XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I know I’m not reinventing the wheel here as I got the idea of using an XSR900 bucket to reduce the depth of the headlight from this forum.
There was allot of info on this, but thanks to DukeSev and Nightic as yours were the threads I read.

Has anyone completed this Mod by reseating the headlight back towards the fork?
I can see from pics that the XSR900 bucket is slimmer so I wondered if rather than mounting it into the same fixing as the stock headlight.
If it could be pushed back towards the forks.
I understand headlight alignment needs to be observed but for me it’s not just the depth of the stock headlight but how far it protrudes out.

Kits like Jvb moto look great but it’s allot of coin once painted. I looked at the S2 concept but again up there with the price and not sure of the indicator positioning on this kit (personal taste.)

Pushing it back with a XSR900 bucket and a couple of adeptors might be the answer, just wondered if anybody had tried it?
Thanks all, stay safe.
(y)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I will be working on it shortly. I have the 900 bucket and plan in mind for the design and process to create what is needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I‘m currently waiting on upper covers for forks and gaiters to be delivered whilst at the same time scratching my head how to raise the front end to fit them.
Is putting a trolley jack with an off cut of wood under the sump a big no no, wondered if anyone had any ideas. Not got allot of trust in the joist in the man cave to use a pulley.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Some years back I ran some hooks into the trusses in the garage and hooked some tie downs on the handlebars to pull the front end in the air. I had a swingarm stand to steady the bike's frame. I was reworking the forks on my Zephyr 550. Get one of the swingarm stands from Harbor Freight, works good on the XSR, although now I have the Gilles adjuster with the stand bobbins for another stand. You could supplement the tiedowns with a jack under the front of the engine for added stability.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've done it two ways, first is the way KLX678 mentioned and the other was with a jack for a quad. The sump has plenty of strength to lift the bike but what you don't want is for the bike to fall in a way that the sump could take a whack from the side or at an angle. Lowering the tubes is somewhat of a job because of the cables and brake lines attached to the calipers and wheel. If you disconnect the ABS sensors you have to be careful not to damage them or get crud on them. Plan on spending some time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the input. I’m still waiting on parts but a little clearer now on how to get that front end up, much appreciated (y)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Good luck KLX678 let us know how it goes. (y)
@Dan's xsr Got the headlight done, found this older thread, here is a link to the one where I show the bucket cut and the bracket dimensions, plus the finish brackets on my bike done in acrylic. Click here Then scroll to the top. I show the amount of cutting needed on the bucket and where the bottom hole for the grommet is drilled. At the very bottom is the finish work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts