XSR 700 Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have a ride on a sunny day and tell about it. Or better, write it up and show some pictures.

When I ride south, I can do it for an hour, either on Autobahn or country roads. I will enter the Eifel and will find some/a lot of remote curvy roads and will have a good time. So I did yesterday. My idea was to take some pictures in the driveway to Nordschleife. But honestly, XSR is not a race bike which needs to pose between all the other racing vehicles.
XSR is something which you find on the outside lane in the braking zone before a hairpin. Just overtaking a group of Hypermotard only by and on the brakes. Or in front of a BMW GS which eagerly but desperately tries to overtake. On the straight not enough power, or the same too short, maybe because the heavy weight not that fast or easy to handle like little XSR. Even on a free and wide floating curvy road, overtake some of these super sports, if you run on them, little pony.
All in all situations in which a camera in my hand would only provoke the others. So when I rode home, ending in the plain and lowlands again, I stopped.

View attachment 24942

View attachment 24943

View attachment 24944

Enjoy your rides,
hombacher
hi hombacher :) ive noticed youve been using that ls2 helmet for a while now. Do you mind me asking which model is it and how satisfied are you with it?
btw I love your bike and the tasteful mods youve done to it :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
hi hombacher :) ive noticed youve been using that ls2 helmet for a while now. Do you mind me asking which model is it and how satisfied are you with it?
[..]

LS2 FF323 Arrow R was/is the name. Meanwhile only Arrow C is listed on LS2 HP. But you can find it still at the typical dealers such as FC Moto ( link ).

Arrow R is very nice, I think about 3 years in use and still fine. For street helmets I often tend to the maker's road racing line or products. Due its heavy ventilation and double D-ring chin strap. And Arrow C is fulfilling this demand, it also offers a very wide visor area. With that good ventilation, I do not mind that there are only a few visor positions possible. Locked and closed, unlocked and opened to a little gap, and fully open. This is enough for me, others may be disappointed.
Due to its ventilation it is loud as other race helmets are as well. As I wear otoplasties when riding it is no problem at all. The helmet is light and very good balanced on a naked bike in clean air. 230 - 250 km/h getting upright in the brake zone before a curve, all fine and no head shaking to find your line.

Replacement visors are quite cheap, around 25 to 50 Euro. And the biggest advantage, for a sporty used helmet, it is completely demountable and the interior can be washed. That made me wonder years ago when buying all the Shoei or Arai for 500 and more, that the inner textile could not be removed. And the visors, got insanely expensive. Especially if you are riding a little bit, it is possible to need two or more per season.

Being satisfied with my street LS2, with no hesitation,

off-road helmet was replaced by a LS2 as well. What they actually are able to perform to perfection, chrome and mirrored to all kind of plastics.
And again, good fit, very good ventilation, fully demountable.

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Often it is a gut feeling only, but yesterday we have seen the proof. The one still dirty from last year and season, the other for the first time three digits on the odo.

First considerable tour this year, putting some kilometers on the clocks. And it is half the year already. So we both hope, my wife and me, that we now have continuously more opportunities to get out and have a ride. So next to all complaining and hoping, this was a nice round of riding yesterday, enjoyed it a lot.

New little XSR is running fine and my wife likes it. Old little XSR is running fine as well...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Enjoyed two fantastic days on the race track in June. This time with transponder and my objective to train the line. It was nice to see, how i improved over the turns. But here and there, either right or left down in the curve, my boots hit the ground.
Maybe a sloppy foot position from time to time. But even with checking it several times, I hit the ground. Why not improving with some new parts? A new pair of rear sets, the golden times are over,

A little more high up, a little more backwards:

And the pegs are shorter as well. Have to book an other track day this year. It is always good to proof the upgrades, I think.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Some addition to the last reporting. Even with an other dozen of months on the clock of life, some annoying Pandemic pounds around on the hips, it still feels familiar and comfortable to ride a little focussed, spirited and full throttle where full throttle is need for it.

As said before, this event was more train the line. This not only by accident or from time to time. It was hard to believe from the instructor, when he was telling about the line, numerous points (not areas) to hit and how to achieve this. This telling out of a 1000 or 600 supersport perspective. On the second day I had the chance to watch some laps of the R3 Cup, in which young riders showed me, what it means discipline and precision, round by round and even if you are 10 or 15 behind each other.

Okay, the predefined line to race was on the white strip. So I missed it here for about 2 or 5 cm, riding too much right offside. Nobody will blame me for this, but I learned so much. And riding in the predetermined line, meeting or or hitting the points made me much faster and constantly in lap time on riding.
There is no new star born, I am just an old fart compared to some talents in the paddock. Other difference is in appearance and body built. Anyhow, when everything runs smooth and even before the curve, in the curve and out of the curve...

...you have so much more speed, even enough to choose the outer line and you are that far away on the next straight, that no HP will bring you in front of me again. A nice outcome of proper riding and a priceless experience just to sniff past those R6, R1 or MT-10. I am still in love with this little CP2 pony. That much and as I told in these days at an other end of the forums, I have to throw a serious view on this new R7.

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
As already noted here High Alpine Cruising , we made it down to the Alps this year again. This time with the motorbikes after some repeating years in four wheelers. A neighbour companied us. Respecting his never ending story about his first hand, 37 years old XL 600 R, which is the best bike on earth, only riding for hours because of the seat is not possible, we rented a trailer.

We made it down to the South and had some nice fair weather there. Only one day was really off due to heavy rain. We have seen a lot of people, not to say, it was crowded like in August, when it is the core holiday period in Italy. They all were there, hiking, bicycling, motorbiking and as well electro two wheeling people, not sure to which group they belong.

Cloud Sky Water Mountain Water resources

Sometimes you get into some habits, maybe that you have to visit that one fuel station in Canazei and afterwards ride up the Passo di Fedeia to its artifical lake, which you all know from the movies.
While we tried to remind is it James Bond and or or The Italien Job, we enjoyed our cappuccino above the lake.

Wheel Tire Sky Plant Fuel tank

Okay, an other coffee, but it is easier to take a picture, if everything stands still.

Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Car

If we are in the area, it is an other habit to take a picture of the cabin with the pond on the Passo di Manghen. Same position, a look to the left:

Sky Cloud Tire Mountain Wheel

No surprise, my little pony. This is real fun in the Alps, all its characteristics are made for this area. Lightweight riding at its best.

Tire Sky Mountain Car Vehicle

And how you have seen on the pictures already, you are not alone. Everywhere is somebody other riding, driving or just standing in the landscape.
Here anywhere around the Marmolada or as well known as the Sella ronda for our skiing fans.

After one week we returned fine and healthy. Even our trip back home was a little crowded. Inclusive a locked three lane Autobahn. We stood there for an hour or two in the dark, waiting for the opening after cleaning up a heavy car crash. What is coming next?
Maybe a little trip here in the Lower Rhine Area? At 40 meters altitude and with no curves?

·
Registered
32 Posts
@hombacher, thank you for the trip review and sharing some images. Stumbled upon your post the other night but was too tired to reply :p

Bummer that the roads were this crowded at this time of the year but the Passes you habe mentioned really seem worth a visit! Would be a solid 6h drive from my home (without using highways) but I might strap my tent on the back of the bike and check it out at some point next year, planning to do a few days in Italy anyways!

As you you've already stated, I also believe that such areas is where our little XSR shines the most (y)

Already looking forward too hear about your next trip!

Cheers

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
@BeRightBack even if traveling with a tent is your favoured accommodation, for the Dolomites I would prefer a night or two in a hotel.
It is a full year tourist area where the hotels offer a half board with a five-course dinner. Usually a mix of Tyrolian and Italien kitchen at its best. You may not miss it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Little pony:

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

XSR700 is still my number one recommendation if I get asked regarding a nice and most suitable bike for new and experienced or bored riders, looking for lightweight, worry-free riding time. If the MT feels a little too small, try the XSR with that extra room and size for those larger riders.
If your memories go back to a XT 600 or even a Tenere, you should try Yamaha's Tenere 700, which will bring back a lot of the old days.

Jepp, I admit, I am a huge fan of Yamaha's CP2 engine. So since several months I'm a little excited to throw a leg over the R7, which will be here in DE in the beginning of the new year. Not to miss a chance to test ride it, I sealed it and ordered a 60th anniversary, a very nice and proper white and red speed block design.

The idea is to visit my obligatory track days with a little more race tailored equipment. Yes, I am excited and actually a little impatient to book the dates on track.

BR
hombacher

41 - 51 of 51 Posts