XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've modified and face-lifted my 2018 XSR700 every year since I got it from the first owner three years ago (it was in stock condition). More and more I put hands on it, I feel like I'm distancing away from my state of contentment. Anyone experiencing this?
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 XSR700 (YPVS style)
92 Posts
I like the Walking Dead look in the last pic 🧟‍♂️ Nice and unique.

I assume you mean you are becoming less content? I have contentment issues with most of my bikes after a few years, falling in and out of love with them at times. This has resulted in selling a bike and then sometimes then regretting the sale!:rolleyes:

My 2022 XSR is heavy on the cosmetic modifications to look like a 1980’s RD350 YPVS and I still love it….for now;)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting. Well its a pretty good looking bike standard. The guys at Yamaha obviously know what they are doing design wise. So maybe you just found out its not that easy improving on it? Although i must say you have come up with a pretty coherent design on the last picture. Maybe just a bit too much but it does work.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The metamorphoses our bikes undertake year over year is simply incredible. The XSR700 in particular seems especially susceptible to radical changes, with each of us either having a vision of the end state or simply tiring of the current state.

Here's a few of the changes my bike has undergone over the past few years.
Water Fuel tank Wheel Sky Tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
'22
52 Posts
Totally relatable! :)
When you have a stock new bike, you can't wait to modify it.
After it's completely modded, you start to look back and think "the stock bike actually looked pretty good"

I always try to either make reversible mods, or "no regret mods" like technical upgrades.

·
Registered
2022 XSR700 (YPVS style)
92 Posts
After it's completely modded, you start to look back and think "the stock bike actually looked pretty good"

I always try to either make reversible mods, or "no regret mods" like technical upgrades.
So true, I modded my Triumph Street Cup, kept the bits and reverted it back to standard 3 years later. Then I sold the bike and now wish I'd kept it. 🤣

·
Registered
253 Posts
I worked the bike weaknesses, while I blacked out and "retro-ified" the looks. Wanted any casual look, to seem like I rescued and restored some unrecognizable 70's UJM (universal jap motorcycle).

But inside lurks the opened up intake, the valves adjusted to the edge of tolerance, and Ohlins stx rear & nix-22 fork cartridges, Dunlop Q3+, Brembo master cylinder, +

That bike is me - old looks & they never see me coming!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I assume you mean you are becoming less content? I have contentment issues with most of my bikes after a few years, falling in and out of love with them at times. This has resulted in selling a bike and then sometimes then regretting the sale!:rolleyes:

My 2022 XSR is heavy on the cosmetic modifications to look like a 1980’s RD350 YPVS and I still love it….for now;)

View attachment 27829
Nice 80's nostalgic work done to today's model! Flashing back my high school years that I wanted to ride with my buddies but my parents did not agree with. I wish I did... 😞

View attachment 27829
[/QU

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The metamorphoses our bikes undertake year over year is simply incredible. The XSR700 in particular seems especially susceptible to radical changes, with each of us either having a vision of the end state or simply tiring of the current state.

Here's a few of the changes my bike has undergone over the past few years.
View attachment 27830 View attachment 27831 View attachment 27832
I cannot agree more. I have a vision of the end state at the beginning of each mods. As soon as it is done, I'm already thinking next... I'm curious about your single seat in the second pic because I'm thinking about it next. Nice matching color for the tank and 3 side dots. I did that, too. (y)

·
Registered
315 Posts
@kento - Go for a trip. Weekend, or longer if you can. Stick to back roads and rural hwys and explore. Challenge yourself to stay away from big cities and big roads. I find some bonding time with the bike either helps you decide what you want to do next, or helps you realize you only need more time riding the bike instead of changing it or working on it.

I had a nice 5 hour ride this morning, running East into Alabama for a tag game. Endured about an hour of moderate rain, but was dressed for it in goretex, so really not an issue. Back roads and small towns. Saw some fun and unique things, dragged a peg a couple of times w/o intended to and discovered the XSR doesn't like riding off curbs, (small dent in the header to make the point). What did solidify is that I'm happy with some of the anti spray mods I did to the bike, as they worked as well or better than I had hoped in the rain. The XSR continues to put a smile on my face and does what I ask it to well.

Consider adding your location to your profile, (city, state), as it gives context to your posts and allows others to offer more specific suggestions sometimes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@kento - Go for a trip. Weekend, or longer if you can. Stick to back roads and rural hwys and explore. Challenge yourself to stay away from big cities and big roads. I find some bonding time with the bike either helps you decide what you want to do next, or helps you realize you only need more time riding the bike instead of changing it or working on it.

I had a nice 5 hour ride this morning, running East into Alabama for a tag game. Endured about an hour of moderate rain, but was dressed for it in goretex, so really not an issue. Back roads and small towns. Saw some fun and unique things, dragged a peg a couple of times w/o intended to and discovered the XSR doesn't like riding off curbs, (small dent in the header to make the point). What did solidify is that I'm happy with some of the anti spray mods I did to the bike, as they worked as well or better than I had hoped in the rain. The XSR continues to put a smile on my face and does what I ask it to well.

Consider adding your location to your profile, (city, state), as it gives context to your posts and allows others to offer more specific suggestions sometimes.
Thanks for your suggestion. I mostly ride to commute 30 mins to an hour at the most each way depending on either freeway or backroads during summer here in the Pacific Northwest. Definitely I'm missing out the longer weekend rides. I'll give a try 🙏

·
Registered
91 Posts
I cannot agree more. I have a vision of the end state at the beginning of each mods. As soon as it is done, I'm already thinking next... I'm curious about your single seat in the second pic because I'm thinking about it next. Nice matching color for the tank and 3 side dots. I did that, too. (y)
The solo seat was offered by Yamaha as an option. Not sure if it is still offered.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The solo seat is still available. Not that expensive either, $115. I put one on my '22 XSR. It's a little firmer than the stock seat, but I've been comfortable on it so far. Some multi-day trips and 4 hour rides with only a couple of stops. Like any seat, it needs some break in time.

Bothel is a good place for riding. Seasonal in the mountains a bit, but coastal options too. I spent ~45 years in/around Portland. Hwy 2 over to Leavenworth, down to Cle Elum and back to Bothel is a nice day ride and good leaf peeping this time of year. Just watch out for the tourists in Leavenworth! Good wine tasting ride options too, if that's your thing.

Or take the ferry over to Kingston run over to Port Angeles and down to Hoquiam, back over to Oly and burn up 5/405 to home. Skokomis to Sunset beach alternative is fun too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've modified and face-lifted my 2018 XSR700 every year since I got it from the first owner three years ago (it was in stock condition). More and more I put hands on it, I feel like I'm distancing away from my state of contentment. Anyone experiencing this? View attachment 27826 View attachment 27827 View attachment 27828
What no degree of refashioning can alter, provided the fundamental powertrain and geometry are left alone; is the elemental joy of winding this bike through the gears on a twisty road. The XSR700 is a BLAST to ride.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have to say that I am in somewhat the ultimate challenge. I've had the XSR for about three years now and have done about 60% of the changes I want. I've done two longer rides this year and find it is near ideal for my ergonomic preferences - it fits nice. I did get a shade saddle sore, but that is more due to not riding than the bike.

I had the ultimate challenge in that as an AMA member I was drawn for their 2021 membership sweepstakes Yamaha MT-09. It was to be a 2021 MT-09 Special, but the supply lines issues had them send a 2022 standard MT-09. So I have a choice. I've ridden an FJ-09 which is now the Tracer, my brother has one.

The choice is made. I keep the 700 and sell the 09. The trips convinced me I'm fine and I do like the looks of my bike and it will only improve when it gets the other changes done. I don't need over 100 hp, I don't need ride modes, I don't need the taller bike. I'm content. The MT-09 will be someone else's ride, I have my XSR700 and the MT-9 can help pay for house siding with no regrets.

Fact is I'd possibly still be riding a 1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S if I hadn't had to sell it back in 1996 due to a work layoff. It was in the same kind of performance range as the XSR and I really liked the red/white/blue graphics. About the only changes it would have if I still had it would be 17" wheels. I tend to buy bikes I will keep for a long time, like the 1995 Kawasaki KLX650 that I still have and put 50,000 miles on it at this point.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I always wondered about those sweepstakes things... until now. I've been an American Motorcyclist Association for around 30 years total, about 15 consecutive years at this point. From when I was racing a bit until now to support legislative lobbying and the vehicle towing package. Now this has pretty much compensated for all those years of the dues. :p

·
Registered
2017 XSR700
37 Posts
Im a big fan of number 2 (As it matches my helmet/race leathers)

I find the hardest thing is i see other bike models/brands built/modified and dig the shit out of them, yet if i went to do them on the XSR they wouldn't work, or would look a bit odd.

But ive always liked doing things differently. there's a few things on mine i havent seen (whitewalls/XSR900 cowl) or are a bit rarer, especially on a US based forum (S2 concept headlight and cowl, JVBMoto front fender. Now im going out on a limb with a colour that is going to look either incredible, or like utter dogshit. i dont think theres a middle ground haha.

My whole bike is no regrets haha. Full send or go home. I didnt hate the stock bike, but i always knew what it could be from the moment i saw it. the R7 WGP i went to originally purchase no longer existed when i saw the 700 hidden away in the corner.

It's not your bike. It's the normal human condition, of resisting what is present, and seeking what is not present. Only cure for resisting and seeking is philosophy.

It's ok. You just have to let it be ok.
I think this hit it on the head. if it keeps changing and evolving etc it remains interesting. Some people are wired like that. Some people are wired to do what they want and then just be happy with it at that point. Im firmly NOT the latter :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts