XSR 700 Forums banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

· Registered
2017 XSR700
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
And the rear sets are fitted, and the supplied spacers and shift rod meant i could convert to GP shift without cutting or modifying anything, the rod now goes over the top of the cover, only misses by mm. The rear brake now feels a lot more progressive and controlled, with MUCH more feedback. need to adjust the foot pegs and levers a bit more too, its good, but not perfect, the shift lever needs to be further down into the balls of my foot etc. but the difference is once again VERY noticeable. Ill be at the workshop tomorrow AM so ill snap a couple of pics.

All thats left now is to make a few more adjust meats to the foot controls, and the quickshifter and its good to go, got a mate taking some better pics etc in the coming week once it cools down. currently 41 degrees c/105 f outside and the sun has some bite hahaha

· Registered
'22
79 Posts
Interesting how the rearset changes the brake feel! Curious to see your new setup (y)

I think the OEM brake pedal has a bit too much stroke and then at the end of the stroke the brake suddenly comes in quite strong. It's perfectly rideable the way it is but there's certainly room for improvement :)

Have you considered this upgrade? I'm on the fence about it as it's quite a bit of money for what it is, but I do think the bike would benefit from it. Seeing how you are upgrading everything on your bike I thought you might like it.;)
Racetorx gear shift support

· Registered
2017 XSR700
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Interesting how the rearset changes the brake feel! Curious to see your new setup (y)

I think the OEM brake pedal has a bit too much stroke and then at the end of the stroke the brake suddenly comes in quite strong. It's perfectly rideable the way it is but there's certainly room for improvement :)

Have you considered this upgrade? I'm on the fence about it as it's quite a bit of money for what it is, but I do think the bike would benefit from it. Seeing how you are upgrading everything on your bike I thought you might like it.;)
Racetorx gear shift support
I couldnt have put it better myself. New rearset setup has a lot more "feel" and is a lot more direct, the moment you touch the lever it starts pushing in on the master. theres no more play or movement in the linkages etc. I think the word im looking for is "Linear" the more you press the pedal the more the rod is pushed.

i wasnt aware they made them for XSR/MT/FZ's, nor was i aware it was an issue for them. Ironically i have a gearbox support for the daytona, as its a known issue with them, and gets amplified when you switch to GP shift. May look into it, neutral seems a bit more challenging to find now for some reason. Maybe because there is no more freeplay in the pedals and requires a bit more precision.

have to say, GP shift and quickshifter probably isn't at all necessary, but jesus its fun haha. bike seems a bit quicker too as theres no lifting of the throttle. played around a bit more with sensitivity and kill times etc today, getting closer every time i ride it.

i managed to upload a vid on one of the XSR pages on FB - Ben | Facebook so hopefully it works here.

· Registered
2017 XSR700
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I can see the video. Now I understand your signature :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, it's a little bit rowdy. God bless the engineer at akrapovic who came up with that titanium exhaust.

I know its not the "usual" way people go with the XSR, but its almost exactly how i saw it in my head when i bought it. I didnt want a shrinking violet :D

· Registered
669 Posts
These Racetorx people are penetrating all known bike 'influencer'. Do not count anymore how many CP2 sources are already linking to that part.

In my opinion, CP2 is available since 2014, meanwhile the number of bikes in use and operation should be that high, if there is a problen, we will have heard about it. So an other 'solution' for a not existing problem.
Upgrading the shifting can be a more rigid shift lever. In combination with industrial standard ball joints, it will be noticable an improvement.
All users of aftermarket rear sets will report that effect. But if you like it more budget, as written, you can go for a lever and ball joints or rod ends with ball bearing.

· Registered
2017 XSR700
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
These Racetorx people are penetrating all known bike 'influencer'. Do not count anymore how many CP2 sources are already linking to that part.

In my opinion, CP2 is available since 2014, meanwhile the number of bikes in use and operation should be that high, if there is a problen, we will have heard about it. So an other 'solution' for a not existing problem.
Upgrading the shifting can be a more rigid shift lever. In combination with industrial standard ball joints, it will be noticable an improvement.
All users of aftermarket rear sets will report that effect. But if you like it more budget, as written, you can go for a lever and ball joints or rod ends with ball bearing.
That was pretty much my answer, I havent heard of it being an issue on the XSR/MT/FZ, whereas its a well known issue on the D675 and can actually crack gearbox housings, hence buying rearsets that are GP Shift AND come with the support bracket, and also a billet shift lever.

it is a marked improvement, the entire linkage system for both brake and clutch has been changed to rod end/heim joint's, there's simply no play in it whatsoever.

Ima big fan. Im doing the GP conversion on the D675 tomorrow AM once i finish painting the fairings etc.

· Registered
2017 XSR700
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
been a huge couple of days, i reckon i put in 40+ hours on late wednesday, thursday, friday and yesterday until about lunchtime.

and.... i rode the D675 for the first time. Everything is completed and done, simply needs the new rubber fitted which ill get done sometime this week (I dont have the equipment to do so) I ended up tearing it right down to simply a frame/swingarm, suspension, wheels/tyres and engine/gearbox. Everything else came off and had to be redone, including the entire wiring loom etc. and then built it all back up and fired her off first thing yesterday AM. Surprisingly i ended up putting a large amount of parts into this thing, considering it was almost 100% stock when i got it.

new air filter and plugs, castrol racing1 10w40 oil/filter, full radiator flush and distilled water in the cooling system, full brake dry fill and flush with motul rbf600.
CRC Race fairings with tinted screen and full seat - sprayed gloss black/white frame
GB Engine Covers, Sharkfin, Fork protectors and paddock bobbins
Factory shorty levers, Healtech gear indicator, EaziGrip Pro grips
Woodcraft keyed ignition delete/Monkeybones quick release fuel cap/1050 throttle tube
UKRS SAI delete kit, UKRS heat exchanger, UKRS Manual race CCT
Stock header with Delkevic exhaust - o2 Delete and EXUP Disabled
TOR 20420 tune using TuneECU and cable
Woodcraft Rearsets setup for GP Shift, Healtech iQSE quickshifter
RK 525 Gold Chain and 15T front sprocket
Pirelli Supercorsa SP V3's, 120/70 and 180/55
OEM Suspension, UKRS Adj. Linear Link, factory preload adjusters
Braided Lines, Brembo Rotors, SBS DC Carbon brake pads

And, the XSR is pretty much complete, been mucking around with the quickshifter more and more and i reckon its 99% There, went for a wide with some friends yesterday arvo and had a blast.

GP shift caught me out once, but it didnt throw me off haha.

D675 just needs the suspension setup done and ill head to the track start of February to shake it down.

pic dump....

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

61 - 68 of 68 Posts