XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined about 3 weeks ago to get some advice after a less than positive test ride on an XTribute.

After a much better second test ride I took the plunge and bought a 0 miles pre-reg 21 bike.
The dealer also took my 18 year old Firestorm in part ex, which made things a lot easier (only space for one bike in the garage).
Bike arrived on Thursday last week but due to having a (non-name-brand) chest infection for a few days didn't get out to ride until Saturday.
(The dealer fitted XSR900 bars for me at cost)
Pre-first ride 7.30 Saturday morning.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Plant Light Vehicle Speedometer

About 90 minutes first ride and a lot of fun. Completely different riding position to what I've been used to but it shouldn't take me too long for it to feel natural.
I went out for another ride in the afternoon and already made a couple of changes.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Plant

Another 90 minutes, but this time my backside was killing me around the hour mark. Another 90 minute ride yesterday afternoon sealed it - the solo seat is less comfortable for me than the standard seat and I start to suffer at around 60 minutes. I'll probably send the solo seat off for some reshaping and a gel insert.

This bike is really a toy for me - I don't commute any more and only ride in good weather so this is a bit of fun to keep me young.

Future plans - change of colour for the tank centre panel and front mudguard, relocate the speedo, MT-07 upper fork covers, aftermarket pipe, tail-tidy and do something about the hideous tail light! Oh and LED indicators and front light - the XSR125 front light looks like it may work...

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
I tried the solo seat - didn't work for me either. I ended up fitting the XTribute standard seat to my XSR - worked a treat. I'd recommend that option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi GSH,
Congratulations on your new purchase. I have the 2021 in the same colours. I think mine was the last of the Emissions 4 as it doesn’t have the cat plate on the down pipe. I like my standard bars & rear light cluster but I guess it’s all down to personal taste.
Regarding the seat, I changed mine to the flat seat which I am still breaking in along with my butt…..45 minutes at the moment & I am completely numb!! I guess it will take at least 1000 miles to break in properly so then hopefully longer rides. Look forward to seeing your mods when done. These are great bikes with an oh so reliable engine capable of big miles. Well done again on your purchase. Ade.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wonderful, Sir. Welcome again to the place :)
Thank you!
The bike looks great and now I am tempted to get the 900 bars myself! :unsure:

Glad it worked out for you in the end(y)
Definitely worth it if you want a slightly more aggressive riding position. Plus no mucking about with drilling holes for/grinding off the control tabs.
I tried the solo seat - didn't work for me either. I ended up fitting the XTribute standard seat to my XSR - worked a treat. I'd recommend that option.
Originally I was contemplating buying an Xtribute and the seat on the test ride felt fine. I'm still preferring the single seat and no pillion pegs aesthetically but to be honest the Xtribute seat may still be an option.
Hi GSH,
Congratulations on your new purchase. I have the 2021 in the same colours. I think mine was the last of the Emissions 4 as it doesn’t have the cat plate on the down pipe. I like my standard bars & rear light cluster but I guess it’s all down to personal taste.
Regarding the seat, I changed mine to the flat seat which I am still breaking in along with my butt…..45 minutes at the moment & I am completely numb!! I guess it will take at least 1000 miles to break in properly so then hopefully longer rides. Look forward to seeing your mods when done. These are great bikes with an oh so reliable engine capable of big miles. Well done again on your purchase. Ade.
Yes, 45 mins things start to tingle and by an hour they are screaming. I'm putting the standard seat back on for this weekend's rides to confirm it's the solo seat. If it is I'll have whoever does the work use the shape/padding etc of the standard seat as the template for redoing the solo.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've got a relocator bracket thing if you fancy it - I can't remember what I paid for it but you can take it off me for that if you like 😁😁

I went XTribute seat and so glad I did tbh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts