XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. With a standard headlight, Is the main bulb only supposed to come on high beam? In low beam on mine I only have the tiny aux bulb on, and that does nothing for visibility at night. So I’ve had to use high beam at night, and I've been getting flashed by oncoming traffic a fair bit. Is something wrong with my low beam, or is this normal?

I’m thinking I need to adjust the headlight down a fair bit so I can get some light on the road without blinding oncoming traffic. The manual is not helpful at all on that subject, all I can find is “have a dealer adjust it”. Surely they could have been more specific on how to do this. I’d be grateful for any tips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up taking the headlight out of the housing. On closer inspection, there are two screws that are designed to adjust the tilt of the headlight unit. They can be accessed from two tiny holes on the bottom of the housing - not easy to locate, and then a bit fiddly to insert a screw driver. But once you know they are there it's pretty easy.
Apart from that it's a bit of trial and error to turn the screws until the desired position of the headlight unit is achieved. Hopefully I've done enough to point it sufficiently down and to the nearside. Now I need to try it out in traffic and see if I get less of a reaction from oncoming vehicles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You still need a new bulb since your low beam dont work.
And if you now have adjusted the headlight so far down so that your high beam is ok for daylight your low beam will only light up your front fender. =)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, Dennis. That’s the part that confuses me - does the main bulb serve a dual function and operate with two different intensities (one for low beam, the other for high)? In which case, what is the point of the second tiny aux bulb?
The way my bike works at the moment is that the small bulb is on for low beam, and the main bulb is on for high beam. That seems logical, except that the low beam only serves a purpose as a daytime running light and is useless in the dark.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I ended up taking the headlight out of the housing. [..]
Why not spending a second and take the bulb in your hand? As it is defect already, you can touch the glass by hand, later with the new one, do not touch.

By inspection you will see two filaments. One for low beam, one for high beam. You will even see, that one filament is just broken now and hanging loose.

If the new bulb is installed, only one position is possible, and connected, the reflector positioned back in place, you will see following:
Ignition on (and engine running), one half of the reflector is lighted, the low beam or riding beam. On high beam hole the reflector is lighted.

So go back to the beginning, get a new headlight bulb. And yes, the headlight bulb integrates both, low and high beam, but with different filaments. That is the reason, that even one filament is broken, you can humble home.
The second far smaller bulb is your parking light. An day light option is not integrated int he XSR so far.

·
Super Moderator
773 Posts
Having been offline for a few days, I've just read through this thread....didn't know whether to laugh or cry! But, hey, hopefully all's well and a new bulb's been sourced and fitted. Low beam should now work ok - not brilliant illumination but better than a blown bulb!

·
Registered
537 Posts
i put led bulb, much better.
Most of those LED offerings are no good replacement for the conventional bulb type. Especially that they are not designed in a functional interaction with the reflector of your headlight. Most LED offerings are just some LEDs on a plastic strip to make some light.

The typical function of a headlight is to shine into the depth, without flashing the oncoming traffic, illuminating a wide area ahead from close to far and also a wide range of the street side. This is achieved by the reflector design. A LED not meeting that reflector design, does not work properly and can not be recommended. Actually I do not know any LED which has a proper street or legal approval.

·
Super Moderator
773 Posts
Agreed...a halogen replacement is usually a better option unless you intend to go down the full LED conversion route.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts