XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have turned everything upside down but can’t find the red key + one black key (which I kept together in a «safe» place). Yes, I know, not very safe. I suspect that I lost them when we moved houses a year back😒 The last black key was my «daily» key. Anyone know if I have to replace ECU etc? Or is it possible to just buy new keys and get them coded?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Having worked in a dealership some years back I'd say contact a Yamaha dealer and a locksmith, they would know if you have to order a key from Yamaha. Plus some dealers are nice enough to write your key code on the sales slip. I think I wrote mine on the title. I actually scratched them into the back of one of the covers on my Hondas.

If you can find the key code you may be able to get a key cut at a dealer or locksmith fairly easily if blanks are not a problem. We had no problem with Honda, but Kawasaki we had to buy from Kawasaki. We didn't sell Yamahas when I was doing keys, so not sure about them.

I will say usually the ignition switch has the code on it if you can find it, possibly the seat lock too, if you can get to the bolts to remove it. Someone posted that there was a pull lever somewhere to remove the seat without the key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts