XSR 700 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Inverted LCD display

Hey hombacher!

Love your bike... could you post details of how you inverted your LCD display?! It looks great!!

Thanks,
Alec

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi hombacher,
The bike is looking great, and I love seeing someone take it to the track! I'm planning on doing a track day with mine this season.
I'm also interested, how did you invert the LCD on the speedometer?

Thanks!
Rob

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi Alec and Rob,

Thank you for the flowers.

Inverting the speedo display is an idea coming from the German MT-07 forum, where the inverting mod was started: https://www.mt07-forum.de/forum/thre...tieren-how-to/

It is written in German, but there are also some pictures in. You will get an idea how to proceed. The only thing you need is that polarising filter, which you can buy as an adhesive film for the LCD display. That is where the colour change comes from, most of you already know by doing this mod with their calculators during school days.

First remove the the existing film (the hardest task to fulfill) and with the new filter you can rotate it on the glass, when the display is connected to the power. You will see colours from deep Borgunder or into deep blue, then as well white/black and black/white, just by rotating. I have a little touch to blue, just the difference between adjusting and fixing...

There are also a lot of LCD display mods in the web to find. When my explanation does not convince you, please feel free to ask me,

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi @Toel,

I am not really convinced that buying from LSL will be a good deal for someone from Washington State? There should be some suppliers in the States for a set of brake lines, I assume.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
In July I had another track day in Oschersleben. A nice little race track, 3,670 m long, in the middle-north of Germany. The 2 days event I have chosen was organized by a motorbike magazine and is named Twins Only. The correct setting for that little CP2 engine. Like in the last year, it was a lot of fun and joy to ride this bike. With ease and less talent I accomplished all my turns.

And yes, I spent some Euro to buy a set of track pics...

Very fascinating to see these 2strokes again, which nearly completely vanished from the roads already. The smell the noise, all things to give you an argument to overtake at the next chance..

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nice pics and great looking bike. I'm a bit scared to attempt changing the display, although it looks better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi All!

As said before, I was not lucky with the dark colour of the bike. Or dark appearance, black wheels, black front fork, black swingarms and so on.
So I moved forward the idea of changing some colours, such as the powder coating of the wheels, and painting some of the few plastics.
That's her before Christmas:

And here we are now, almost finished:

I re-shaped the front fender, and finally let it paint in black. Some gold for the wheels. Then I really fell in love with the two mufflers Akra and added some additional gold with the foot controls (what a word?):

We still do have winter in our region, so there is no hurry to finish that 'winter project'. Some details like the head light, front turn signals have still to be changed. But I think that I will find some nice parts.

How do you like it?

BR
hombacher

what headlight fairing is that?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Mentioning the fairing from the first picture?

It's coming from S2 Concept in France: Headlight fairing . You may also have a look for the other bits and bites S2 is offering.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
After a period of solid plus zero Celsius degrees, it is getting cold now. As long as it was possible to spend an hour or two in the garage I have already done:

Overhaul and check of the front forks. With 40 tkm on the clock, 30 tkm of them with the Öhlins cartridges, it was more than overdue to make the oil change service. It was a little bit astonishing how good or clear the fork oil still was after 30 tkm. There is some wear at the sliding bushings, a good reason to replace.

With fresh fork oil and new sealings, the front fork overhaul is done. Some days earlier I already dealed an other 'problem' which I was struggling with. It is a lack or weakening in brake performance when pushing hard on twisty roads. At the beginning of any other changes, I already changed to stainless steel braided lines. Then I tested with different brake pads from Brembo and Braking. All good so far. Every change achieved a performance increase. But still not good on long rides through the twisties or mountains. So I decided to give new brake discs a chance:

I am pretty sure ( I really hope) that the fully floating disks will bring the last missing momentum of satisfying brake performance. This said, it was time to leave the frosty garage and being transported to the dealer's (heated) work shop:

A new headlight with more vintage brackets will give the 2020 season look and face. Front side is finished so far, let care about the backside:

Some cutting and grinding later, it looked like that. Very decent from backwards. It is up to you to imagine the necessary license plate, its illumination, and for sure a taillight. Attached to the lower edge of the fender it will look old school or something like a picture in my memory about former motorcycles. But from the side view, the look is so much high up, actually I have no idea to get into a more consistent flowing shape. Now it is high up only.

So I will take the time until season starts to ponder for a better solution. Let us see, what time will bring.

BR
hombacher

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
That's a great headlight - really suits the XSR. It'll be interesting to see how the back end looks when licence plate, lights etc are fitted. A great winter project!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
...after some hassle with the rear fender, the final understanding came up, that the shape of the fender will never ever suit with the high up rear. The weather got better as well so I did a quick solution, which already has seen in the sun:

And of course in the rain too

I love the front view with the classic big round headlight. The little XSR is very grown-up looking, isn't it?

For the rear, I finally picked up this high-up line, which is given by the frame and used an old fashion fender which is offered by Kedo. Originally offered as a TT kit for classy XT 500, there is meanwhile a kit for XSR as well. But I did not follow their idea of a axle mount plate holder. I tended to the off road style of former days

Or if your view is from the backside

Last but not least, I did a very effectice tuning, after fourty thousand of kilometers and several different handlebars. I purchased a new clutch cable for MT-07. It is a little shorter and fits better to the lower handlebar and it is new. The clutch operation is smooth and easy again, lovely.

Enjoy your season 2020, stay save and sane,
hombacher

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Since last Friday I was following the tracking data of a parcel and was updating the parcel service website more often than just a few times. At the end everything developed quite fast, around midnight from Italy to Germany, made some additional kilometers in the early morning hours and was already here, when I arrived home in the evening.

With the help of some coincidence, the new rubber is already fitted.

Hope I will find the time to swap the wheels in the coming days. There are some days with nice weather expected. A good and pleasant opportunity to put some kilometers on the odo before winter :)

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi,

finding the time, taking the chance, etc. No, it makes no sense to buy those nice wheels and store them in the shelf. Half the job is done, discs are swapped and the front wheel fitted.

Added the other half of the picture, it looks like that

The first comments from my wife were a lot of warm words and she really likes the look of the wheels. Same from our neighbour high up from the balcony. Getting the right verve to finish job with the help of the daylight and temperature of these autumn afternoons

Rear wheel completed and ready to be installed.

..and a view from the other side

After three years with this little pony, jepp, it looks very complete, like the job is done.

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Have a ride on a sunny day and tell about it. Or better, write it up and show some pictures.

When I ride south, I can do it for an hour, either on Autobahn or country roads. I will enter the Eifel and will find some/a lot of remote curvy roads and will have a good time. So I did yesterday. My idea was to take some pictures in the driveway to Nordschleife. But honestly, XSR is not a race bike which needs to pose between all the other racing vehicles.
XSR is something which you find on the outside lane in the braking zone before a hairpin. Just overtaking a group of Hypermotard only by and on the brakes. Or in front of a BMW GS which eagerly but desperately tries to overtake. On the straight not enough power, or the same too short, maybe because the heavy weight not that fast or easy to handle like little XSR. Even on a free and wide floating curvy road, overtake some of these super sports, if you run on them, little pony.
All in all situations in which a camera in my hand would only provoke the others. So when I rode home, ending in the plain and lowlands again, I stopped.

Enjoy your rides,
hombacher

21 - 37 of 37 Posts