XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any high mileage XSR's out there currently? If so, what have been the issues experienced?
I've come across complaints of noisy gearboxes and some rusting of frame parts. Are there any inherent weaknesses?
The pricing for a 2020 have come up $9K OTD, considering we're headed towards August soon, I'm surprised about the pricing unless it's just a Covid19 thing. Seems like a lot of money for a less than 700CC basic motorcycle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You might want to search Yamaha dealer inventories for new but unsold 2019 XSR700 models. They are technically the same bike, only color change.

You can offer $7209 (as your base price) and likely will get any dealer who has one willing to make the deal.

And we all know 2019 gunmetal grey and red is the fastest color hahaha...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Coolant pipes and swing-arms corrode, my bike has only done 3000 miles (2018) and both are starting to look like they are going that way despite ACF50 treatment. Used daily since March, can only imagine what the road salt will do to it in Winter. Thin paint on tank too and various cheap fasteners that can be replaced cheaply with stainless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
ive done 55000kms on my bike and never missed a beat. I live in Australia and near the ocean but no corrosion anywhere.
i get serviced on time and only use top oil, filters and coolant.
id think mine will go 5 times what’s on the clock right now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to search Yamaha dealer inventories for new but unsold 2019 XSR700 models. They are technically the same bike, only color change.

You can offer $7209 (as your base price) and likely will get any dealer who has one willing to make the deal.

And we all know 2019 gunmetal grey and red is the fastest color hahaha...
If the Yamaha site is correct, I'll have to travel 160 miles to sit on either a 19 or 20. I personally have not seen any year XSR on the roads in my area so this might be a bit of a search. I tend to like the 20 better although this is due to the Gold wheels. I'm not gold crazy although feel it's a nice change from the whole black everything....I'm old school:)
G.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coolant pipes and swing-arms corrode, my bike has only done 3000 miles (2018) and both are starting to look like they are going that way despite ACF50 treatment. Used daily since March, can only imagine what the road salt will do to it in Winter. Thin paint on tank too and various cheap fasteners that can be replaced cheaply with stainless.
While I'm not close to salt water, I do live in a state that loves to put salt down in the winter which remains in the spring until a flood or so. Is there a stainless replacement coolant pipe available? I could powder coat the swingarm and as you mentioned install stainless fasteners although I should not have to.
G.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,
ive done 55000kms on my bike and never missed a beat. I live in Australia and near the ocean but no corrosion anywhere.
i get serviced on time and only use top oil, filters and coolant.
id think mine will go 5 times what’s on the clock right now.
Thanks for the feedback, I typically do all my own maintenance and keep a eye on things. My DR has 26,000 and still looks relatively fresh.
G.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's your advantage, that there still are a couple of 2019 models new and unsold within 150 miles. Dealers want to clear those models from their floor plan, Yamaha offers them incentives to make room for new models.

I trailered a 1999 bike out of a dealership 100 miles from where I live in June 2020, at big discount and withe major discount on parts I wanted.

Make an offer at $6599, then close the deal at less than $7K. Rent a trailer if you need and go get it, the price is so right for you amigo

·
Registered
313 Posts
Are there any high mileage XSR's out there currently? If so, what have been the issues experienced?
I've come across complaints of noisy gearboxes and some rusting of frame parts. Are there any inherent weaknesses?
The pricing for a 2020 have come up $9K OTD, considering we're headed towards August soon, I'm surprised about the pricing unless it's just a Covid19 thing. Seems like a lot of money for a less than 700CC basic motorcycle.
Dealers may not be quite so flexible since the plants shut down for the Covid19 pandemic, causing a shortage of vehicles and parts to make vehicles at this point.

That's your advantage, that there still are a couple of 2019 models new and unsold within 150 miles. Dealers want to clear those models from their floor plan, Yamaha offers them incentives to make room for new models.

I trailered a 1999 bike out of a dealership 100 miles from where I live in June 2020, at big discount and withe major discount on parts I wanted.

Make an offer at $6599, then close the deal at less than $7K. Rent a trailer if you need and go get it, the price is so right for you amigo
You better have gotten a heck of a deal on a 21 year old bike! 1999?

Again, depends on the area. Seems the dealers in my area are starting to get short on some inventory. The Yamaha incentive last year was only $500. I came in around $8700 including tax/title/temp tag. If I had snagged the one they had on the floor a week earlier I might have gotten the price down around $8000, but I was too late and they had to find one for me.

But I bought where I wanted to buy, because they are a smaller dealership and I have a decent deal on parts I use a lot in my sideline business plus they stock the parts in quantity for me. So I did pay a bit more on the bike. What I paid will pay back in treatment for my business and when I have anything else done. They already did well for me on some stuff for a Zuma 125 that needed a fuel pump.

Pricing is really going to depend on where the OP is and if the dealer has the bike on the floor and wants to make it go away. In Ohio it seems bike sales have picked up pretty well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealers may not be quite so flexible since the plants shut down for the Covid19 pandemic, causing a shortage of vehicles and parts to make vehicles at this point.

You better have gotten a heck of a deal on a 21 year old bike! 1999?

Again, depends on the area. Seems the dealers in my area are starting to get short on some inventory. The Yamaha incentive last year was only $500. I came in around $8700 including tax/title/temp tag. If I had snagged the one they had on the floor a week earlier I might have gotten the price down around $8000, but I was too late and they had to find one for me.

But I bought where I wanted to buy, because they are a smaller dealership and I have a decent deal on parts I use a lot in my sideline business plus they stock the parts in quantity for me. So I did pay a bit more on the bike. What I paid will pay back in treatment for my business and when I have anything else done. They already did well for me on some stuff for a Zuma 125 that needed a fuel pump.

Pricing is really going to depend on where the OP is and if the dealer has the bike on the floor and wants to make it go away. In Ohio it seems bike sales have picked up pretty well.
Oddly enough I live in a County which has 191,000 people and there isn't (1) dealership:(, (40) years ago we had (14)!
G.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've had my bike now for a bit over two years and it still looks as god as the day I bought it. I keep it clean and maintained, which really isn't all that much work. I do keep it in the garage when I'm not using it, same with all my stuff. Yamaha has always made a good product, probably as good as, or better than most. You get what you pay for and that can be the basics or the fluff. Personally I don't need much more than than a couple wheels and a motor to make it go. I don't need an easy chair to sit on or a display that looks like the cockpit of a 737. There are those who do but you pay a hefty price for all that fluff and fancy stuff. Dealers are dying because the audience has turned to other power products like sidbysides and watercraft. If we push them too far, penny-pinching, there won't be many left at all then we will be the losers. Fair is fair, give em a break.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I almost forgot what this post was originally about. My 2018 XSR has 11,000 miles on it since I purchased in May of 2019. I find no evidence of rust, tarnish, thin paint or corrosion of any sort. I do keep it fairly clean, but nothing out of the ordinary. A bit of polish occasionally is good for it.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I could be our lousy climate and the amount of salt the risk averse councils splatter all over the roads at the first sign of cold weather. I plan on laying mine up over the winter as it's a big investment and it can't do it any good riding it in the conditions we have here in the Uk. I will need to look into the best way to keep it off the road for a few months, ie trickle charge the battery, cover it in grease etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts