XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I tried to install my new bar end mirrors and for the first time in a long time I discovered that I did not have the tools for the job :frown2:

So what is the right tool to unscrew that bolt?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was sure it was a 8mm allen socket. I sold mine, so can't confirm, but I replaced mine with the HMV heavy bar ends and they are 8mm. Disregard that star looking thing in the middle, it's an allen around it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
You are dealing with a tamper proof hex socket bolt. Takes a special socket, like these - click here, or
. No idea why the double click deal, the two buttons are the same thing, the other is the italicized underlined link.

If I knew what country you lived in, aka fill in a bit of your user CP, I'd know if you could access the sources.

If these are not available to you, do a search for "tamper resistant hex sockets". Should get you somewhere.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Entirely possible they fit onto the tooling better for mass production assembly.

I know my students can destroy a phillips bit when using a power screwdriver for assembly of parts in woods class. They do a bit better with square drive and far better with torx drive, but still a lot of them destroy the bits because they can't hold the drill straight to the fastener. I'm betting those tamper resistant fasteners hold even better on the bit tip.

Pick up a set of the bits. Oh, and consider putting your country of residence in your user CP (control panel) to give people a general hint of where you are located for better references like where to find something like a tool or a shop. If you aren't in the U.S. the links I provided are probably useless, but odds are you can find what you need near you.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Was the star part deep enough it allowed the use of the allen head or did you have the socket with the open end to fit? I'm curious.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Good to know. Ordinarily the star is flush with the outside edge when it is a tamper resistant fastener. That is why I asked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts