XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I generally don't do a lot of modifications in the name of getting more power because I trade often and when I decide to pop for a new bike, I'm well aware of where it stands in the power delivery/performance category and I'm happy with that. I did sit down a few days ago because I was bored stiff with our winter weather (literally). I looked at the best full exhaust that I would go with (Akropovic) and not the most expensive of those, the associated Power Commander PCV and a K&N filter. Not a big deal because I'd done the same thing to several other bikes in the past (maybe with the exception of a slip-on instead of a complete exhaust system. The cost I came up with was about $1100 and I supposed that wasn't all that bad considering what I was getting as far as the components were concerned. Then I started to look at about what I might expect for my expenditure. The closest figures I could find as far as dyno results went were about a 3 H.P. gain at 9000 R.P.M. I suppose there are a lot of riders who would say that's OK, "I'm 3 H.P. ahead of the guy who doesn't add the stuff. In my more testosterone driven days when I did do extensive modding, we figured about $100/H.P. as a kind of guideline. These numbers I came up with are closer to $300/H.P. I guess what I came up with after my little numbers adventure was that the newer bikes are actually getting about as good as they are likely to get at the pricepoint we are getting them for and improving that is simply going to cost more, a lot more.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I bought the "learner" restricted bike here in Australia and found out that I could unleash most of the "hidden horses" by simply swapping the throttle plate (where cables attach to)
US$ 25 later and suddenly I gain a lot of power in the top end: the throttle is allowed to open fully, like on a standard US model.
A few mods further (shave the throat of the air filter box) could maybe squeeze a tiny bit more but honestly I see no point: this bike shines in the lower end and being a naked style, high speed travel on the highway is not ideal. If I was after more power/speed I would just simply get the XSR900, no?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the "learner" restricted bike here in Australia and found out that I could unleash most of the "hidden horses" by simply swapping the throttle plate (where cables attach to)
US$ 25 later and suddenly I gain a lot of power in the top end: the throttle is allowed to open fully, like on a standard US model.
A few mods further (shave the throat of the air filter box) could maybe squeeze a tiny bit more but honestly I see no point: this bike shines in the lower end and being a naked style, high speed travel on the highway is not ideal. If I was after more power/speed I would just simply get the XSR900, no?
Roger that, you'd get a boat load more power for what, about a grand or so? Now, that would be a pretty good $/H.P. gain. As I've said before on here, I had an FZ09 after my FZ07 and it was pretty darned wicked, maybe too wicked. The reason I sold it was I got a little over confident one day on one of my favorite twisties where it's hard to see ahead sometimes and I decided to pass (because I was over confident) and barely escaped a head-on with a car that was coming on quite a bit faster than I expected. I made the pass with my skin and my ass but it was then that I decided that I didn't need quite what I had and got a cruiser. I had a better idea with the Bolt what I could get away with and what I couldn't. The XSR is still plenty quick and fast. Might have to work it a bit harder to be really quick or fast but that's not a bad thing either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts