XSR 700 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XSR700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So fitted the fender and made some brackets to fit the cowl this morning.

I made a last minute decision to move it back an inch to match the curve in the seat pad and I'm glad I did, normal riding position my ass is against the cowl and I still have to sit forward a tad, but now I'm looking at new bars or rotating mine down a tad to make up for it,
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

needs some work on overall positioning etc. But yeah, I'm stoked on it.

Suspension next, probabky YSS shock with spribg change for my weight and 1" drop link, and YSS fork kit and lowered front to match.

and am still debating a colour change to nardo grey, maybe some vintage style race numbers on the cowl etc. Think I need to black out the forks with some gaiters too maybe?

What other suggestions do you guys have?

·
Registered
431 Posts
That 900 cowl looks awesome. Your bike looks great. The only thing I'm not totally into is that front fender. Maybe it looks better in person?

Didn't see your next post. You did the fender too. Really nice build.

·
Registered
2017 XSR700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That 900 cowl looks awesome. Your bike looks great. The only thing I'm not totally into is that front fender. Maybe it looks better in person?

Didn't see your next post. You did the fender too. Really nice build.
Thanks mate, appreciated!

Yeah, knew the fender needed to be done, but wanted to wait to see which cowl I ended up using. Smaller fender has just made the thinner front whitewall even more obvious, so I'm getting a thicker one done next weekend to match the rear.

I dig the 900 cowl, it was a bit of a gamble as I've only ever seen one picture of it done and it didn't look that great but it was cheap enough to give it a shot. But it's not 100% perfect, so I think I might change the garage metal colour anyway and paint it and fix the imperfections etc.

The forks totally need to be blacked out I've decided, I might do gaiters at the same time I do the front cartridges.

I'm going to play around with the controls/positioning and go for a ride this morning, but I think some more aggressive bars need to do done, there's still something not quite 100% with the positioning and the overall 'flow' of the bike front to rear.

I know visuals aren't everything and function>form, but it's still gotta look badass right? 😆😆

·
Registered
2017 XSR700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I rode the hell out of it on the weekend, and last night i went and rotated the bars forward maybe an inch, and adjusted the angles of the levers, just spent some time really getting comfortable.

I Then dropped the front 1" through the forks (Bit much i know, got a bit excited😂) increased rear damper from 4 to 6, dropped tyre pressures 2 psi cold, and difference was amazing.

SO much easier to ride, i can throw it around much easier as if the bike is 30kg lighter (As i said in my first post all my riding experience has been on a 2018 KTM RC390, which is about 35-40kg lighter than the XSR) crossovers/weight transfers are so much quicker, the whole dynamics of the bike changed. Turn-in/direction changes are all so much faster/controlled

I know its shortened the rake and trail and some said it might feel a bit nervous at higher speeds but TBH i dont ride open highways etc, most of my riding is tight hills about 20-30 minutes away from my house, most of which under 100kmh at most. Which i have to travel at 60km/h to get to in the first place.

I tied some cable ties around the forks and its close to bottoming out (5mm-10mm), but i rode a set of roads i use almost weekly and seemed ok. Didnt seem to have any clearance issues etc but maybe im just not leaning enough haha

Next step is absolutely the suspension, is gettibg booked at hoey racing to get sag/heights etc measured, and and then will work out what rear shock and fork setup will go in. as mentioned previously itll probably be an adj. rear shock, and a spring/adjuster kit for the forks with thicker oil but we'll see what they say.

I know it doesnt count for much but it looks so much better with the front end dropped, but am now debating putting a lowering link in the back as theoretically it'll put the geometry back to stock?

All of my experience has been of the 4 wheels variety, drag, drift and door to door circuit racing, so im learning as i go. Ill raise the forks back to stock until i can get it to Hoey, and get it really setup and dialled in, and it'll just be my riding ability that'll let the team down 😂😂😂

·
Registered
2017 XSR700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Im also looking at handlebars still, the protaper's rotated forward ARE better, but i still wouldnt mind them a little lower (Towards the ground) the mini-low's i have are almost identical to the carmichael bend (Within a couple of mm) so will still probably be hurricane swallows, im pretty certain i dont want to go as drastic as cafe's,

im wondering what the woodcraft MT07 kit would be like. I have to change to MT07 bar clamps though dont i?

·
Registered
'22
52 Posts
as mentioned previously itll probably be an adj. rear shock, and a spring/adjuster kit for the forks with thicker oil but we'll see what they say.
I'd love to hear their opinion on a pair of cartridge emulators. I've had a brilliant experience with them on my DL650, with the "Ricor intiminators".

I feel like there's a couple of levels in suspension upgrading, in order of cost:
$ Tuning the stock forks per Dave Moss' instructions for example
$$ Adding progressive springs and/or preload adjusters
$$$ Adding cartridge emulators, combined with the previous step.
$$$$ Going all out on a full cartridge kit.

Based on that, I ordered a pair of YSS "PD Valves" (cartridge emulators) as I feel they offer the best upgrade for what they cost. But I'm curious what your suspension guy thinks of them.
They should be here in a couple of days and I'll share my experience on this forum. (y)

·
Registered
2017 XSR700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I'd love to hear their opinion on a pair of cartridge emulators. I've had a brilliant experience with them on my DL650, with the "Ricor intiminators".

I feel like there's a couple of levels in suspension upgrading, in order of cost:
$ Tuning the stock forks per Dave Moss' instructions for example
$$ Adding progressive springs and/or preload adjusters
$$$ Adding cartridge emulators, combined with the previous step.
$$$$ Going all out on a full cartridge kit.

Based on that, I ordered a pair of YSS "PD Valves" (cartridge emulators) as I feel they offer the best upgrade for what they cost. But I'm curious what your suspension guy thinks of them.
They should be here in a couple of days and I'll share my experience on this forum. (y)
Hoey are a YSS/Ohlins/Wilbers/KTech/Nitron/Gazi/Andreani supplier, with YEARS of experience, they even have their own ASBK team so im sure they'll have a valid recommendation for what im after.

YSS Seem to offer great bang for buck, Im thinking the YSS Fork upgrade kit

will be the path i travel considering my experience (on a bike) and what i do with it,

and their rear mono shock with correct spring for my weight

And have all the heights/sags etc all setup for me but ill wait to see what their suggestions are. Seems like a good place to start anyway.

Im interested to hear your take on it.

·
Registered
2017 XSR700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Went to Hoey on the way home from work to book it in, and Ironically the YSS full fork kit with springs, preload ajusters and PDvalves and rear monoshock is exactly what they recommended hahaha.

They have a huge back log of work so won't be in there until second week of November, but ordered the suspension parts while I was there, grand total of $1170 aud for front and rear, including uprated spring for my weight

Will also order extreme creations adjustable rear link (-35mm/-25mm/stock/+25mm) for the back with new bearings.

Then will go to hoey and have everything installed/forks rebuilt etc, and I'll go in and they'll do a full setup for my height/weight etc. Fun times! Can't wait to have it all done.

·
Registered
'22
52 Posts
Pretty cool that they suggested the exact setup you had in mind!

For the rear shock I wanted it to have external preload adjustment as I find it really useful when riding with luggage or a pillion. So I took a bit of a gamble and ordered this one. For some reason they advertise it as a MT-07 shock: https://yssaustralia.com.au/road-motorcycle/34279-689011-mx456w-hi-lo-with-hpa.html#/
I figured the MT-07 has identical suspension, so it should fit right? The only thing that might not fit is the supplied mount for the external adjusters. I'll make a custom bracket if needed.
Both the fork kit and the shock should show up by the end of this week so I'll post my experience with them.

·
Registered
2017 XSR700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Pretty cool that they suggested the exact setup you had in mind!

For the rear shock I wanted it to have external preload adjustment as I find it really useful when riding with luggage or a pillion. So I took a bit of a gamble and ordered this one. For some reason they advertise it as a MT-07 shock: https://yssaustralia.com.au/road-motorcycle/34279-689011-mx456w-hi-lo-with-hpa.html#/
I figured the MT-07 has identical suspension, so it should fit right? The only thing that might not fit is the supplied mount for the external adjusters. I'll make a custom bracket if needed.
Both the fork kit and the shock should show up by the end of this week so I'll post my experience with them.
Yeah, but value for money I'm not really surprised haha

I'm not allowed to have a pillion for the next 2 years under licensing conditions, nor do I carry luggage so this should suffice. One would think that shock bracket would fit as it is the same frame?

Please let me know what you think, I'm super excited, even just those little changes I made the other night changed the whole bike, so keen to see what a full suspension set and proper setup should do.

I've had fleeting thoughts about doing some ride days out at the local track as well, but I also bought a bike to get out of racing, and just have fun with. But $200 for a full day at full throttle seems pretty cheap.

I've got a bit of work to do before it goes in, want to colour change the garage metal to a battleship grey and add some vintage race numbers to the cowl,

black out the forks (but might wait until the front end is rebuilt, and will get them to install fork gaiters while the forks are out)

Need to black out the exhaust as well

Am going to bite the bullet and order a set of Hurricane bars today too, I think the front positioning will be a bit more favourable. .

Might give it a full service too while it's apart.

My wife thought bikes were going to be cheaper 😆😆😆

·
Registered
2017 XSR700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
So ended up heading out to a track day today on the little XSR, bought a knife to a gunfight going up against some litre bikes. the 200+hp R1's left me standing still on the straights.

But I didn't bin it, and didn't die. Pretty successful day :D

Felt a Little out of my depth rolling in, was in a shed with a couple of mates in the "race" group (r1 and a cbr1000 - slicks, tyre warmers, tyre changer, 2-3 sets of tyres, the whole 9 yards and I roll up on street tyres, no paddock stands etc ;)) but they were great and gave me a lot of pointers etc, got a lot faster by the end of the day and had some good battles with some cbr600's and ducati's etc, chasing down some of the bigger capacity bikes in the corners by the end of the day. I started out on the "street" class but was moved up to intermediate by the end of second session

I've driven this track a number of times over the years so I know it quite well, but have never ridden it on a bike. It's not a tight track, but also doesn't have long fast sections either, but still ended up watching the r1's etc pull away from me on the straights like I was riding in the other direction

Had some issues in the first session too, was having trouble shifting gears, but made some adjustments and tried to take my time letting it shift (was trying to shift too fast, unsettling the bike a bit or couldn't find 3-2 a couple of times, and new boots I'd never worn didn't help) but some lever/cable adjustments and 2nd session was much faster.

Managed to get the bike right over and get my knee down, smashed the footpegs, chewed the tyres right out (all balled up and chopped out, feathered right off the edge), destroyed the brake pads and blue'd/cooked the rotors, went through 2 tanks of fuel, and had a fucking blast!

Bike needs a lot of work and has a lot of shortcomings - new front and rear suspension going in this Friday, new rubber being ordered tomorrow, and needs a better set of bars.

But all in all had a great day, and waiting for the next one now (hopefully heading out end of next month), will be on a better prepared bike so should be a bit faster.

The wife managed to snap a couple of pics while at the start but nothing after.

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
'22
52 Posts
Sounds like a cool experience! 😃
I bet it's going to feel like a completely different bike next time, with the new suspension mounted.💪

What's your next set of tires going to be? If you plan on doing trackdays more often, you might want something more suitable than a Road 5? :)

·
Registered
2017 XSR700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Sounds like a cool experience! 😃
I bet it's going to feel like a completely different bike next time, with the new suspension mounted.💪

What's your next set of tires going to be? If you plan on doing trackdays more often, you might want something more suitable than a Road 5? :)
It was, i had a blast. The stock suspension sure does let the team down though. Have bought YSS full front fork kit (PD Valves/Preload adjusters/progressive springs and rear adj. monosmock) and will go for at least a 20W oil, is all being installed and setup next week.

Unsure about rubber, potentially a pirelli rosso IV or a even a supercorsa, both are available off the shelf in correct sizing and aren't shocking price wise, i do still street this bike a lot so i dont want to commit to full race rubber. I knew the road 5's would be another limiting factor today, but i still wanted to head out and get a baseline before i start making drastic changes. They still did pretty well considering, but after today they're just shot.

Im never going to keep up with the R1's etc on the straights, but i can sure as hell keep em honest in the twisty stuff hahaha.

·
Registered
664 Posts
[..] I knew the road 5's would be another limiting factor today, but i still wanted to head out and get a baseline before i start making drastic changes. They still did pretty well considering, but after today they're just shot.

[..]
I see nothing limiting in the Road 5s, I even say, the last to blame are the Michelins. In one season I have ridden the MR5 three days on the track at very high temperatures and in total 12000 km until worn. There are many other points to rework, improve or to change.
Biggest limiting factor is always the rider, but as it is easier to to change some other things. For sure upgrading the suspension is highly recommended. Raising the rear a bit, higher rear sets will create a bigger ground clearance in the curves.

Enjoy your track riding,
hombacher

·
Registered
2017 XSR700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I see nothing limiting in the Road 5s, I even say, the last to blame are the Michelins. In one season I have ridden the MR5 three days on the track at very high temperatures and in total 12000 km until worn. There are many other points to rework, improve or to change.
Biggest limiting factor is always the rider, but as it is easier to to change some other things. For sure upgrading the suspension is highly recommended. Raising the rear a bit, higher rear sets will create a bigger ground clearance in the curves.

Enjoy your track riding,
hombacher
The issue is I also don't know how old they are, they seem very hard and she started getting kinda squirrely in the later sessions, I ended up running 30psi front and 28 rear (cold) and it did seem to help, but they just seemed to fall on their face grip wise in the last session so I called it a day. I'll hit the streets again and see what they're like.

Rearsets are also on the agenda, as is a quickshifter and a fitech ABS delete, with new pads. Only other mods will be bars, and reflashed ECU with limiters removed and open throttles.

I wont be raising it at all, i've actually lowered the front a little, as I have a rather short inseam for being 6ft tall and stand on the balls of my feet at standstill. I have an adjustable lowering link for the rear I'm still debating using, and I'm hoping rearsets will provide enough clearence,

I had it over enough yesterday I was using full edge of tyre and hit the sides of my boots a few times.

And absolutely, 100%, the rider is the limiting factor here, still have mountains to learn, in reality i only spent an hour in the saddle yesterday. But probably learned more in that hour than 3 months on the street.

I didn't feel like I was trying to outride the bike yesterday but was asked to move up a group by the end of the second session and friends who were out there riding and watching said I was much faster by the end of the day. I'm heading out at least twice before the end of the year, plus However many street miles I can cover

·
Registered
664 Posts
The issue is I also don't know how old they are, they seem very hard and she started getting kinda squirrely in the later sessions, I ended up running 30psi front and 28 rear (hot) and it did seem to help, but they just seemed to fall on their face grip wise in the last session so I called it a day. I'll hit the streets again and see what they're like.
[..]
I had it over enough yesterday I was using full edge of tyre and hit the sides of my boots a few times.
[..]
Riding the MR5s v/r at 2,3/2,5 (33/36 psi) cold is a very comfortable value. So I think that you are riding with a very low tire pressure. Not wondering that you stressed the rubbers, used full edge and had a negative feedback.
if there are no temperatures far above 30 °C I would suggest a 2,3/2,3 or 2,3/2,1 (33/30 psi) cold for the track.

Regarding your other changes, not sure that every change will lead to the expected upgrade. Except the ABS delete, I can not recommend that a beginner eliminates the ABS.

·
Registered
2017 XSR700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Riding the MR5s v/r at 2,3/2,5 (33/36 psi) cold is a very comfortable value. So I think that you are riding with a very low tire pressure. Not wondering that you stressed the rubbers, used full edge and had a negative feedback.
if there are no temperatures far above 30 °C I would suggest a 2,3/2,3 or 2,3/2,1 (33/30 psi) cold for the track.

Regarding your other changes, not sure that every change will lead to the expected upgrade. Except the ABS delete, I can not recommend that a beginner eliminates the ABS.
Thanks for the replies/input Hombacher, its greatly appreciated, seeing as you have tracked your 700 quite a lot i value your opinion

Those are the exact pressures i started out with, street pressures (33/36psi) and then i lowered them when i got to the track to around (33/32-31) and one of the guys i was sharing the shed with suggested dropping them another couple of PSI front and rear and see how it felt and i found them better.

Going from what you are saying maybe the tyre was rolling over a bit more and i was using more contact patch, but in turn started chewing out the tyres? I went out with stone cold rubber every session but gave myself a full lap to get heat into them. Ambient temp was around 22deg c that day as well.

other mods im looking at doing are for various reasons,

quickshifter - i find this bike has a very jerky/on-off clutch that can unsettle it a bit, no matter how smooth im trying to be with the lever. Was adjusted a few times during the day and did feel better but im still not happy with it, especially compared to my KTM RC390

Flashed ECU - this is originally a LAMS restricted bike so is down on power and has RPM/Speed limiters compared to a standard XSR700, i have swapped out the throttle plate but wish to remove the restricted throttle tubes and to do so it needs the ECU flashed. This track i find myself either being too high RPM as i run out of room to shift gears and is probably quicker to hold it in gear, and other sections it needs to get out of the hole faster so i can change gears earlier. Im not quite sure how to explain it properly.

I guess i found it lacking in power in certain sections, and other sections my riding was what let it down. But going over the track maps with the guys in my shed (CBR1000 and R1), i was clocking 170-180km/h in certain sections, but they were around 220 and in a lower gear (pinching/shortshifting 5th compared to my 4th - turn 5 sweeper especially)

The other thing i may look at is potentially a 44T or 45T sprocket, get it out of the hole a bit quicker so i can get into lower gears faster. And i REALLY need to install my R6 throttle tube.

ABS Delete - I found i tripped the ABS a number of times, especially along the back straight hard into turn 8 which is top of 4th gear hard braking down into 2nd gear into the esses, guys i was riding with said removing it would be a lot more progressive and easier to manipulate control, i pulled the fuses when i was out there and it felt a lot better on the limit. Ive read some of your posts regarding pads and lines etc, and im looking at upgrading pads and lines and full fluid flush etc as well, potentially the rotors. Am currently looking at options.

Automotive tire Font Line Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
2017 XSR700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
So dropped the XSR off at Hoey this afternoon for suspension install/fork build/setup. And riding it down there, i had an epiphany. I thoroughly enjoy this bike as it is, if i start tracking it more and more and i have an "oops" moment and damage it, (or worse - destroy it) ill be pissed, and it'll be nigh on impossible to replace.

So, i bought another bike hahaha. I haven't sold the XSR, im just going to leave it as it is/finish all the little bits i want to do and enjoy it for what i bought it for, hills riding, cruising around and just enjoying being on it.

Im now the proud owner of a 2008 Triumph Daytona 675 track bike. Has all the things i was going to do to the XSR and then some, but in a bike that im not too attached to, and won't cost a mint to replace. Needs new rubber and a new chain, but has no ABS, braided lines, new pads, tuneECU reflash, stainless exhaust, bobbins and paddock stands and a few other odds and ends. in a MUCH more track friendly package. And picked it up for the princely sum of $3000 aud. Which is probably less than what i would have spent setting up the XSR for more track riding.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Will be adding Pirelli supercorsa rubber (same tyre sizes as the XSR) YSS suspension front and rear and full setup, cutting down the loom and removing all the excess stuff that isn't needed, and a race fairing kit. Doesnt need any more power (112hp) and just going full send. Now i can jump on the XSR whenever, and just enjoy myself on it, yet its still capable of carving in the hills and backroads, exactly what i originally bought it for.

I think all thats left on the XSR is black out the exhaust, and may add a belly pan. but undecided. some days i like them and some days i dont. Im also going to do a +1 or +2 rear sprocket on the back, as it apparently makes a huge difference to how they ride.

Pics of the XSR and the daytona tomorrow night/saturday.

·
Registered
2017 XSR700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Now that's a plot twist 😄
I totally understand though! (y)
Consider me JK Rowling 😆

Common-sense would have said buy another Yamaha (r6), but this was too good a price to pass up, and the daytona fits me really well, is great to ride, has massive aftermarket support and at a track day I won't be like all the other 15-20 r6 riders😆

Now I have something I can not be SUPER concerned if I bin it, and is really meant to be ridden on track, and the XSR get all the attention.

Plus the xsr is super comfortable and I'm happy to spend hours in the saddle just fanging about and I kinda didn't want to ruin that and take away from the enjoyment I get from riding it.

I'm still debating a colour change on the xsr from the garage metal, I change my mind like my underwear over that.

Needs a service too, so when I get it home tonight I might give it a birthday and change fluids and filters and give it a proper clean too

Can't wait to ride it with some decent suspension, not the 16,000 km old stock waterbed shocks 🤣👌

21 - 40 of 50 Posts