XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My leather tool bag, despite looking good, is not practical for real-world riding.

While rain is not common here in winter (Queensland) it was enough to get one decent downpour to understand that leather is not the best material: it took forever to dry and started to get moldy
馃槙

I have now sourced a slightly larger waterproof bag that still has that "vintage" look but is suitable for real riding, in all weather.
For the last two years I have used a bag from the same brand (Rockbros) on the rear of my saddle, and has been so far really good. I am confident that the new Rockbros bicycle handlebar bag will serve me well.
I have tried two different attachment point. Here attached to the rear, onto the subframe

Later, I tried to mount it forward, close to the radiator and that is where I prefer it.

Registered
You probably could still use the leather bag if you do two things. Apply a good waterproofing oil to the leather and then apply a good grease or waterproofing compound to the sewn seam area.

I used to waterproof my motocross boots using Neatsfoot oil and then some product called Bear Grease to the seams. I could stand in water with them. You do have to repeat every now and again. Probably good for at least a year, maybe more. Plus the leather doesn't dry and crack.

Here is a link to a google search on waterproofing boots, same would apply to your tool roll bag. Now you can have the look you like.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
You probably could still use the leather bag if you do two things. Apply a good waterproofing oil to the leather and then apply a good grease or waterproofing compound to the sewn seam area.

I used to waterproof my motocross boots using Neatsfoot oil and then some product called Bear Grease to the seams. I could stand in water with them. You do have to repeat every now and again. Probably good for at least a year, maybe more. Plus the leather doesn't dry and crack.

Here is a link to a google search on waterproofing boots, same would apply to your tool roll bag. Now you can have the look you like.
Thank you for the tip.
I am familiar with leather hiking bots and while I could never really keep them waterproof in sustained rain there was indeed a way to keep them supple with enough product. I might revisit the leather pouch at some stage but I do believe that modern materials have an edge over nostalgia :)
The new roll is waterproof by design (no big gap but sealed zippers) and will keep content dry

Registered
Awe, c'mon, gotta go old school! 馃榿

The trick for the MX boots was the Bear Grease around the seams.

Registered
I use a mixture, not only for leather but also for cloth, that works wonders:

33% bee wax, 33% boiled linseed oil, 33% mineral spirit. There are many recipes out there but that's the one I've used.

I use a cheap wax epilating machine to mix it and keep it warm and avoid any flame. If you know the concept, it's the compound use to make tin cloth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts