XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone other than me feel that the headlamp is pointing too much upwards? When I'm driving down the street I often see that my headlight lights up signs way above the road. A friend of mine driving in front of me also pointed out that my headlamp seemed to be positioned too high.

Has anyone experienced this or adjusted their headlamps?

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Yes, mines exactly the same, it illuminates the road signs high up... my mates MT-07's headlight is no where near as bright either. He says mine is a lot brighter when i'm following him.
It must be just how it's set and i can't see if there is any adjustment.
Have you or anyone else rode in the dark??? does the beam seem high up then??. I've not ventured out on mine at night yet..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't ridden in the dark yet, it's only really dark a couple of hours at night here where I live now during summer :)
Not sure how the headlamp is fastened. I can see the two allen bolts on the side, so if we're lucky maybe it's adjustable if those are loosened. If not, then I'm not sure what to do. Do you think that there might be a light sensor that fixes the issue in the dark?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I haven't ridden in the dark but, IMHO, the H4 bulb is a little dim.

Tomorrow I'll go to the Yamaha's seller to verify if the voltage is correct (it must be 12,5 - 12,8 volts with the engine on)

OverVolt

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have and now that you mention, it might be a bit high, but lights the road quite well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you think that 12,5 - 12,8volts are high?

When the engine is ON the voltage regulator works in this way to guarantee a perfect voltage to charge the battery.
The first hours after the engine is powered off the status of the battery is around 12,90 volts....

If the bulb works with a voltage under 12 - 12,2 the light seems "red" and not white like a "normal" alogen bulb with the correct power in...

(sorry I know my english is terrific... :crying:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you mean that your light seems yellowish and not pure white?
I can't say that I've noticed this, I think my light has a natural yellowish light.

I was checking out if the fan on the radiator actually worked yesterday when I noticed that my engine temp was 106C, so I let my bike idle in the garage a bit and I did notice that the light flickered a little when the fan kicked in. My light seems to be working fine as far as I can tell, only wish the light was not pointed skywards.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Do you think that 12,5 - 12,8volts are high?

When the engine is ON the voltage regulator works in this way to guarantee a perfect voltage to charge the battery.
The first hours after the engine is powered off the status of the battery is around 12,90 volts....

If the bulb works with a voltage under 12 - 12,2 the light seems "red" and not white like a "normal" alogen bulb with the correct power in...

(sorry I know my english is terrific... :crying:)
I think krm700 was saying the headlight beam is a little high, not the voltage:wink2:

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Do you mean that your light seems yellowish and not pure white?
I can't say that I've noticed this, I think my light has a natural yellowish light.

I was checking out if the fan on the radiator actually worked yesterday when I noticed that my engine temp was 106C, so I let my bike idle in the garage a bit and I did notice that the light flickered a little when the fan kicked in. My light seems to be working fine as far as I can tell, only wish the light was not pointed skywards.
I'd say it's a yellowish light to match the retro style/look of the bike but it's definitely brighter than my friends MT-07, like biffy says it's more the fact it seems good for spotting aeroplanes :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
42 Posts
...and I did notice that the light flickered a little when the fan kicked in. My light seems to be working fine as far as I can tell....
This is normal when many electrical devices are turned on at the same time, but when all is off I hope the light is... LIGHT not a candle!! >:)

In few days I'll test the voltage with my digital multimeter

OverVolt

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi buys I'm back ....

last Friday I have compared my bike's light o with another XSR700 from my Yamaha Dealer in Rome: Are the same!!

Probably yellowish light is a feature of this bike, but I don't like this choice of Yamaha... :S

The hunting of a new kind of bulb is open!!

Bye,
OverVolt

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good luck, show us some pictures of before and after if you find a bulb.
Personally I don't mind the yellow light, but I'm always interested in seeing if something can be improved.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello guys, i did my first big ride outside the city at night yesterday and noticed the headlight was too high, also a lot of drivers complaining with light signals. Did anyone went to the seller to check this out?

Thanks..

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can adjust the light beam down, there are 2 holes in the bottom of the headlight bowl and you screw them both clockwise by the same amount on each to lower the beam, it's a 30second job, I had to do mine a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I went to the dealer to fix it too, for some reason the headlight points high, I guess its a very simple job for them to fix it...

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
You can adjust the light beam down, there are 2 holes in the bottom of the headlight bowl and you screw them both clockwise by the same amount on each to lower the beam, it's a 30second job, I had to do mine a couple of weeks ago.
Top man, cheers for that:cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't seem to find these holes, is it underneath the headlight bowl?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can't seem to find these holes, is it underneath the headlight bowl?
Here's a picture I took when I changed the headlamp case, didn't change the lamp though. I highlighted the hole where the lamp can be adjusted. There is another one on the other side at the same height. If I remember correctly, one of them adjusts the pitch (up/down orientation) and the other adjusts the yaw (right/left orientation). Just turn the screws and see what the lamp does :).

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's a picture I took when I changed the headlamp case, didn't change the lamp though. I highlighted the hole where the lamp can be adjusted. There is another one on the other side at the same height. If I remember correctly, one of them adjusts the pitch (up/down orientation) and the other adjusts the yaw (right/left orientation). Just turn the screws and see what the lamp does :).
Thanks man! My bike is standing in a dark garage and I guess I interpreted the " in the bottom" to be "underneath". I was looking into those small holes at the very bottom of the bowl lol. I'll give this a try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine was too high. First night out on it i was following a car and he stopped and glared at me then when i went ahead he followed me on full beam. I stopped he glared and so it went on. If he'd said something it would have been better! Anyhow took it to dealer and they adjusted it in less than two minutes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts