XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't help but notice that a few of us have opted for heated grips when buying the bike.

Which make are on as new, Yamaha factory fit or Oxford etc.

Can we get some pictures of them?

Thanks in advance.

Sii

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi I've fitted datatool heated grips.
The control switch it built into the grips so you have no control panel fixed to the bars. They also cut off automatically when the engine is off .good value too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the Yamaha heated grips fitted by the dealer.
They were the first set they had fitted, usually they need to splice into the pilot light circuit so that the grips only come on with the ignition.

These grips connect direct to the battery. Pressing the button at the top lights up all 3 lights, a light goes out each time the button is pressed. If the engine is not running, the lights come on but there is no heat.
Leave them on for 5~10 minutes with the engine off and they turn off automatically.
They must be sensing a current going into the battery when the engine is running.

With all 3 lights on they get very hot. Even with thick waterproof winter gloves on, I can feel the heat on the lowest setting.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do you wear gloves with them or do you put a cover over them so that your hand and the grip are covered in the same pocket? The latter seems like it would keep your hands warmer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I always wear gloves when riding. Insulated waterproof ones in winter, lighter weight ones in summer.
With handlebar muffs over the grips you can wear summer gloves all through the winter
The muffs keep the wind off and keep the heat in, no wind chill.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gloves always. Insulated goretex when cold, leather 'cruiser' style when warm.
But its rarely warm in Chorley...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the look of the subtle low level ones, without control box.

Chritian, that is the same look I wanted. Front number plate/silver screen, hand guards, heated grips.

90% of the time you can ride with single layer gloves.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Datatool heated grips
How would you say your hand fits the grip with the hand guards installed? With the grip being a little narrower due to the thicker 'inner' part of the grip?

I would say I have medium sized hands, but I have bar end mirrors installed and when I grab my standard grips with my gloves on, I can already feel that my hands are being pushed into the mirrors. See the attached pics without gloves.

My first pick would be original Yamaha grips (looks and being original parts) but these Datatools look nice as well. I really like the lack of control box since I'm trying to keep my bars as clean as possible.

Actually, this question is also for RedDog

I have the Yamaha heated grips fitted by the dealer.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts