XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First how do I know what setting it is on? I see the collar with the idents around the top above the preload collar.
Also, on other shocks I’ve worked with, dirt bikes, there is a second collar that had to be loosened before you come kid adjust the preload, how do you loosen the collar to turn it? I’ve used the tool, but it won’t turn under quite a bit of force.
Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Xsrbaron,

Look in the Owners manual page 3.20. (page 35 in the PDF I have attached to this message).
There is only one adjustment ring where you need the wrench tool to turn it. There are no "second collar" on this shock.

If you don't know which setting the rear shock is in, then turn it all the way to either position 1 or 9. And then count the clicks. It should be easiest to start in postion 1 and then move forward.

I hope it clearified some of your questions.

Ride safe!

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi,

there is no second lock nut, which you know from more convenient rear shock models. The XSR shock is cheap and simple as possible.

The collar you see, is the slotted nut which you may adjust. It works like a ramp, which you climb up or down to increase or lower the preload of the spring. And yes, it is no nice work to do, handling with the wrench is close to impossible and it needs some considerable force.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi

As hombacher said - it does take some force to move, but once you've done the first 'notch' it's a little easier! Think the factory setting was 3 on mine - I'm on 7 at 70kgs and it's 'ok'. Cant warrant an Ohlins £ upgrade

·
Registered
492 Posts
Old school ramp with detents, much easier than the locking rings used on higher line and off road bike shocks, but only 9 settings where the screw aduster is virtually infinite.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Spritzing a bit of lube (WD40) does help a bit in moving the preload collar. Bear in mind that rebound is fixed (non adjustable) and it might be a bit fast if you are a heavy person with the spring fully preloaded. After 30K Km the shock needs servicing (yes, it is possible) and one could go for more rebound damping then.

·
Registered
2018 XSR700, 2009 Yamaha R6
253 Posts
The factory wrench has an extension piece that fits like a breaker bar to increase the torque and make it easier to turn.

·
Registered
409 Posts
you can tap a screwdriver to move it

No, you should not do, this collar will dent immediately. The screw driver may be used as ultima ratio if you have the two lock nuts mounted.
And before you start with a screw driver, try to turn the whole spring by your two hands...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Xsrbaron,

Look in the Owners manual page 3.20. (page 35 in the PDF I have attached to this message).
There is only one adjustment ring where you need the wrench tool to turn it. There are no "second collar" on this shock.

If you don't know which setting the rear shock is in, then turn it all the way to either position 1 or 9. And then count the clicks. It should be easiest to start in postion 1 and then move forward.

I hope it clearified some of your questions.

Ride safe!

Thanks, brother. I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi

As hombacher said - it does take some force to move, but once you've done the first 'notch' it's a little easier! Think the factory setting was 3 on mine - I'm on 7 at 70kgs and it's 'ok'. Cant warrant an Ohlins £ upgrade
Wow, any static sag at all? I weigh a bit more, had it on 4 and was okay, put it to 5 and it was jarring my spine on shite roads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts