XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Without trying to re-hash the same ol' discussions, I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations on a super-clean, minimal looking exhaust?

For my personal taste, most of the usual suspects (Akra, Scorpion etc.) that do sound fantastic are far too over the top or simply ugly (sorry!).

So far my favourites would be:

1. SC Project Conic
2. Brogue Motorcycles Spitfire (not UK legal however)
3. Ixil Hyperlow (if it was a bit cleaner… all one colour, single piece of material…no giant logo).

Being new to motorcycles, I certainly don't know all of the options out there so any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
Don't forget the Arrow and Giannelli. The Brogue Spitfire is on sale now for under $600, that is a bargain for a classic looking pipe. But, most of these are too loud for me. Advantage to the Scorpion is there is no fiberglass packing to degrade and need replacing every year. I wonder if an additional baffle could be installed in the Brogue to make it quieter.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers all,

Yeah the Akra isn't a bad option, just hoping I could find something even cleaner.

For me the Giannelli, Leo Vince and Zard are all a bit much for the look I'd like to achieve. The Arrow is OK until the cap at the end that looks like the lid from a McFlurry!

Anymore suggestions out there greatly appreciated :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the Akra Ti is a pretty understated look, but YMMV.
Hi,

I noticed that put up a pic of the Akra TI and you're located in Maryland. I have yet to find a link that ships to the US for the full titanium Akra exhaust that you linked (not the carbon/TI variation). Would you be able to let me know where you purchased your exhaust?

Thank you

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
588 Posts
Built a head pipe for my SR500 with a friend who is a wizard with a TIG welder. Even had the Supertrapp Kerker guy stick his card on the bike at Mid Ohio one year - asked what kind of pipe it was.

I'd put a picture here, but I still need six more posts, five after this one... https://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1867025/1978-yamaha-sr-500

A couple 180 bends, a 45 bend and a hack saw, about $25. It was plated for another $35. Could have done stainless, mandrel bends and all. Like I say, the guy who TIG'd it is a wizard with a welder and we had an eye for where it needed to go. It is also the correct length for best performance due to my researching the length and ID needed. 1.625 ID and 33" length.

Find the measurement requirements for the XSR from some known performance headers.

Food for thought - I was digging around, it would be interesting if a small street rod muffler could be fitted, they come in stainles with welded joints from a variety of sources, like Flowmaster and Moroso here in the U.S. Heck I considered doing a dual sport muffler with one of those short straight thru blooey tube mufflers on ebay. If one was small enough, why not?

·
Registered
588 Posts
FWIW, look at Speedway Motors to see some mufflers here. Any of the stainless can be polished or polished/brushed to look good. There are some as short as 12" maybe shorter Could even be cut down and rewelded.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FWIW, look at Speedway Motors to see some mufflers here. Any of the stainless can be polished or polished/brushed to look good. There are some as short as 12" maybe shorter Could even be cut down and rewelded.
Cheers pal, really appreciate your thoughts - will take a look and see!

·
Registered
588 Posts
On the Speedway site a few pages back there is a really gnarly looking round muffler with like 3" inlet/outlet angled a bit. A few more posts and I'd post the picture. interesting for sure. I don't know yet if the Yamaha muffler slips on to the head pipes, does it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the Speedway site a few pages back there is a really gnarly looking round muffler with like 3" inlet/outlet angled a bit. A few more posts and I'd post the picture. interesting for sure. I don't know yet if the Yamaha muffler slips on to the head pipes, does it?
No idea to be honest! I'm completely new to all of this haha, so learning as I go!

Did you post enough to upload the picture yet?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts