XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the topic of motorcycle storage using minimal space, there are dollies. Harbor Freight in the U.S. sells a low priced decent model. Here is a review of them click here.

If you really need or want to minimize the footprint of your motorcycles in the garage or shop, here are a couple great videos from Ray916MN, from the ADVrider forum, who posted some Youtube videos under SBK Stash. You will notice the bikes he has on the dollies in the video and he even comments on stability. As I was looking at the dollies I realize the width of the wheels is about the same as the average center stand on bikes that have them, so it makes sense that the dollies are stable.

The first one outlining the pros and cons of the Harbor Freight vs another higher tech dolly. The Harbor Freight dolly is about the least expensive one in the U.S., probably there are similar or same models in the rest of the world. The other is how the rider set up the Harbor Freight unit to do away with the side stand pad and cut down on the footprint of the bike storage. The benefit being the bike is upright, taking less floor space, and you'll see he needs floor space. If you look at the bikes you will see he has total faith in the setup, putting five figure sport bikes on them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have 2 of the sidestand dollies (in the UK).

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank

Naturally, they are Chinese. This red one wasn't made all that well and needed a bit of filing to get the holes to align. I changed the casters to rubber tyred type to aid maneuvering. It has carried a Street Triple/MT09SP/Kawa H1F/Z900RS and the XSR - they all fitted. I also bought a black one (which I assume is also Chinese), it's the same design but slightly flimsier - and the holes lined up.
I had a 675 Street Triple for a while and they were having issues with the ignition switch wires being pulled from the switch with constant full-lock turns so my initial plan was to use this to turn the bike around and I still use it for that purpose. Later, when I bought a second bike, I use them to put the bikes nose-to-tail at the end of the garage so I can still get the car in. I miss the US double garages - relatively rare in the UK.

I made an "oxygen tent" with a dehumidifier to keep the dreaded rust away:

Flooring Floor Automotive tire Gas House

The dollies don't like this flooring though - I wish I'd paid more for the smooth tiles.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to clean my garage enough to do one or two. The floor may be too rough, but we shall see. I just really liked Ray916MN's review of the dollies. He did a similar review of the three lifts that he has used. One was a high dollar scissor type table, another was the low priced Harbor Freight type (you guys will have to figure out the equivalent, but I know they're all over the place), and finally a swing arm pivot lift that allows rotating the bike to access areas with better ease and removal of both wheels without problem.

The one thing I read about the low buck dolly so far is apparently they must be using 5.8 or lower grade bolts, people snapping them off too easily. I figure if I pick one up I'll just change out the hardware to some better 8.8 grad fasteners... which will also be Chinese, but hopefully better quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts