XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Coming from Germany Lower Rhine Area. Since summer I am back to Yamaha with a used XSR700 in garage metal, built 2016.

I love that little twin, the lean design, the low weight and for sure that stressless riding. It's a fantastic motorbike with wheels, engine seat and handlebar only, a simple sum and looks like children would draw a bike.

Since summer there were some changes or mods done. Still not finished, but meanwhile it is coming close to my idea of a simple and lean motorbike.

BR
hombacher

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Welcome hombacher. Your forest green tank cover looks good and that headlamp sits well on the bike - was it from the XSR 900?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Tigejohn,

Thank you for welcoming.

For the headlight I chose the conversion kit of the French company S2 concept, I think others of this forum installed that kit as well. It is far cheaper than the JvB kit.

My changes listed (hope I get the right translation for all that technical stuff):

- headlight conversion kit S2,
- gaiters JvB via Kedo,
- handle bar end indicators Shin Yo,
- Bagster tank cover green/silver,
- real indicators Shin Yo,
- Evotech tail tidy,
- Öhlins real shock,
- Öhlins cartridge kit with adjustable compression & rebound for the front fork, with linear fork springs,
- Michelin Road 2 rear tire in combination with Pilot Power 1 at the front,
- Gilles chain adjusters with paddock stand bobbins.

BR
hombacher

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Tigerjohn!

I am missing my last reply, just wondering why it was not published...

So I will try it again. The headlamp mentioned is the French headlamp of S2. Similar to the JvB conversion, but also a little different.

My changes so far:

- headlamp incl. mask S2,
- gaitors Kedo (JvB),
- handle bar end indicators by Shin Yo,
- Bagster forest green tank cover, my old Bagster tank bag fits perfect,
- little round backwards by Shin Yo,
- Evotech tail tidy plate holder,
- Öhlins rear shock,
- Öhlins cartridge compression and rebound front fork incl. front fork springs,
- new tires Michelin Road 2 back and Pilot Power 1 front,
- Gilles tooling chain adjuster with paddock stand bobbins
- Yamaha single seat.

Next changes will be the "Vintech" tail light from Yamaha and the Yamaha heated grips.

What do you think about plastic coating of the wheels? Maybe a light silver, to brighten up that close to dark black look of the bike?

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi All!

As said before, I was not lucky with the dark colour of the bike. Or dark appearance, black wheels, black front fork, black swingarms and so on.
So I moved forward the idea of changing some colours, such as the powder coating of the wheels, and painting some of the few plastics.
That's her before Christmas:

And here we are now, almost finished:

I re-shaped the front fender, and finally let it paint in black. Some gold for the wheels. Then I really fell in love with the two mufflers Akra and added some additional gold with the foot controls (what a word?):

We still do have winter in our region, so there is no hurry to finish that 'winter project'. Some details like the head light, front turn signals have still to be changed. But I think that I will find some nice parts.

How do you like it?

BR
hombacher

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
looks great, probably safer too, a little more visible in traffic. Maybe these upper fork covers from aliexpress would complement well with the wheels and rear set:

I've got a set in grey metal and I'm happy with the looks and finish.

I was considering changing my wheels to silver, as an alternative to spoke wheels, which would be my preference. The good thing is that we end up with a bike that is unique.

Luis

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi racingkoala,

The XSR/MT/Tracer wheels are quite beautiful, looking light weight, high tech and so on because of their thin spokes. But most of the models have this dark in dark 'the dark side of Japan' design. As a result, since owning my XSR, I was thinking about giving the wheels a more visible look.

As written above, my first idea was something with a bright silver. This would come close to spoke wheels. But then I got hands on these golden rear set. So the decision arrived to go for gold for the wheels as well.

For the front, I think, I come closer to an end, too.

It will be a single head lamp again. Much more smaller than the original one. I still want to relocate the speedometer in front of the handle bar. Therefor a little mount has to be welded. But I think, it will work.

Outside everything is frost-covered, the streets are highly salted, so there is no need to hurry, it is still winter...

BR
hombacher

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am also thinking of silver/chrome wheels like the yard built father son pair of red customs. I've checked out a number of silver powder coat options but they are all just kinda silvery, pretty far from the chromed-spoked wheels. Thinking of a couple urethane or rattle can silver/chrome options and see how they look.

Don't know if I'll do it or a local shop.

Matt, Haymarket, VA

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the silver idea for the wheels.

Years ago I owned a XJR 1200 SP, or called 'Sarron', I loved those silver wheels, also in contrast to the blue.

But as you can see above, I missed the target a little and went for gold for the XSR.

The powder coating was done by a shop, which also offers something which they call:

'Pulverbeschichtung in Silber-Chromo Optik', I searched on their side, but did not find the English page: Menze Fahrzeugteile

Something, which comes close to the optical impression of chrome or polished wheels. But spraying these XSR wheels by myself, as you want to do, that was never an option for me.
I think this is a real pain. I know from professional painters, that they even refuse the job.

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...some bar end mirrors were added. Still not sure, wether upright or bad ass downside:

What I still have to do is a handcrafted bracket to mount the speedo in front of the handle bar. Just above the headlight, as we learned it from classic motorbikes.

And then, I think I will be finished for this season.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hoi!

I have finished my winter mods so far. With the painted speedo mount the modding works may be done now.

Not really planned, but after being inspired by a thread in the German MT-07 forum, I followed the idea of inverting the speedo LCD display:

Have a nice season and a lot of good kilometers.

BR
hombacher

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is my updated list of modifications:

- headlamp incl. mask S2, replaced by LSL headlight Six-Days and short fork bracket with indicator mount,
- gaitors Kedo (JvB),
- handle bar end indicators by Shin Yo, replaced by Kellermann Atto indicators at fork bracket,
- Bagster forest green tank cover, and my old Bagster tank bag fits perfect,
- little round indicators Arizona backwards by Shin Yo,
- Evotech tail tidy plate holder,
- Yamaha Vintech tail light,
- Öhlins rear shock,
- Öhlins cartridge compression and rebound front fork incl. front fork springs,
- new tires Michelin Road 2 back and Pilot Power 1 front,
- Akrapovic exhaust,
- handcrafted muffler bracket to replace the rear foot pegs,
- LSL stainless steel brake lines for the front brakes,
- handcrafted speedo bracket for relocating the speedometer,
- inverted speedo display,
- MASH bar end mirrors,
- LSL handle bar,
- front fender re-shaped,
- Gilles tooling rearsets with powder coated heel plates,
- Gilles tooling chain adjuster with paddock stand bobbins,
- Yamaha single seat,
- wheels powder coated.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...more than 16 tkm on the clock and the third set of tires is mounted. I have chosen the Michelin Road 5, hoping that they will last for 8 tkm minimum.

For a better braking performance I switched to TRW sinter metal SRT braking pads. Complaining about the undefined and soft locking point, I assumed that this is the fault of the "no wear" OEM braking pads. Others already mentioned, the installed R1 mono block calipers are still very very good. They should work with ease on this lightweight bike.
And I have to say, with the new braking pads, it is a real joy to brake late and precise!

Just a picture of the funny Michelin after the first kilometers:

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Monoblock and Ohlins

Hi Hombacher,

Just saw your bike, it's awesome! I have a question (or two) for you. How does the back and front feel after you installed the Ohlins? And have you installed a R1 Monoblack as your back brake?

compoundeyes

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you very much for all the flowers!

@comoundeyes: I hope your questions right or my explanations above were misleading. Our XSR/MT have already installed the R1 mono block calipers in the front. Most people call them R1 because they were shown first in '97 or '98 on the R1. With the year '98 and following other Yamaha models got them installed also. These calipers were reference in these days and very favoured for any tuning to the brake, or just for optical reasons.
Yamaha is doing many things building kit wise and the interchange can often be done very easy. If you click one page back, you find my old XJR1200 with a FZR upside down fork and the mentioned R1 calipers.

If you today go for new brake pads for your XSR, you can use the same spare parts code MCB611 at TRW Lucas for example, which is the old R1 identifier.

As I do not use the rear brake very often, it remained unchanged, no other pads. The mounted caliper is the actual standard Yamaha caliper, which you will find at MT-09 as well and at many other models since years.

Regarding the Öhlins upgrade, yes, it is a little hard and less comfortable. It is absolutely different to the standard suspension. I love it, because it is very precise and cornering or long curves make a lot more fun with this upgrade. No more swinging of the former wobble suspension. The bike feels even less heavy.
If you go through the forum, you will find a lot of suggestions for different possibilities to upgrade your suspension. Not every way fits to your expectations or riding style.

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now I have an avatar, too. It is from my track day at Mettet/Belgium.

Two weeks ago, I spent a very enjoyable day on track. I have to comment, that I never had such a perfect fitting bike before. Everything was fine, riding to and from the track on wheels also, it made everything easy and with no stress.
I was even that delighted, that I spent some other bucks for those track pics. I want to share with you, see the attachments.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts