XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up my new XSR700 in garage metal, loved the look of it and the potential for tweaking it to my liking. After taking it for a single ride I began to take it apart! For me the tail needed to be shorter, so I set to it:

Firstly making a cardboard template before manufacturing a metal version

Then I had a number plate and indicator bracket made

Then it was new light and indicators and the short seat re-trimmed

I've added a few other bits and pieces i.e Akro race exhaust (it sound fantastic), mesh inserts for the side panels, tool and tank bag, black radiator front and side covers, JVB front fender (still to be sprayed), brown Biltwell Thruster grips (not yet in the pictures) and the results are just what I wanted.....

The bike is very much lighter as a result too, I'd estimate the exhaust and tail change has saved a minimum of 10kG!

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have good taste ;) - I've done the same to mine.

I'd maybe think twice about riding it in the rain. Without the the fender you get a very wet ass very quickly! I'm in the process of making a removable rear fender I can store under the seat as it's that bad!

Bike looks great though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea #13 in regard to the fender, I just got caught in a light shower but nothing too bad... I'm a fair weather biker in reality so I'm not too worried about walking around damp.

Couple more pics from today and now with the grips...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guy's very happy with it and I have to say the weight loss is really noticeable too, handling and balance if not the outright performance is so much nicer than my previous Triumph Street Triple.

The exhaust note? One word.... Evil!
It pops and bangs on lift off, sounds exactly like the bike should. To the point that my friend (Ducati streetfighter with Termi cans) can't believe the sound it makes!!

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Great looking bike....Did you fit the fork gaiters to yours or were they fitted at the dealer??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice work @LeeH0121
Did you have any drawings made up for this or did you just measure out and cut yourself? My mate has his own engineering firm and I've asked him to make something similar. He said sketch out your design and he'll get it made. Just be handy if someone has already measured out and would be willing to share.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've just put a deposit down on silver xsr700. The first thing I wanted to do was change that horrendous plate holder.

I was looking to fabricate a template and came across this post. Yours looks great, I love how clean it is now.

When you changed the indicators and brake lights did you need to change the relay? I'm looking at getting a brake light like this with the built in indicators and was just wondering if it will work ok. I've never messed with bike electrics before. I'm sure it's not too difficult but I don't want to ruin anything.

Thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331728526535

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update...

With the garage metal tank panels so easily marked it's time to have some paint work done, colour choosen, panels with the bodyshop, looking forward to getting it put back together.... in the meantime she's totally naked!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It wasn't too bad, I was looking for an excuse to custom paint really, it did have a few marks from wheeling it out of the garage and where the rivets on my jeans had caught it. It does mark so much easier than paint though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Can't wait to see it finished.

I agree with the tank being easily marked. I've noticed several light scratches already, most people wouldn't notice but it annoys me knowing its there!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts