XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m good at google and our forum search feature, but can’t find anyone talking about master cylinder swaps or upgrades. Anyone attempted or researched? I desperately want to clean up this handle bar mess and that’s on my list. Maybe a Rizoma master cylinder upgrade, but I’d need to get the volume correctly matched to the stock.
Thanks y’all!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Maybe the fact that you can't find anything like a swap tells you something. Personally I think the front binders are pretty good on the XSR and like it's said, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

·
Registered
588 Posts
It is possible to gain more power using a slightly smaller master cylinder. But it takes research to figure which is which. I've only done anything like it twice. I did a single Honda Interceptor 500 caliper with a 1983 Gold Wing master cylinder knowing it was for a single caliper, so no research on size. Then I did a single handlebar mount master cylinder to operate all the calipers on a 1989 Gold Wing with a side car for a paraplegic. It took the biggest Grimeca master cylinder I could buy. I also had an experience demonstrating the opposite, my old MotoGuzzi had a wooden feel brake lever that required a gorilla grip to squeeze any braking out of it. After the fact I figured they must have used the double caliper master cylinder on a single caliper. Lousy brake pressure.

The relationship for more power is a smaller master cylinder piston, which increases pressure at the lever. The only issue is if it is too small it will not move enough fluid and pulls back to the bars. A single caliper sized master cylinder would make a really powerful brake if it could move enough fluid to work two calipers, but usually can't. I'm not sure how to find what sizes are, other than some serious digging. There was a sheet I found for Hondas that listed a dozen or so caliper piston sizes and master cylinder sizes. Allowed calculating the pressure per square millimeter.

Maybe joining the FZ07.org or similar more sporting forum might be better for sourcing the information. Wish I could be of more help.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Maybe the riding gear and apparel section is not the best source to find a new master?

I’m good at google and our forum search feature, but can’t find anyone talking about master cylinder swaps or upgrades. Anyone attempted or researched? I desperately want to clean up this handle bar mess and that’s on my list. Maybe a Rizoma master cylinder upgrade, but I’d need to get the volume correctly matched to the stock.
Thanks y’all!
As I remember correctly, Rizoma is not selling a master cylinder for replacement. Here and there they offer their machined reservoir to replace the typical urine cup. But XSR has a fixed reservoir, nothing to change there.

Except changing against a radial master and swapping the reservoir. But this is no cleaning up, isn't it? The cleanest master I know is the Beringer Master Cylinder with integrated reservoir.

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts
Maybe the riding gear and apparel section is not the best source to find a new master?
Agreed! I've moved this thread to Parts & Accessories - hopefully a bit more relevant!

I have to say that I can't imagine an insurance company would look too kindly at a master cylinder change for cosmetic benefits, in the event of a claim. As Flyerdon says, "if it ain't broke..."

·
Registered
588 Posts
We did a bit of research and Brembo said this:

Mark,

Thank you for the email to Brembo Italy. Your request was forwarded by Brembo to Race Technologies to support you. Race Technologies is the importer and commercial partner for the Brembo Motorcycle program in North America.

Thank you for the inquiry and desire to install a Brembo master on you XSR700. You are correct in your explanation “18mm would give maximum pressure with least effort, but have most lever travel”. The 18mm ratio setting offers more modulation. The 20 setting has a shorter lever throw.

But the 15 RCS is a little too small. The 17 RCS is a better fit for the dual sided 4 piston calipers on the Yamaha XSR700. The 17 RCS 110A26340 or the 17 RCS Corsa Corta 110C74040 would be a better fit. Please let us know if you have any other questions or would like us to put you in touch with an Official USA Brembo Moto Dealer.

17RCS CORSA CORTA Brake Master Cylinder

Forged Brake Master Cylinder

here is a good article from magazine.

MO Tested: Brembo 19 RCS Corsa Corta Master Cylinder

Kind Regards,

Nicole Lavash, Senior Account Manager

Motorcycle Program

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Race Technologies, LLC | Brembo Official Partner
17422 Murphy Avenue, Irvine, CA 92614

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Office: (714) 438-1118 x 160 | Fax: (714) 438-1119
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.racetechnologies.com | www.facebook.com/race.technologies

There ya go!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts