XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my recent holiday I saw a car with a bike hitched to his tow hook. The front wheel was in a bracket up in the air and the rear wheel rolled along on the road.

Would this be a way to get it from A to B quickly, or could you tow it for hundreds of miles like this?

I found a similar unit online, see the attachment (the one I saw was behind a station wagon btw)

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
i read the manual a few weeks ago just before i stuck the bike in for a 6000 mile service and remembered reading something about coasting in neutral so i looked it up again.

section 5-3 of your manual

do not tow the motorcycle for long distances. the transmission is properly lubricated only when the engine is running. inadequate lubrication may damage the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
Better to put it inside a van or on a proper bike trailer (ie both wheels off the road). Towing on the back wheel will square off the rear tyre very quickly. Even better, ride the bike!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i read the manual a few weeks ago just before i stuck the bike in for a 6000 mile service and remembered reading something about coasting in neutral so i looked it up again.

section 5-3 of your manual

do not tow the motorcycle for long distances. the transmission is properly lubricated only when the engine is running. inadequate lubrication may damage the transmission.
Thanks, that makes it a big no-no I guess, or, as Roger suggested take the chain off completely.

And yes, I could ride it to the location, but I'm talking distances of 500/600 miles a day and I'm not going on a bike holiday per se. I just want to bring it with me and use it at the location I end up in (preferably the Alps or someplace). It's not a Tenere :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use a trailer to transport our motorcycles to the resort. But because it was too small, I bought a trailer to transport 4 motorcycles.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts