XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tis Jeff ere....
Thought i'd join this forum cos i'm thinking about buying an XSR700 as a stablemate to my current bike, a Tracer 900.
Been well pleased with the Tracer in the 2 yrs i've had it, so that wont be leaving me. But i like naked street bikes as well and the XSR would give me another Yam to play with. I did road test the MT07, but although i loved the engine, the bike just felt physically too small for me and i was cramped on it. I've sat on the XSR7 and it seems to fit me a lot better, i also far prefer the looks of it to the standard MT07.
Just gotta get a test ride on one.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The Tracer 900 is a great bike especially if you like to take weekend tours around the country. Are you thinking of the xsr700 as more of a daily rider?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum! The Tracer 900 is a great bike especially if you like to take weekend tours around the country. Are you thinking of the xsr700 as more of a daily rider?
My Tracer gets used for longer rides, some touring and going to mc rallies. Its a good bike for this and is good for loading up with luggage and my camping gear. Did have a Yam Super Tenere 1200 before, but it was a bit of a leviathan with its 260 kilo weight, so i chopped it in for the Tracer.
The XSR7, if i buy one, will just be used as a sunday toy and shorter rideouts. But i also like having something different to ride occasionally.
For the past few years i've also had a Suzi GSX750W Inazuma, but i recently sold it, i'm hoping the XSR7 will replace it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
My Tracer gets used for longer rides, some touring and going to mc rallies. Its a good bike for this and is good for loading up with luggage and my camping gear. Did have a Yam Super Tenere 1200 before, but it was a bit of a leviathan with its 260 kilo weight, so i chopped it in for the Tracer.
The XSR7, if i buy one, will just be used as a sunday toy and shorter rideouts. But i also like having something different to ride occasionally.
For the past few years i've also had a Suzi GSX750W Inazuma, but i recently sold it, i'm hoping the XSR7 will replace it.
I'm in a similar position. The XSR700 for me will be for city riding and its retro look helps for that, fits right into even the wealthier areas of the city that I sometimes run errands into. Guaranteed someone will ask if its a Ducati :D

Plus even in regular parts of the city it will still look good and stand out among the many sport bikes, cruisers, etc. that you typically see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The xsr700 has a lower displacement at 689cc compared to the GSX750W Inazuma, but it definitely has the retro look down. Have you test ridden one yet?
Not test rode the XSR7 yet, but i did test the MT07 and loved the engine. As i mentioned earlier the MT07 felt really small though and it didn't seem to suit my 6'2" frame. When i sat on an XSR in a dealers, it seemed to fit me better. It has a higher seat height, so more room to the pegs and the bars being wider and the different style of the bike all combined to give the bike a bigger feel than the MT.
Of course i wont know for certain how it'll fit me until i ride one, which will be in the next month or so.
The GSX750 i had, had 10bhp more than the XSR.... but the XSR felt more powerful than its 74bhp spec. Of course its a modern engine and lighter than the GSX.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in a similar position. The XSR700 for me will be for city riding and its retro look helps for that, fits right into even the wealthier areas of the city that I sometimes run errands into. Guaranteed someone will ask if its a Ducati :D

Plus even in regular parts of the city it will still look good and stand out among the many sport bikes, cruisers, etc. that you typically see.
For naked street bikes, i prefer the retro look..... mainly because they remind me of the sort of bikes i was riding back in the 70's & early 80's.
My first big bike after passing my test was a Honda CB650Z.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Hi Jeff
Welcome aboard, i'm 6'2 and find the XSR fits me just fine- i find it very comfortable...although this is my first bike so i can't really compare it to anything else..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Jeff
Welcome aboard, i'm 6'2 and find the XSR fits me just fine- i find it very comfortable...although this is my first bike so i can't really compare it to anything else..
Thats good to hear.... although how a bike feels from one person to another is highly subjective.
I am noticing how small they seem to make a lot of bikes nowadays, especially sports & naked bikes. I thought the standard MT07 felt and looked tiny and when i was testriding it i passed a shop window and clocked my reflection, it looked like i was on a little 125cc bike.
I also roadtested the standard MT09 and even though its not much bigger than the MT07, it felt a lot bigger riding it. But i knew i'd want the Tracer with that engine.
I'm really hoping it does suit me, because their isn't anything else out atm in naked street bikes that i fancy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thats good to hear.... although how a bike feels from one person to another is highly subjective.
I am noticing how small they seem to make a lot of bikes nowadays, especially sports & naked bikes. I thought the standard MT07 felt and looked tiny and when i was testriding it i passed a shop window and clocked my reflection, it looked like i was on a little 125cc bike.
I also roadtested the standard MT09 and even though its not much bigger than the MT07, it felt a lot bigger riding it. But i knew i'd want the Tracer with that engine.
I'm really hoping it does suit me, because their isn't anything else out atm in naked street bikes that i fancy.
Hi Jeffo,

Have a play on

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Its a great website that lets you input your height and inseam and choose which bike you want and it sits a cut out figurine on the bike so you can see what you would generally look like ergonomically. I love it and use it all the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Jeffo,

Have a play on

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Its a great website that lets you input your height and inseam and choose which bike you want and it sits a cut out figurine on the bike so you can see what you would generally look like ergonomically. I love it and use it all the time.
Not come across that site before, i like it and have stuck it in my favourites.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My height and inside leg on my previous GSX750.......

And on the XSR700.....

The Suzi looks like it fits me better.

I've also looked at the restyled Yam XJR1300, which i can get brand new for £7K.... but its a bit old tech now, quite heavy and only a 5 speed box. Does seem to fit me well tho.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh what a shame it's not showing up. Can you screen shot the image and attach it instead?
They were there for a day or so, but obviously the site doesn't like me C&P'ing their images.
How do i screen shot ?..... i'm bit crap at computer stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts