XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gentlemen :cool:

I think my OEM battery life is coming to end and I am kind of preparing myself on purchasing a new one.

Has anyone of you did that already and what do you recommend? Lithium, gel, standard, micro fleece battery is there anything else that I am missing ? o_O

I've looked into lithium batteries and leaning towards those just because it seems like their life expectancy is 3x longer than a normal one, its weight etc

As I am in Europe, Germany I would appreciate that you take that into consideration as some of the batteries that you might have installed , for example - USA is not available here :confused:

I look forward to your insights and comments

Cheers and stay safe! :coffee::geek::giggle:

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
111 Posts
I had a Shorai in my last bike.
I was very impressed with the weight savings, and it never failed to start my bike.
Whenever the OEM battery gets tired in my XSR700, I will go Shorai again.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've always stayed with the trusty Yuasa batteries but the new lithium batteries have a couple benefits, less weight and generally more power. My battery was starting to show signs of getting tired last fall and I'll probably be looking as well, just haven't decided which way I want to go. I'd like to hear more from riders who have gone to lithium or something other than the conventional AGM style.

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
Personally, I'd stick with a good quality, maintenance free gel, lead acid replacement. Lithium may save some weight and give a bit more power - unless you're running heated vests + gloves etc you won't need it - but you will need a lithium-compatible charger for winter top ups, adding more cost to an already expensive battery. Regular chargers will cook a lithium battery....the bike's own charging system was designed for lead acid batteries - are we sure it'll be OK for lithium?

Reactions: wex700

·
Registered
154 Posts
I went with the Yuasa as well - if you shop online you can get it nearly half the price as some retailers. And delivered!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Believe it or not, I have used a 3 cell model airplane battery to start my bike when I had the regular batter out for maintenance. A 3 cell would be 11.1 v and a 4 cell would be 14.8 v (each cell =3.7 v) and the 11.1 v starts the bike just fine but I'm hesitant to try the 14.8 4 cell because I didn't want to stress the electrical system. As you've probably heard, lithium batteries can catch fire if they are charged or discharged too fast or if their cases get penetrated and once they do catch fire it's all over. One of our pilots lost his house because he was charging some plane batteries in his basement, something went haywire and by the time he knew there was a fire, it was too late, lost the house. Any way, if you are considering a lithium, understand what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My Yuasa lasted three years - bought a replacement of The Bay for £70 delivered (in the UK). All I did was give it a full charge before fitting it. Over winter I have an optimate trickle 'thingy' plugged in all the time.

Reactions: DeYo

·
Registered
96 Posts
My Yuasa lasted three years - bought a replacement of The Bay for £70 delivered (in the UK). All I did was give it a full charge before fitting it. Over winter I have an optimate trickle 'thingy' plugged in all the time.
Thanks for sharing. I was wondering since I have no previous experience with motorcycles.
Mine is 3 years this March. It doesn't show any signs yet. I'm also using a trickle charger over winter. Let's see if I'm lucky and can get another season out of it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for sharing. I was wondering since I have no previous experience with motorcycles.
Mine is 3 years this March. It doesn't show any signs yet. I'm also using a trickle charger over winter. Let's see if I'm lucky and can get another season out of it.
In may mine will be 3 as well :LOL: but I am not trickle charging at all I usually drive all year around and when not i just unplug the battery

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
How long does the Yuasa stock battery usually lasts?
How long is a piece of string?

Depends on how often it's used and whether it's kept well charged over winter. A battery used frequently and topped up over winter should easily last 3 -5 years, more if you're lucky. My '16 plate XSR is still on its original battery, which works fine. I've had other Yuasas go sooner, without apparent reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i Don’t have an experience with these but it will be my next battery
Antigravity ATZ10 RE-START
I would do some research. Li ion batteries generally operate in a narrow temperature range.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My std battery is on a conditioned and has been in the bike since new (2015). Lead acid ones cost peanuts and last ages if you look after them. Also, these are roadsters for blatting about B roads, not race spec R1s so weight saving is not exactly a priority.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I always replace with a Motobatt AGM when it comes time, just about to chop the OEM fitted to 2018 bike for one. Anything weird happen to immobiliser or clocks etc when battery disconnected?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts