XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am Vincent from London.

I have just purchased a used 2018 XSR700 to replace my 2004 Suzuki Bandit as they are changing emission laws in London from April this year.

All pre-2008 bikes (apart from historic vehicles ones) will need to pay the emission charge which is around £12 per day I think so I had to change bikes not to pay the daily charge.

I would be interested in knowing if there are any London garages that can help with servicing and also ECU Flashing.

Thank you

Vincent

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
Welcome, Vincent. Basic servicing (ie oil + filter change) is very easy to do on the XSR - personally I wouldn't pay exorbitant garage labour charges for it. Hopefully someone can recommend a good independent London workshop to you. Don't worry about warranty concerns - you won't need to claim!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hello Vincent. I don't understand your issue with the. Bandit. You mean, if you already have a vehicle and emission laws change, you don't have a grandfather clause that lets you continue to use your existing vehicle without new costs? In most cases that I've ever run into, only if it was sold to a new owner would that kind of cost be involved. I think that stinks pretty bad.

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
I think that stinks pretty bad.
Great pun, Flyerdon!

But, moving from an '04 Bandit to an '18 XSR isn't so bad, really. London's emissions controls are certainly needed.....but most of the pollution comes from buses, taxis and coaches - often at a standstill and running their engines to keep their air-con going. The occasional older bike isn't going to make much difference, so it does seem harsh.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome, Vincent. Basic servicing (ie oil + filter change) is very easy to do on the XSR - personally I wouldn't pay exorbitant garage labour charges for it. Hopefully someone can recommend a good independent London workshop to you. Don't worry about warranty concerns - you won't need to claim!
My main reason for asking about a "real" Yamaha garage is to retain the warranty, yes.

The bike has 3,000 miles and was last serviced at 865 miles so I need to check intervals, etc.

I have also read somewhere on here that the waterpump gaskets do sometimes leak so I want to make sure that I've not tweaked the bike to the point where it invalidates the warranty...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Vincent. I don't understand your issue with the. Bandit. You mean, if you already have a vehicle and emission laws change, you don't have a grandfather clause that lets you continue to use your existing vehicle without new costs? In most cases that I've ever run into, only if it was sold to a new owner would that kind of cost be involved. I think that stinks pretty bad.
Hi Flyerdon,

Grandfather clauses don't exist in the UK.

All motorbikes have to be Euro3 compliant to enter central London without paying the £12.50 per day fee.

Here is a link to the official site:
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/motorcycles-mopeds-and-more?intcmp=54365

You could technically modify your non Euro3 compliant motorbike then get it re-registered as compliant (I guess you would need a catalytic converter to start with) but that would not really be cost-effective.

The central London zone is quite small and the rest of the UK is not affected. I just happen to work there...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts