XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to have knee surgery a few weeks ago. Combine with the up coming winter I’m done riding for the year. Two questions:

1. Do you guys have any recommendations for motorcycle covers? The fabric drop cloth type just to keep all my garage dust off things.

2. Do you change the oil before winter? Do you add fuel stabilizer?

·
Registered
614 Posts
My number one recommendation if you live middle to southern U.S. is to keep the bike ready to go, when it reaches 40° F and the roads are not salt covered, fire up the bike and go ride around town for a half hour or so. It is always better if you can go out and about for a half hour or so maybe twice a month. Keeps everything working great.

Otherwise I'd say take one last half hour or more ride, go to a gas station, put in some stabilizer, fill it up, then go home and park it. Changing the oil would be fine and turn the engine over enough to get oil through the engine. Cover the bike up, hook up the trickle charger every month, just because.

But riding is still the best even if it is only a couple times. Just make sure the bike comes up to full temperature to cook off any moisture in the engine. Do not start the bike and let it idle for 15 minutes in the garage, won't cook off moisture, would likely end up with more condensation inside the engine.

You might also consider stuffing a rag, plastic bag, or a cork in the exhaust (or covering it if it is more open) and same with the intake to keep rodents out. No nests in the air box or muffler. Just hang a note on your key ring about the rag in the intake so you don't have it sucked in the air box.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are great suggestions actually. Unfortunately due to my knee surgery I won’t be able to ride at for about another month. I live in Michigan so the snow is coming too. But perhaps you’re correct. I pick and choose dry days (temps be damned) and simply riding in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yeah, I'm in Ohio, around Columbus. I can ususally squeeze in a day a month if fortunate. Michigan starts getting too far norht plus lake effect.

One thing my son-in-law did was find a good day to run as much gas out as possible, then put in gas with no ethanol, so no moisture would draw in the gas. He actually bought some race gas, to make sure there was no ethanol.

But at a minimum I'd do either Stabil or the K100 treatments in a full tank of gas. The full tank of gas does two things. A minimum amount of surface area per the quantity of fuel, for the aromatics to evaporate out of the fuel (aka break down). The other is it minimizes the space in the tank for air that may carry moisture.

Here's that lovable Great White North man with the knowledge, Ryan at FortNine to fill us in:

Before getting operated on, go for a good long ride to get everything dried out in the engine and well lubricated, do the oil change before if you wish. Then put in the gas with no ethanol and add the fuel stabilizer before completely filling. Just put in however much they tell you, more is not better.

I hope your knee surgery goes great. Do the therapy as they tell you , don't push it or skip it. They know what they're talking about. I'm recovering from rotator cuff work myself and about due to go back to work in the classroom.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Being Canadian here is my process.
wash bike thoroughly and dry
lube -chain
Check tire pressures.
put on stand, i have a centre stand.
spray ac50 on metal bits
drop oil in sparkplug hole
Mix fuel stabilizer with gas and fill tank to the max.
Spray whole bike with fogging oil.
plug exhaust
remove battery , put it on smart tender inside house
put breathable cover on.
i put mothballs around shed for critters.
Watch hockey and wait

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm finally fortunate, I have my shop which finally got heat last winter. Keep it about 55°F (about 13°C for the rest of the world) in there. Was just out there yesterday, putting some thread inserts into the bottom of my rear frame rail to attach number plate/luggage supports on the bike. Nice to finally work in a warm place and have a stogie to boot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Being Canadian here is my process.
wash bike thoroughly and dry
lube -chain
Check tire pressures.
put on stand, i have a centre stand.
spray ac50 on metal bits
drop oil in sparkplug hole
Mix fuel stabilizer with gas and fill tank to the max.
Spray whole bike with fogging oil.
plug exhaust
remove battery , put it on smart tender inside house
put breathable cover on.
i put mothballs around shed for critters.
Watch hockey and wait
It's the dropping oil in the cylinder pots that is the problem Don't you have drain the cooling system and remove the rad to do so?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts