XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm happy to have found this resource, and I'm super happy with my XSR700. I found a 2018 that had only gone 289 miles in 2 years. It needed a thorough cleaning and an oil change- even thought it isn't even halfway to the break-in change! The bike had been kept in a garage and after washing all the dust away it didn't have a speck of rust or any issues at all.

I had enough in the budget to do some mods- Ohlins shock and cartridges, an Akrapovic exhaust- not the big double pipe one- and some cosmetic stuff.

Man, I love the bike. I've been gravitating toward steadily lighter motorcycles over time after the high water mark of an ST1300. I decided I never want to own another bike that tops 500 lbs. I'm 57, and it's not out of the question that this little Yamaha will be the last bike I every buy. It has some stable mates, but the stable isn't going to get any more crowded.

I haven't put enough miles on it to open it up very much, but the power delivery is right where I want it, the Akra sounds great- not going to make it any louder- and I'm still dialing in the suspension. Truthfully, I'm never going to really exploit the capabilities of the upgrades but being able to get it sprung for my 220-odd lbs. is in itself worth it.

This bike does the single thing I wanted. It lets me just enjoy the ride and the scenery without tempting me to wring it out too much while still having enough to be fun. I CANNOT wait to get it in the mountains. The biggest reason I'm going to leave the new exhaust alone is that I can't abide a loud bike in the mountains. They don't belong to me, I'm just a visitor. I don't want to mess things up for other people. The bike has great manners, everything feels right- and once I get a couple thousand on the clock I think it'll have just enough hoon for me.

Sorry for the ramble. Thanks for letting me in the door.

·
Super Moderator
694 Posts
Welcome, BalancePoint. You're clearly going to have a lot of fun with that XSR but it won't be the last bike you ever buy - trust me! My bike stable is also full, but I'm always planning the next machine. Bikes always come and go - some stay longer than others (like the XSR?) but there's always another one knocking at the stable door. I share your view that lighter machines are a lot more fun than big heavy beasts, (whether the rider is old or young!) - on twisty back lanes, my bike of choice is my CRF 250L. We'd be interested to know what other bikes live in your garage.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi @BalancePoint and Welcome to the forums.

I send out a separate and extra Welcome to your sane understanding of noise polluting the environment. I felt a little missplaced here in the last weeks when newbie after newbie tumbled in and asked for the loudest exhaust.

So I don not know, if it is the age, the experience by life or a general and deeper understanding in respectfulness of others and environment as well. The other point is, thank you for mentioning, if you want real fun in motorcycle riding, take the leightweight option, such as for example like little XSR.

So enjoy and have fun,

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi @BalancePoint and Welcome to the forums.

I send out a separate and extra Welcome to your sane understanding of noise polluting the environment. I felt a little missplaced here in the last weeks when newbie after newbie tumbled in and asked for the loudest exhaust.

So I don not know, if it is the age, the experience by life or a general and deeper understanding in respectfulness of others and environment as well. The other point is, thank you for mentioning, if you want real fun in motorcycle riding, take the leightweight option, such as for example like little XSR.

So enjoy and have fun,

BR
hombacher
It is age, or maturity, I think, just eventually you aren't blasting your music out of your car so someone can hear the "amazing" musical taste you have 20 feet away, and the exhaust same thing. A lot of people have swapped their exhaust to get a nicer note (a new soundtrack), maybe a little louder, and that is cool. If the intent is to make it as loud as possible, that is strictly for attention. Now when I'm riding I want attention too, from other cars, and I get it by making myself visible to them and in the proper place on the road for visibility. Pretty sure loud pipes for cars to know you are on the road as a defense mechanism has been debunked. Plus isn't improving your riding the best defense mechanism, not sloppy riding but everyone get out of my way cause I will pierce your ears. So it stands, the bike is a head turner on the street anyway, even quiet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome, BalancePoint. You're clearly going to have a lot of fun with that XSR but it won't be the last bike you ever buy - trust me! My bike stable is also full, but I'm always planning the next machine. Bikes always come and go - some stay longer than others (like the XSR?) but there's always another one knocking at the stable door. I share your view that lighter machines are a lot more fun than big heavy beasts, (whether the rider is old or young!) - on twisty back lanes, my bike of choice is my CRF 250L. We'd be interested to know what other bikes live in your garage.
When I decided I wanted the XSR I parted ways with my old toaster, a '73 BMW R75/5. I had a lot of fun with that bike, and even got (some) of the investment back, but it was time for it to go to a new home. My other bikes are a Tracer 900 GT, a Scrambler 1200 XC, and an '07 Speed Triple with a rather loud Comp Werkes pipe.

·
Super Moderator
694 Posts
Definitely some room there for a smaller 'fun' bike too....maybe a CRF 300L or a KLX 300?

·
Registered
492 Posts
You sound like me @BalancePoint I picked up a 2018 in the fall of 2019. Haven't ridden much due to work in the fall and spring, then a knee rehab that took a lot of the summer. But your post kind of follows what I've done to an extent. The shock, a fork kit to come (on the shelf, not in yet), and the Delkevic exhaust with the large 18" cannister (perfect sound level a shade over stock). I have been focused a lot on the things I didn't care for in appearance that I knew I could change, like the tail light and headlight bucket along with the rear fender extension removal, and the solo saddle and the C-Racer flat track seat/tail.

The bike is absolutely fun to ride, I'm constantly rolling on the throttle for the surge and the sound. Seems the exhaust is very audible for the rider. I had my son-in-law ride it past me to see how it was and I'd say probably less than 96 dB, which is probably about three times as loud as stock - one of the quietest aftermarket exhausts I've ever heard.

I'm still getting used to the handling and braking. It does require some work to turn in comparison to an FJ-09 I rode, but far from bad.

I sound like you - made the right choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts