XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got my bike two weeks ago, this is my first bike and I have never ridden before. I chose the xsr because I think it is one of the most beautiful bikes out there and we are getting to know each other now. For now, I have only relocated the speedo with the Gilles Tooling bracket, got a radiator cover cheap of amazon, installed crash bars by SW Motech that I find look great on the bike, and bought the Sys bags also by SW Motech that I already dislike, they look great but man, they are not practical at all!

I plan on raising the pedals a little, change the levers since they seem too far for my hands, and further down the road change the exhaust because it hurts my eyes every time I look at it. I wanted to put on the tank pads but they cover the logo, so I am on the lookout for some smaller alternatives. And of course the Dart Marlin screen after the summer.

I’ve been reading the forum for some time now to help with my decision, and I am glad to be here now with all of you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Welcome Kaktiki. If it's only the aesthetics of the exhaust you don't like, you could try spraying the end cover black. I did mine with a can of matt finish high temp paint - much cheaper than a new system. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything for the sound!

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome Kaktiki. If it's only the aesthetics of the exhaust you don't like, you could try spraying the end cover black. I did mine with a can of matt finish high temp paint - much cheaper than a new system. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything for the sound!
The problem for me was seeing a big metal box hanging under an otherwise beautiful bike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The black end cover looks cool on your bike. On mine I find it looks ok since the bike is silver. But the big box below is horrible and the welds looks like scars in my opinion. I know, it is supposed to be sort of the “industrial” look, but I just don’t get it on this bike. On no bike actually, it just looks sloppy and unfinished.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome to the club!
The stock exhaust belongs in the trash looks aweful and sounds lame.

·
Registered
30 Posts
bought the Sys bags also by SW Motech that I already dislike, they look great but man, they are not practical at all!

Beautiful bike! Check out mine in another post here in the New Member section.

May I ask, what is the problem with the Sys Bags? I was looking at those!

And what is the small bag on the side, near the oil reservoir?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beautiful bike! Check out mine in another post here in the New Member section.

May I ask, what is the problem with the Sys Bags? I was looking at those!

And what is the small bag on the side, near the oil reservoir?

That is where I carry the alarm, that yellow thing attached to the front disc.

The Sysbags look great on the bike and the quality is great. The attachment is ok but definitely a two hand job. It’s the form factor, they are narrow and deep, and the roll top is narrowing at the top, so the opening is narrower than the bag itself. I think that is common, I have seen that on other panniers with roll top. But as the bags are narrow, so is the opening, and putting bigger stuff inside is like squeezing it in. Had they made them shallower but wider, they would have been much more practical.

Also, the carry handles are narrow, with the bags full and heavy they cut into my hands. There is no shoulder strap. I will have to invent something for that.

I did not want the over the seat saddle bags, that’s why I did not chose the Blaze saddle bags (and the opening on those is quite small too). I actually wanted the Hepco Becker Street panniers but I could not get them at the time, so I chose these on the spur of the moment.

Now, they are not all that bad, I guess it depends on what you are looking for. If you need something to carry your day to day stuff to work, they are perfectly fine. Since I carry my stuff in the backpack (does not fit into the panniers) I only use the panniers to do my shopping and I find them a little small for that. Or maybe I just buy too much stuff! :wink2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is where I carry the alarm, that yellow thing attached to the front disc.

Which brand makes those, and what kind of attachment do they have? Can you put a bigger picture?

Yes I agree, our bikes make us buy so much stuff! :grin2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which brand makes those, and what kind of attachment do they have? Can you put a bigger picture?

Yes I agree, our bikes make us buy so much stuff! :grin2:
It’s just an ordinary disc lock with alarm and memory cable. The carry bag came with it. It has a velcro flap to attach to the bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It’s just an ordinary disc lock with alarm and memory cable. The carry bag came with it. It has a velcro flap to attach to the bike.
Oh I see... I would or mind finding such a bag... Will start looking for one, to carry the handle lock I have more easily!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I see... I would or mind finding such a bag... Will start looking for one, to carry the handle lock I have more easily!
You could check out amazon for handlebar pouch or tool bag, I think they small enough and can attach them anywhere on the bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kaktiki;86570 There is no shoulder strap. [/QUOTE said:
I would like to amend my statement above, since I have found out that one of the straps included with the bags is a shoulder strap. The instructions aren't very clear so I did not notice it when I first read them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts