, because they are already old, even if they are built in 2021 or 2022. I have no idea how much you can trust such a bike? How reliable will it be? Will it work as a daily commuter? Or will it fire up as a third or fourth vehicle when it is fired up two or three times a year? Will it still mark it's territory, like the Brits did?

An other bike I want to bring to discussion is the MASH Six Hundred Classic:

With a French company manufacturing in China for sure not the best alternative compared to those Indian owned brands. But with the Chinese copies of technology such as for the old Honda thumper, the brakes and others, I would tend, this is a nice follow-up of the SR 500, which never made it to a real updated version. Even the weight around 180 kg is tolerated at approx. 40 hp. Which is more or less a good figure to ride to everywhere and do not feel too anaemic.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Kind of going off topic of the new bike introduction.

Seems the Indian production suites BMW, Triumph, KTM, Royal Enfield, and even Harley for a while. They can do the job and have good reliability, after all the biggest market is domestic and I doubt the home market will tolerate too much crap.

As for China, at this point I think most issues are the country's politics and human relations, not so much quality when a company dictates good quality. Any country can build best or worst, it's a corporate/administrative designated issue. There are a number of threads in the ADVrider forum about a number of Chinese bikes, seems the worst thing is lack of an network of dealers, but the importers seem to be doing very well with parts and warranty.

The Chinese built bikes that go under brand names appear to be doing great. Personally I'm less impressed with buying from China for the political and economic reasons.

By the way if the only Mash bike you noticed was their retro model you sure missed a good one with their street tracker.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

I think it's a pretty cool looking ride and I'd certainly be looking at one if it was in the U.S.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The old saying, "variety is the spice of life". Singles have their own kind of appeal but without counter balancing they can be a real handful at speed. I had a Royal Enfield C5 and it was fun for around town but any long distance riding became tiring real quick.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sure, even if single means low weight, high torque and budget built, it should have some performance which makes riding comfortable. And one point is low vibration at the typical riding speeds.

That C5 with about 500 ccm, 27 hp and a bike weight of approx. 190 kg you can not define as a hot spot of permanent improvement. It is nice to look at and as said above, it looks old, because it is old. But even said so, I would as well not want to accept, that tiring vibrations shorten my riding.
It is not low total horsepower which is generated, even my wife's KTM Freeride 350 may have a comparable hp figure. And it is a real fun to ride around beside any actual hp figure, because it is just possible and makes riding so simple.

So I may resume, for me always rideability beats looks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts