XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now a proud owner of a 2016 XSR700. 3 days ago.
It has 5000 km. And the first impressions are great! So much power in a lightweight motorcycle.

I've been driving only small scooters before. One thing I notice is that the ventilation of the motor has switched on at least 2 times. With the scooters, it only happened in the summer. As I'm not an experienced driver in more powerful bikes, I don't really know if it's normal.

The motorcycle is beautiful (it's the green forest and white painting). Simple to drive, and has so much power even in the low rpm. It has a powerful kick that I'm still getting used to. I'm in the process of changing the driving style, but I hope I'll get the most of it soon.

One thing that I also have noticed it's that it can easily drive a steep road in the 4th or even 5th "speed" (clutch). Am I writing correctly? It's really amazing for a person coming from a scooter.

Also, did I mentioned that it's beautiful? So many heads turned to see this beauty. :grin2:

Any advice or threads here in the forum worth reading for a beginner like me?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The cooling fan often comes on if the bike has been worked hard, then idles for a while (eg when stopped at traffic lights). Advice? If you're still getting used to the extra power, take it steady!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm now a proud owner of a 2016 XSR700. 3 days ago.
... One thing I notice is that the ventilation of the motor has switched on at least 2 times...
Check the coolant temperature on the gauge. If it is frequently above 100C when not stopped in traffic, ask the yamaha dealer to check/purge the cooling circuit next time you take it in.

One thing that I also have noticed it's that it can easily drive a steep road in the 4th or even 5th "speed" (clutch).
don't! low revs under load = engine knocking. Not sure if the engine has a knock sensor, but, even if it does, it does not totally solve the problem. Anyway, that's what the gearbox is for ;)

Luis

·
Registered
191 Posts
another pointer... it sounds like you bought it used. Note that there have been at least 2 recalls that I know of and the dealer may not have your particulars. Check with them.

Luis.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check the coolant temperature on the gauge. If it is frequently above 100C when not stopped in traffic, ask the yamaha dealer to check/purge the cooling circuit next time you take it in.

don't! low revs under load = engine knocking. Not sure if the engine has a knock sensor, but, even if it does, it does not totally solve the problem. Anyway, that's what the gearbox is for ;)

Luis
No, it's not frequently. It only happens from time to time. I already went to the dealership, and he said it's normal.

In regard to the gearbox, I'm now following the advice in the Yamaha XSR700 manual:
https://ownersmanuals2.com/yamaha/xsr700-2017-owners-manual-72570
Page 5-4

They have the recommended shift points up and down.
Also, I try to keep the "ECO" mode and following the tips to reduce fuel consumption.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
another pointer... it sounds like you bought it used. Note that there have been at least 2 recalls that I know of and the dealer may not have your particulars. Check with them.

Luis.
Yes, I bought it used. The bike is from 2016. Do you know what were the recalls about? I know that this bike has been in 2 periodic maintenance (1000 km and 5000 km). The maintenance of the 5000 km, was just before I bought it. Also, they gave me 1 year of warranty.

Right now I can't see any problem with the bike. It's perfect and smooth. My dream bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Luis.
Regarding this warning, I went to Yamaha and they said that mine was brought in for the recalls. They said they have corrected everything. They even show me what they did.

Thanks Luis!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts